Triang/Hornby loco surprise.

I had to move all of my railway stuff out of the two bedrooms that they were occupying today, got guests arriving. Whilst having a root through various boxes, I came across a Triang/Hornby X392 GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank. The body was loose and when I looked at the motor I came upon this gear motion, to what I presume is a smoke unit.

In all my years, I've never seem one of these. It's part of a job lot that I bought a few months ago. It won't get a look in on my layout as it's a GWR item, but, I found it quite intriguing.

What about you guys, who has any info'?

I also found this painting of a Britannia. That's going up on the wall of the train room!

20240616_182526.jpg

20240616_182506.jpg

20240616_144833.jpg

The GWR pannier tank appears to be R051, made 50 years ago.  X392 is the component assembly number for the Synchrosmoke smoke unit, for which the coverplate which directs the 'smoke' to the base of the chimney is missing.  The smoke generator was given the Synchrosmoke name as, being driven by the motor, the smoke 'puffs' were synchronised with the revolutions of the wheels, although often only a whisp of smoke came out of the chimney.

Ah yes the old Synchrosmoke unit.  I used to play with locos with these back in the 70s.   The smoke oil is no problem - use Seuthe oil.   I gather replacement heating elements are very difficult to obtain now? If you're not going to run it with smoke I'd remove the element and put it somewhere safe for the future if it still works 🙂 

The smoke element and the friction from the wheel drain power and the locos run slower as a result. I used to disconnect mine but now realise that they are quite sought after by some people and I have no idea what I did with all the cogs!

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I had a green GWR Pannier tank way back when - great little locomotive - with the synchrosmoke as well - Mother loved it!!

Al.

It has been painted blue by a previous owner, the inside of the body is the correct GWR green.

1 hour ago, Going Spare said:

Looking again at the photographs, the smoke unit body may be suffering from the dreaded mazak rot which may cause it to break apart.  

I thought that too GS. Although it only seems to be the top part. It won't be used anyway so no worries.

Model railway law says everyone must have either a Triang Pannier, Jinty or Princess. Its just the way it is.

P8310109.thumb.JPG.b2d8c4fd9e30e949b1afae288d2bd041.JPG

This was always one of my favourites as a kid. Smoke was cool and it could pull anything.

• Like 1

@bee  In fact, although centre wheel half-depth flanges or in some cases no flange at all have been necessary for some locomotives to negotiate 2nd radius curves comparatively recently (and even now for the 9F 2-10-0, fortunately prototypical), the original chassis of the GWR pannier tank/LMS Jinty tank/LMS 3F tender loco date from the Tri-ang era when what is now radius 1 (15") curves were the outer curves and 12 3/4" radius curves were widely used, radiuses 3 and 4 being much later additions to Hornby's range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

Model railway law says everyone must have either a Triang Pannier, Jinty or Princess. Its just the way it is.

My first 00 would have been a Jinty set back in the mid 60s.  As a younster I painted it in a horrid brown colour and ruined it 😞   I don't recall ever owning a Pannier.  At one time I did come into possession of an early "plunger Princess"   but it was too far gone to be salvageable 😞 
The closest I have nowadays to those early models are a couple of TT3 sets 🙂 
DSCN3725.thumb.jpg.14303cc51bf30a8a786ca0ff5a010fbe.jpg

I definitely had a Synchrosmoke Jinty in LMS red, and probably a couple of other smoke fitted models too. 

54 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

Just like this one? 😎

P8310110.thumb.JPG.560470cd5fe09bb87e1f72f988b22a01.JPG

Bizarre. That same loco is also in the job lot that I bought. That can go on the layout as it's LMS.

20240616_182620.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

P8310109.thumb.JPG.b2d8c4fd9e30e949b1afae288d2bd041.JPG

This was always one of my favourites as a kid. Smoke was cool and it could pull anything.

And a Nellie/Polly/Connie/27 etc. Usually a blue or red one. 

I still think Polly / Nellie / Other should still be the 'default Railroad industrial engine', and wouldn't take that much to upgrade further.

Needs a 'modern chassis' 'though I remember my Polly being as fast as what I know my Railways HST is capable of!!  Wheels were a blur, so gearing needs a substantial change!

Al.

I'd still take an old Nellie chassis  of "proper" construction rather than the cheapo things I've encountered in more modern "toy" 0-4-0s.    When my son's "Percy" suffered a motor failure some years ago it received a transplant using an old Romford "Bulldog"  X.04-like motor 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

gearing needs a substantial change!

Not a chance. The favourite feature of my Nellie type, 25550 was its super speed. That's what's needed to hook youngsters. I fondly remember seeing how fast I could get it to go and tip onto one side on the corner but fall back to the track rather than fly off. Lima Class 9 was also great fun as it was so light and top heavy and almost as fast. 😎

• Like 2