Replacement screws for locos

I thought it might be worth mentioning here a solution given to me on the DCC forum, for when I lost a screw holding the body to the chassis of a loco while fitting a decoder.

It was suggested to get a box of mixed laptop screws from Ebay. I did so and the first screw I selected out of the box fitted like a glove. A definite addition to my bibs and bobs in the train room.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Aussie Fred said:

I thought it might be worth mentioning here a solution given to me on the DCC forum, for when I lost a screw holding the body to the chassis of a loco while fitting a decoder.

It was suggested to get a box of mixed laptop screws from Ebay. I did so and the first screw I selected out of the box fitted like a glove. A definite addition to my bibs and bobs in the train room.

Along with Model Railway, my second hobby is to repair Laptops, so I have tons of screws which came from those laptop which I break down to use for parts. I would say I have not come across any which are suitable for Loco, but it could be I repair mostly Apple laptops and they hardly use or not at all any self tapping screws or others, which, I may have not seen as yet.

I bought a set of small metric taps and dies (1mm to 2.5mm) for a particular project off eBay but now I am surprised how much I use them. You can check a particular screw for size using the dies and tap holes to hold things together. I doubt they would stand up to much use with metal as my very old and heavily used BA sizes do but for plastic they are perfect, just drill a pilot hole of the correct diameter and use the tap, hey presto a perfect fit. VERY useful for obtaining the sizes of small screws which are very cheap off eBay in various sizes.

One of those multiple packs would be great, I might see what is available in the UK or just pull an old computer to bits!

9 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

BA taps and dies are available to sizes likely smaller than required for your old locos Rana.   

The Romford / Markits parts use BA threads, so I have been investigating their purchase.  

Bee

A colleague at work gave me my box of BA taps and dies years ago. I think they go down to 12BA. There are also a few obscure imperial taps in there which I have no idea what they are for. I did have to replace the 8BA as I snapped it in an old cast chassis and it was easily the most used. 

During COVID I once drilled and tapped a chassis by hand during a frustratingly long Zoom meeting. It helped me to focus so was a benefit to me and my employer. We use Teams now which is a lot more interactive. 

The most useful tool for the Markits/Romford wheels is the special screwdriver for the wheel nuts and crank pins. They are self quartering so a great bonus!

If I remember correctly triang crank pins used 10 BA. I remember this as I was able to re-use the hornby screw when I re-wheeled and old Hornby Hall to make Grange a long time ago. The other slightly larger brass screws for holding pick-up plates in place are 8 BA as well as some body fixuing screws.

However, I noticed that the China made B12s and Dean singles seem to use different threads despite the chassis origins.

Most modern Hornby locos use a range of metric screws. If they are not self tappers they tend to be m2 or m2.5, I have never measured the crank pin threads as those are special anyway. I get most of mine from China via EBay or a firm in the UK https://www.laptopscrewsdirect.com/. You can get stainless steel stepped ones for drawbars from China via EBay. The other way is to buy a drawbar that comes with stepped bolts.

14 hours ago, ColinB said:

Most modern Hornby locos use a range of metric screws. If they are not self tappers they tend to be m2 or m2.5, I have never measured the crank pin threads as those are special anyway. I get most of mine from China via EBay or a firm in the UK https://www.laptopscrewsdirect.com/. You can get stainless steel stepped ones for drawbars from China via EBay. The other way is to buy a drawbar that comes with stepped bolts.

Would it be possible if you can share eBay item numbers or link?

2 hours ago, Deem said:

Would it be possible if you can share eBay item numbers or link?

I generally do a search for M2 screws on EBay. They are Chinese suppliers so the items are always changing. Laptop screws, the link I gave you, do the better quality ones and they are here in the UK. As for the stepped ones, do a search for M2 shouldered screws.

5 hours ago, ColinB said:

I generally do a search for M2 screws on EBay. They are Chinese suppliers so the items are always changing. Laptop screws, the link I gave you, do the better quality ones and they are here in the UK. As for the stepped ones, do a search for M2 shouldered screws.

Thanks ColinB I have found the shouldered screw especially with allen key so they are easy install on Loco.

35 minutes ago, Deem said:

Thanks ColinB I have found the shouldered screw especially with allen key so they are easy install on Loco.

The other source is the W1 drawbar, it comes with two stepped screws.