Lilliput loco made by Hornby?

Posted (edited)

I came across this loco which is made by Liliput, it's in silver which is class A4, called silver link, have tender motor which I think would be ring field. Strange thing is looking at the picture, it have 8 wheels in tender, rear axle have traction tyre on both side, second axle from rear no traction tyres, third exle have traction tyres on both side and last axle have no traction tyres. Why this setup? Also Could this be made by hornby or some other manufacturers?

Edited by Deem

• Deem changed the title to Lilliput loco made by Hornby?
Posted (edited)

I had a blue LNER 4468 Mallard Liliput tender driven locomotive perhaps 45 years ago - formerly Trix.

See this: 

Different manufacturer.

What I remember was the traction tyres were a little fiddly, motor very good and smooth, I believe it was full on OO/HO (OO scale / HO gauge as we all run here - if not TT120).

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Thanks 1

Yes, definitely OO scale.  May need some attention - perhaps cleaning of the motor commutator and replacement brushes, plus the general cleaning of all contacts, removal of old oil / grease and gentle re-oiling and touch of light grease where required.

One thing, if I remember, this plastic is quite inflexible / fragile, so be careful when opening up!  I had to repair my splashers internally as they had cracked.

Al.

Peter's Spares might have traction tyres which could suit if required - spend some time to confirm dimensions and thicknesses.

Ebay obviously - but if I remember these are quite thin.

Al.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Peter's Spares might have traction tyres which could suit if required - spend some time to confirm dimensions and thicknesses.

Ebay obviously - but if I remember these are quite thin.

Al.

Yes AL, I will check out once I received the Loco, for £43.00 included postage, time will tell if this is worth it or not?

Thanks for the video as well. This will help me do the service without any issue.

Edited by Deem

Is it the same one that was re-released by Dapol when they bought the British Trix range? The Trix range was a bit odd as some were to a mid scale between 3.5mm and 4mm while others were to 4mm. they had the A1/A3, A2 and A4 in the original range as well as a BR standard, E2 tank and EM1. There was also a diesel shunter, plus a Western and Warship available with one or two motor bogies. 

I bought the Dapol re-release of the Trans-Pennines DMU as an unpainted kit and modified two Mk 1 coaches to make a 4 car unit but it looks too small alongside my other stock. 

• Like 1

I was a late teenager and had 'recently found' Class 52 Western hydraulics, which quickly became my favourite diesels, and ordered a Liliput Western.

As you say RT, the scale was strangely 'in-between' which wasn't very pleasing.

My first 'full sized OO-scale' Western was a Lima, a couple of years later!

Al.

• Thanks 1

More recently Bachmann aquired the tooling from Dapol, and have sold quite a few versions, but with their split chassis locodrive rather than the trix-liliput tender drive.  I may be wrong but I don't think bachmann have upgraded the tender for a DCC ready version.  They probably (wisely) think that Hornby have got the market covered for A4s so there isn't much point them producing a new chassis for a less detailed body.

Hello

I have received this loco today via post, loco runs but traction is not that great, when I checked I noticed one of the traction tyre is missing. So I checked the wheel size, without tyre wheel is showing 14.5 mm or just over. Lendon of Cardiff have these traction tyres in various sizes, but closest I can find is 15mm. Would that fit or I need to look for 14mm traction tyres?

image.thumb.png.4dce62453618146ec29546a6eeb2f713.png

Hi Deem

I cannot tell you if those are the correct parts, but I can tell you the geometry.

If the OD of the wheel is 14.5 mm, then a 15 mm ID rubber tire will not grip the wheel.  The wheel will turn inside the tire.

If the ID of the rubber tire is 14 mm, then it must modestly stretch¹ by pi/2 mm (1.57 mm) to fit over the wheel, gripping it well

That's reasonable.  

Bee

¹circumference =  pi × D.  14.5 × pi = 45.55 mm.  14 mm × pi = 43.98 mm.  Delta = 1.57 = pi/2

• Like 1

Further update and need advice as well.

I received the Traction tyre today from ebay so I thought I do full service and replace all 4 traction tyres. But I can't seem to open the tender, front screw (which hold the bracket to loco as well) I can't seem to open the screw as nut is loose on chassis, which I have tried to hold with pliers without any success. Can't use normal pliers so I used the nose pliers but still no luck. It seem some kind of glue or brass nut is seized. Any thoughts?

Hi Deem

Get the correct spanner for the nut.  Needle nose pliers will launch parts into oblivion.  Adjustable wrenches are not ideal.  A fixed spanner is much, much better.  Do this first.  Measure across the flats of the nut for the spanner size.  This means you can apply torque properly.

If the screw and nut are dissimilar materials (example: steel screw, brass nut) then galling may have occurred.  Galling essential locks the screw to the nut and may be terminal.  Sometimes, but not usually, alternately tightening and loosening the screw will break this bond.  Typically, this simply shears the screw apart, rendering both nut and screw useless.

You may have to replace both.  Not overwhelming, simply measure the major screw diameter, which tells you the screw size.  Measure the length.  Match the screw head type.  Use the same material for both parts!

Plenty of fastener houses in the UK, but not all will stock the micro sizes.  Markits catalog suggests they have a wide assortment of BA screws, in tiny sizes.

Bee

I think the nut size is 4mm or equivalent in imperial but there is not enough space to use socket either metric or imperial. Gap between the nut and the tender wall is less than 1mm, I will upload pictures in few minutes so fellow modellers can advice accordingly.

Should be able to get enough purchase with a spanner or a nut spinner.  If it really won't budge then I'd be attacking it with a cutting disc in a minidrill, and replacing with a new nut and bolt.

• Like 1