Informative Forum Messages (modified as a test)

Posted (edited)

I found this new feature of the forum to be excellent

large.InformativeForumMessage.jpg.8f244f179976b46584066273ba48144e.jpg

I have always been concerned when a post is moved by moderation.  Will the "newbie" be able to find it?  Given the recent flurry of changes, will I be able to find it 😁

I wonder if a similar informative message will be applied when moderation renames a post.  A post in particular by a "newbie".  Perhaps the message is time limited, say 5 days, such that a newbie can find the post and get comfortable with the new and more appropriate name.  No need to keep that informative message forever!

Bee

Edited by 96RAF
Title change for Bee
  • Like 1

• 96RAF changed the title to Informative Forum Messages (modified as a test)

Certainly an easier system for us than that previously available, and yes, the redirect message deletes itself after 30 days. R-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

I did not see any informative message for the rename of this thread.

Bee

The system puts this in for me. ..

IMG_2043.jpeg

Oh yes, I did see that.  But that is within the post itself.  The newbie has already found the renamed post.

Here is what I meant:

1) Correspondent titles the post "XYZ" in Forum Feedback.

2) Moderator changes the title to "ABC" and places it into "General Discussion"  Can the correspondent find it?

3) When looking at the list of posts in Forum Feedback, we can see the new title "ABC" and there is a note that the post was formerly "XYZ".  In other words, both titles appear.

4) Thus, when the correspondent comes back to find "XYZ", not only can the correspondent see that, but also "ABC", before opening the post to read it.

÷÷÷

Little Tommie titles his post "I have a problem." and places it into "Live Steam". It is a basic problem, how to wire a DC controller to the track.  Moderation renames it "DC Controller Wiring Issue" and moves it to "General Discussion".   Little Tommie comes back.  His post isn't in Live Steam, and he cannot find "I have a problem".  Something was moved out of "Live Steam" but it is named "DC...". Hmmmm.  Will Little Tommie find it?  Do not assume he can find it, the lad cannot figure out how two wires attach between the controller and the two rails.  

What would have been helpful was the name he assigned the post, in the section where he left it. 

But its been moved.  Good thing we now have a sign post!  Happy with that new feature. 

But no external reference that the name of the post was changed from/to.  Sadly, Little Tommie cannot see anything like that.  

Surely, he could sequentially examine each and every post, across forum section after forum section.  If he happens to find the post and open it, he can see the name change, internal to the post.  Kind of useless at that point.

Alternatively, he gives up, the post is too hard to find.  "Those guys don't care about my trains.  I quit."

I would like to emphasize that this is not a complaint or a dig at moderators.  Nothing is wrong with the way we have it.  I was just hopeful that the new feature would also be helpful in the same way for a post rename.  

Bee

Another forum I frequent has bouts of posts being moved about - it depends on the moderator 🙂 Tbf they're usually correct but there have been occasions where posts got moved more than once!   At least on that forum it seems to generate a "MOVED:" prefix on the message title. 

We could upon renaming a title leave in brackets '(...formerly xyz)'. If a post is moved then it does leave a trail for a while and if we adopt the title change protocol and the post is moved then that would be visible externally. Unfortunately there is no external flag if amending a title and leaving it in the same forum. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Of course it is still possible for the new member to find their relocated thread. They can do this by viewing their profile and looking at their activity content. If they’re new to the forum (to which they should read the rules about where to post relevant content so that this issue doesn’t happen to begin with), they won’t have partaken in much activity so they should very easily be able to find their relocated thread

2 hours ago, Troublesome Truck said:

they’re new to the forum (to which they should read the rules about where to post relevant content

Part of the first login process requires acceptance of the rules, so noobies cannot say they didn't know about them.