Steam generator 'oil'

Ian-1301567

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are certain points as to knowing for eg. Question 1 - How do you know when to change the Steam Generator Oil I know it sounds trivial but I'm new to this Steam Generator sscenario and was wondering if the DCC Controller actually tells you when its about to run out. 

Question 2 - Can you buy a big bottle of this Generator Oil and re-fill the capsule that's in the Steam Generator or do you have to replace it with a new capsule?.

Question 3 - On the new Hornby Steam Generator class Loco's can you use the German Oil called Sluthe or do you have to use Hornby's own?.

• 96RAF changed the title to Steam generator 'oil'

It is presumed that you are asking about the new Hornby atomising steam unit and not the ancient Sleuth smoke generator.

1. There is no oil - it uses water. When it runs out the steam stops.

2. The water is the same sort you use in irons and other such appliances. You top up the 'capsule' with a measured amount and the capsule is not user replaceable.

3. See above.

5 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

It is presumed that you are asking about the new Hornby atomising steam unit and not the ancient Sleuth smoke generator.

1. There is no oil - it uses water. When it runs out the steam stops.

2. The water is the same sort you use in irons and other such appliances. You top up the 'capsule' with a measured amount and the capsule is not user replaceable.

3. See above.

So you just use ordinary tap water to fill up these capsules.

5 hours ago, Ian-1301567 said:

So you just use ordinary tap water to fill up these capsules.

No - just ready the instructions that come with the unit.

Note that your supplementary question about DCC controllers has been split out from this thread, retitled and can be found in the DCC section. Associated answers  are also moved across. See here ...

I remember the old synchrosmoke, which had the heating elements and cog-driven piston.

As a teenage schoolkid, I didn't have the funds to purchase more 'smoke oil', so instead started using neat paraffin - mother was really amused - NOT!!

I did notice it attacking the bodies, so painted inside of my Pannier and Winston Churchill !!

Great fun - if you could see and breathe!!

Al.