First ever fixed layout, am I mad to use set track?

Hi everyone, I'm embarking on a fixed layout on a 2.4m by 1.2m board.

I've created a layout using Scarm which I'm happy with but I've done it all using Hornby set track. 

I've then dived down the rabbit hole that says Peco points are preferable and then further along read that the best route to go is all flexi track except for the points. 

I'm fine with each approach but before I replant my layout or bite the bullet and buy a load of track I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this and which is preferable. 

Posted (edited)

Flexi track will let you have nice sweeping curves and alignments *where your space allows*, and it's also sensible for transitions into and out of tight curves - better than jolting from straight track directly into a tight model railway curve.    Sectional track curves can still be worthwhile for creating tight curves, they'll be easier than fighting with flexi track.  

I'd say your board size 2.4m x 1.2m  doesn't really warrant going for flexi-track, but if you want to buy a yard or two and experiment then no harm in that 🙂 

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 1

Definitely not. It’s your first fixed layout and you have designed it to use set track. Hornby and Peco have spent a lot of money designing moulds and machines to make the sections accurate and fit for purpose. To achieve the same with flexi track would take a lot of work, especially on the size of board you have. The main thing I would check is that you will have access to al of the board ‘cos everything that derails will do so at the furthest point just to be awkward. 

• Like 3

I am a newbie as well when comes to track and layout, as still don't have fixed layout, until then I am happy to read what other's are doing or experiencing. As for the points, I don't have Peco points and only have, ever used Hornby points, with very minimal issue or no issue at all. It's generally (in my case) related to Loco then the actual points.

• Like 1

Hello @Toddie86

Welcome Aboard.

You planned your exact layout using sectional track.  Everything fits to a T, nothing is out of alignment in SCARM.

To achieve that perfect alignment in real life, using flexitrack will be harder than it first seems.  Every curve, the outside rail is longer than the inside rail.  And both rails need cutting to perfection.

To achieve that perfect SCARM alignment in set track will be far, far easier.  Make sure everything connects properly and fix to baseboard.  Sorted.

If you want to spend less time and get better results, use what you planned: set track. 

And no mate, you aren't daft.  

Bee

• Like 1

I think it depends on how long you want to keep your layout. My first used sectional track but after about 3 or four years I wanted something more prototypical so I moved to flexible track and PECO streamline.

My current layout is 90% flexible track and PECO streamline points but I do have a colliery branch where I needed a 90 degree bend and needed to squeeze some points in with a sharper radius than Streamline so I used set-track for that although I used the PECO equivalent to Hornby.

Certainly using flexible track is more challenging but a good set of rail cutters is essential plus some small files. Also it may take a few tries to get things spot on so you may get through a few lengths of additional track until you get proficient. However, I think the look of flexible track and the closer spacing between each track looks much more realistic.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard!

Definately use the Hornby set track. Its easy to use. Just push the peices together making sure the fishplates are tight and not misalligned. That is the cause of most trackwork problems. The 3 problems with track I have encountered: Not getting the fishplates alligned properly- this results in derailments. Uneven Rail wear- this is a problem when using second hand or recycled track. I have this problem because lots of my set track peices were used on some of my previous layouts. It also is a problem on transitions between set track and flexitrack for the same reason. Broken points: they don't last forever, so beware that you may break them somewhen.

I use mostly set track on my layout, though there are occasionally bits of flexitrack where things don't quite line up or I didn't have the right set track peice to fit between two fixed set track peices. As my stations are half a straight longer than my original drawings, I have some bits of flexitrack standing in as straights to get the right length on the loops. This allowed me to get them to fit correctly because I could cut them for the job. Peco do make a larger veriety of pointwork, but it doesn't really fit into the geometry of Hornby's track, so for a newbie definately best avoided.

XYZ

• Like 3

Setrack is very good. It’s easy to work with and the geometry is pre determined so as long as you put the right piece in the right place you can’t really go wrong. It will have a greater number of joins, make sure these are correctly aligned. If you want to use Flexi track to create a sweeping you can get a Hornby version that matches their setrack. It’s not difficult to deal with but it requires a little bit more effort and some good quality track cutters. Over the years people have said about realism etc and yes the Peco streamline track is better from that perspective but some very experienced modellers have shown how with ballasting and weathering and detailing Hornby setrack can be made to look very good. There is another consideration too regarding points and if you are using DC or DCC to operate your locomotives. I won’t overcomplicate things for now though.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback! 😁

I think I might have the best of both worlds, I'm going to go with mostly set track and then a small bit of flexi track where things don't quite line up exactly. Either way trying with the flex track should also be a good bit of practice! 

If the thread stays live I'll share some update in the future. 👍🏻

• Like 2