Firebox flicker

The firebox flickering LED on the new Flying Scotsman seems to be wired directly to the track power rather than through the decoder, so not really adjustable short of dismantling the loco and fitting a bigger resistor or masking the LED. Personally I think it looks rather good!

Regards, John

Alternatively, add a tiny swatch of translucent film, as a filter, right in the firebox door opening.  

Think of it as sunglasses for your locomotive.  

Cut to the right size, test for brightness, adding another layer or changing opacity to suit.

Affix with a dab or two of superglue

Bee

The firebox flicker is wired directly across the track inputs, well it is on the ones I have. You could put a resistor in one of the leads feeding it to turn the brightness down, possibly 200 ohms but I have to admit that is a guess as there will already be one in the circuit.

1 hour ago, Loewietje said:

How difficult would it be to wire these to the decoder if run on DCC?

If you have the Vref/Vcc from the decoder at the loco side as in the case with locos with the modern drawbar connector and then a function output from the same decoder. Disconnect the two wires from the firebox flicker that go to the track and connect them to Vref/Vcc and your function output. It doesn't matter which way you wire it as it has a bridge rectifier/diodes inside to give the leds the correct polarity. It is a shame function decoders are more expensive than normal decoders as that is the neat way to do it.

• Thanks 1