Flying Scotsman steam.

Just taken my scotsman out of the box ,first thing I wheel from the front bogie lying loose in the plastic sleeve,replaced it put loco on the rolling road connected to the app so far so good ,but after switching on sound and trying to run it it made all the sounds but no movement at all . Now on its way back to hornby what a disappointment 

John

Did you attempt the process described in the HM 7000/DCC section if you have sound but no movement. It’s usually a connection glitch that can easily be solved by un-assign, unlink, delete loco from engine shed on app, close app controlling device down and reboot it, shut down power supply to track. Restart everything and download the profile again as described in manual. If still no movement, repeat with an alternative profile and if that resolves it reload the correct profile. 👍

It is probably that tender drawbar connector, even if it isn't, that is what everyone is going to blame. I am surprised though I ran mine around my layout for about 30 minutes to clear out the water, without any issues. I am sorry to hear that though, I have never had one of those bogies drop off, so very unusual.

18 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Did you attempt the process described in the HM 7000/DCC section if you have sound but no movement. It’s usually a connection glitch that can easily be solved by un-assign, unlink, delete loco from engine shed on app, close app controlling device down and reboot it, shut down power supply to track. Restart everything and download the profile again as described in manual. If still no movement, repeat with an alternative profile and if that resolves it reload the correct profile. 👍

It is an electrical issue, I doubt that he has even loaded a profile, it comes with it already loaded and set to DCC. So unless the motor driver on the decoder has blown it is probably the connections to the loco.

11 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

John said he had connection to the app,  sounds but no movement. Isn’t the decoder in the tender on these? If it is, unlikely it’s a drawbar contact issue. 

Two of those connectors on the drawbar are to the motor if they are not making contact properly then the motor won't work. He does not say whether he got the smoke to work, that definitely requires the drawbar connections. As the loco has tender pickups you can get sound even with the loco disconnected from the tender, it used to be an issue even with the 4 way connector if it wasn't pushed fully home. If you watch the Black 5 issues with the drawbar videos, they are the classic symptoms.  As much as I would like to blame the HM7000, generally they are pretty reliable.

Thanks all but to clarify the matter I did all as described by rallymatt  but made no difference I telephoned hornby and they said it sounds like a connector issue apparently it's quite common so it's a return to hornby I didn't try to get the smoke to work 

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

John said he had connection to the app,  sounds but no movement. Isn’t the decoder in the tender on these? If it is, unlikely it’s a drawbar contact issue. 

It is, but the motor is in the loco.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sir john said:

Thanks all but to clarify the matter I did all as described by rallymatt  but made no difference I telephoned hornby and they said it sounds like a connector issue apparently it's quite common so it's a return to hornby I didn't try to get the smoke to work 

John

That is a very worrying admission that it is quite common.

41 minutes ago, ColinB said:

That is a very worrying admission that it is quite common.

Just increasing my concern about my soon (maybe) to arrive model and sending it back from here won't be fun. Will Hornby pay postage both way from Australia, I wonder?

Can we get some imagery of the two connectors that make up the pair?  

In situ, in the connected position.

Disconnected, so the mating electrical connections can be observed.

Does this connector pair also serve as the draw bar?  That is, is force applied by running the locomotive with a consist, trying to pull the connector open? If yes, is there any mechanical detent to protect the electrical connection from being broken?

There are a bunch of really sharp lads about.  Its worth an examination.  Might be a simple fix.

Bee

My new baby has arrived, She was well packed for her round world tour and certainly looks the part. I will not be putting her on the track until I give it a good clean as it hasn't been used much in the past month. Here's hoping.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

Can we get some imagery of the two connectors that make up the pair?  

In situ, in the connected position.

Disconnected, so the mating electrical connections can be observed.

Does this connector pair also serve as the draw bar?  That is, is force applied by running the locomotive with a consist, trying to pull the connector open? If yes, is there any mechanical detent to protect the electrical connection from being broken?

There are a bunch of really sharp lads about.  Its worth an examination.  Might be a simple fix.

Bee

If it's like the new Black 5, yes, the detent on the drawbar is best described as looking like two pieces of a Jigsaw puzzle, a male and female part that join together, if you follow me. So in theory, they shouldn't pull apart.

Having said that, these new couplings do seem to be a bit hit and miss.

It is interesting I have a few locos with this drawbar and so far there have been no issues. When I first heard about this I checked my Dapol Manor and this has roughly the same arrangement but I have not heard about anyone having issues with it. So it makes you wonder what Hornby have done wrong. We know on the newer locos they use more tracks ones on the top and bottom, whereas I think on all my earlier Hornby locos they only used the ones on one side, similarly with the Dapol. 

Colin I have 6 dapol manors and a mogul all have this arrangement I have had no problems with them also bachmann use it on their v2 models of which I have 3 although they have a clip holding it together. When I spoke to the chap at hornby he seemed to know what the problem was,Hopefully it will be back with me soon 

2 hours ago, sir john said:

Colin I have 6 dapol manors and a mogul all have this arrangement I have had no problems with them also bachmann use it on their v2 models of which I have 3 although they have a clip holding it together. When I spoke to the chap at hornby he seemed to know what the problem was,Hopefully it will be back with me soon 

John I am glad you said that, when I first heard about the issues with the Black 5 "I thought how do Dapol do it" and was surprised it is very similar. Obviously not an issue for them, but them I have about 6 Hornby locos with it and so far no issues. So I wonder what the problem is?

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

John I am glad you said that, when I first heard about the issues with the Black 5 "I thought how do Dapol do it" and was surprised it is very similar. Obviously not an issue for them, but them I have about 6 Hornby locos with it and so far no issues. So I wonder what the problem is?

Likely tolerances. I would have used the magnetic multi-pole pogo connectors

Posted (edited)

Well, I put my Scotsman on the test track and sound good, movement forward and back good, bearing in mind it only had about 20 inches each way. Of course not able to check steam, as I want to be able to run it in first before I put the steam on. I will now pack her away and if my fingers thaw out enough when I go out to the train room, I will start the long arduous job of a full clean of the track. On that, over the last few years I have listened to all the different views and ideas for cleaning track, threw half the stuff I have like "rubbers" and the like and will try smooth block of wood to smooth the track surface, then run my sharge cleaner behind the Deltic Meld for a while and then a very thin coat of Inox MX3, a quality Australian product.

Edited by Aussie Fred
Spelling error

I have found a small block of balsa wood is ideal for track cleaning, hardly need to clean track at all these days, once every 6 months or so. Inox MX3 has interesting properties (made from Sheep oil 😁) but I have traction tyres on some models and the two don’t mix well.