Negativity in the hobby

1 hour ago, Fishmanoz said:

For further purchases then it’s worth checking UK retailers v Aust prices.  They aren’t too different except the sets which are way over in Aust.  The main problem remains the very limited availability in Aust.

It would make some good research on demand over in oz for uk model railway stuff. Could be an untapped market for a small business opportunity. Do you have much n the way of Australian railway models?

2 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

It would make some good research on demand over in oz for uk model railway stuff. Could be an untapped market for a small business opportunity. Do you have much n the way of Australian railway models?

Unfortunately you cannot buy direct from Hornby to Oz as they are tied into a restrictive agreement with SMS for distribution of TT120 kit. You can of course buy from anyone who is willing to sell to Oz direct, say from UK.

How a private enterprise would fare importing Hornby kit direct is down to whatever such an entrepreneur can set up. 

Search SMS or Southern Model Supplies and you’ll bring up a lot of discussion of their deal with Hornby that precludes Hornby supplying either wholesale or retail other than to them in Aust. Then SMS supply to Aust retailers.

That deal is so restrictive that Hornby could not even supply an original paid TT:120 Club membership to an Aust address.  Although some supplies of sets and memberships did get through in the first days after first release of TT:120 until Hornby realised/SMS told them they were in breach.  I know, I joined and I ordered an Easterner, both orders being honoured.

The problem is that my belief is that SMS has only ever received one shipment from Hornby and that over 12 months ago.  That shipment had limited variety at the time and nothing released since is available.  However, that’s been overcome since Hornby started selling via UK retailers such as Rails who will supply to Aust at better prices than the retailers here.

Edited by Fishmanoz

2 hours ago, Fishmanoz said:

Search SMS or Southern Model Supplies and you’ll bring up a lot of discussion of their deal with Hornby that precludes Hornby supplying either wholesale or retail other than to them in Aust. Then SMS supply to Aust retailers.

That deal is so restrictive that Hornby could not even supply an original paid TT:120 Club membership to an Aust address.  Although some supplies of sets and memberships did get through in the first days after first release of TT:120 until Hornby realised/SMS told them they were in breach.  I know, I joined and I ordered an Easterner, both orders being honoured.

The problem is that my belief is that SMS has only ever received one shipment from Hornby and that over 12 months ago.  That shipment had limited variety at the time and nothing released since is available.  However, that’s been overcome since Hornby started selling via UK retailers such as Rails who will supply to Aust at better prices than the retailers here.

oh don't get me started on SMS. My local toy store has had nothing but issues with them and we (me and the store since some of the stuff was ordered at my request) have been waiting over 7 months for an order to be fulfilled. It was ordered, paid for by the store and then SMS went radio silent. They won't return the store owner's calls or emails and when she attended the toy fair/trade show thing in Melbourne earlier this year SMS declared that they were 'too busy' to meet with here to discuss the issues.

Honestly I hope that contract/agreement has an end date on it and doesn't get renewed because literally anyone could do a better job than SMS.

4 hours ago, 96RAF said:

Unfortunately you cannot buy direct from Hornby to Oz as they are tied into a restrictive agreement with SMS for distribution of TT120 kit. You can of course buy from anyone who is willing to sell to Oz direct, say from UK.

How a private enterprise would fare importing Hornby kit direct is down to whatever such an entrepreneur can set up. 

I think that any private enterprise would need an UK based partner to get around SMS's agreement. That way it gives Hornby cover as well since they are not selling directly to an Australian company and are instead selling to a UK business (and as such are not in violation of their agreement with SMS)......which then turns around and sells them on to the Australian based group.

The issue then could be a potentially messy warranty situation for the Oz customer - the Oz & UK partners would need a cast iron agreement to handle returns shipping between themselves - since the Hornby warranty would be with UK retailer!