Smaller Power Bank

Rob23

18 minutes ago, DuTTchy said:

If i'm correct these 2 capacitors 1,0F / 2,7v in series have the same value as a 500μF / 5,2v capacitor?

That is absolutely correct, if they are the mini caps which are smaller, then they are only 0.3 uF, hard to tell from the photo. So if they are mini caps then only 0.15 uF. We will have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, ColinB said:

That is absolutely correct, if they are the mini caps which are smaller, then they are only 0.3 uF, hard to tell from the photo. So if they are mini caps then only 0.15 uF. We will have to wait and see.

At least you will be able to charge them to at least 1000V.

More techno babble, techno twaddle! Lock the thread and "sanitise".

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Daedalus said:

At least you will be able to charge them to at least 1000V.

More techno babble, techno twaddle! Lock the thread and "sanitise".

I know I have thought that for a while. It is hard to say anything about this without seeing it. There are a few questions that I might want answered. We are told that it is using Voltage doubling device, but if you compare it with Train O Matic that use a similar technique, they only use one capacitor. If they do use a doubling technique I do wonder if the device will be more expensive when it eventually arrives as it requires significantly more components.

Edited by ColinB

8 hours ago, Ian-1301567 said:

Another question relating to DCC controller the elite controller has 2 controls so could I wire up 2 x 4 carriageway tracks as long as they have seperate areas.

That is not how DCC works. Locomotives are controlled by their individual, unique (to your layout) digital addresses - this is the address that defaults to 3. You only need multiple track feed wires to ensure a good power supply to each length of track and to stop points/turnouts isolating certain lengths. At its simplest, a DCC layout has all track lengths powered all the time. That is why it is simpler to deal with than a DC/analogue layout.

The Elite controls are a convenience so that you can switch quickly between 2 locomotives. You are not limited to having just 2 locomotives active, but to switch to a third locomotive you will have to enter its address. Not difficult but it takes a second or two longer.

Edited by dBerriff

9 hours ago, ColinB said:

As I showed in the image they are 1.0F 2.7v, not 0.3F.
2 x 2.7v = 5.4v which is then stepped up to 8-9v, but the booster chip needs 1.8v to stay alive itself. Regardless of that the thing seems to work well.

This thread has gone off topic in several directions. If you want to digress raise another topic in the correct section of the forum. Although we can split out the threads I don't see why I should when it can be done at source. It is much easier to delete such posts, which has been done.

46 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

As I showed in the image they are 1.0F 2.7v, not 0.3F.
2 x 2.7v = 5.4v which is then stepped up to 8-9v, but the booster chip needs 1.8v to stay alive itself. Regardless of that the thing seems to work well.

I only said if they used the smaller one it was 0.3F. I know about the booster when someone suggested a voltage doubler, I looked up the family of ICs that would do it. Train O Matic use a similar system but they only use one capacitor and a bigger multiplier. Trouble is the 1F part is much fatter. 

Ok another odd one, can they or any power bank for that matter be used in parallel,, just thinking for use in larger models so for instance you could fit one at each end instead of trying to fit one larger unit.

12 hours ago, Peachy said:

Just waiting to hear back from the powers that be…. I have to wait my turn behind the bigger (00) YouTubers 😏

Given there was only a very sample for testing it is likely you may have to wait until stock comes in, unless the one doing the rounds is freed up.

12 hours ago, Peachy said:

Just waiting to hear back from the powers that be…. I have to wait my turn behind the bigger (00) YouTubers 😏

Jenny is part of the beta test team that’s why she got one

20 hours ago, Dukedog. said:

Ok another odd one, can they or any power bank for that matter be used in parallel,, just thinking for use in larger models so for instance you could fit one at each end instead of trying to fit one larger unit.

In theory yes, although I am not sure practically whether you would get some odd side effects.