Older DCC ready Loco to convert Newer DCC ready with DCC in tender

Posted (edited)

I have bought Hornby R2448 weathered Loco, which is a beauty, but some one in the past have installed bigger self tapping screw in the tender to hold the rear coupling. I will have to change the tender chassis, I thought why I not I change to later model with DCC in tender, so I look up on Lendon of Cardiff website, gathered these parts, I am correct in doing this or I am making a mistake?

Screenshot2024-07-01at20-46-03LendonsOfCardiff-.thumb.png.deae07da4727fe8cf57035a3c0aae4e9.pngpick-

There are 2 pick - ups in the shopping basket, I am getting one spare just in case I mess up with shaky hands.

Edited by Deem

Thoughts: Tender chassis frame X7532 would avoid the need to repaint only weathering (in stock on Hornby's master list); the old tender weight will not suit and the new one is not available (to take the DCC socket and speaker); will the original body and wheelsets fit the new chassis frame?; a new drawbar will need to be fabricated.

I have plans to do something similar with an R2565 Britannia and an R2609 West Country, which are dcc ready but  have the socket in the loco.

May I ask where you get the spares from as I have found it difficult to find a nice Hornby spares site like Bachmann has ?

I intended to adapt what was there, but I know the Brittania at least had a socket in the tender on a later release.

Well I found the service sheets and most part numbers (except for the Brits DCC socket, which is no matter as I intend to make it 21 pin not 8). Peter Spares had all in stock (it said) so hopefully this will make life a lot easier to convert, remove loco body (ok that bit I am not looking forward too ! ) solder pickup and motor wires to plug, assemble the tender chassis and swap the tender tops, wheels and contact plates over 😊

All the parts I have listed are from Lendon of Cardiff, which I find it to be cheaper compare to other's.

Would it be too much to ask to list part numbers so if any one else would like to have a go for your particular model they have good base to start from.

Regards

Posted (edited)

Yes I have done all three of these locos. The big issue for me was getting the weight for going in the tender. You may want to look at X7585 which is a complete tender base for a Duchess including wheels, 4 way socket and DCC socket, available from Lendons or New Modellers. As to the parts you mention they will all work, try and go with the ones that include pickups.T he only issue is the axle boxes are yellow, so you either paint them black or buy another tender base and swap the parts over. X7585 is the best value as you get wheels tender bottom plus all the rest for less than the cost of 3 of the individual parts you need, plus the all important weight. You will also need an X6113 loco to tender lead. For the Britannia you used to be able to buy a complete tender bottom like X7585 but at the moment I can't find it. The West Country is a bit more difficult as they changed the design of the tender mounting points. So what you do is buy a new tender bottom  X9027 and use this as a pattern to cut a rectangular in the tender bottom for the socket. You can probably use the old weight in this case.

I forgot the drawbar, I just use the old one strip off the bits of copper and it will work. You might need to buy a drawbar that includes the stepped screws, just for the stepped screws.

Why don't Hornby have a decent spares system? Better not go there.

Hope it helps.

Edited by ColinB
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Going Spare said:

Thoughts: Tender chassis frame X7532 would avoid the need to repaint only weathering (in stock on Hornby's master list); the old tender weight will not suit and the new one is not available (to take the DCC socket and speaker); will the original body and wheelsets fit the new chassis frame?; a new drawbar will need to be fabricated.

Thanks @Going Spare I forgot to add draw bar to my part list. I will do that straight away. Regards

2 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Yes I have done all three of these locos. The big issue for me was getting the weight for going in the tender. You may want to look at X7585 which is a complete tender base for a Duchess including wheels, 4 way socket and DCC socket, available from Lendons or New Modellers. As to the parts you mention they will all work, try and go with the ones that include pickups.T he only issue is the axle boxes are yellow, so you either paint them black or buy another tender base and swap the parts over. X7585 is the best value as you get wheels tender bottom plus all the rest for less than the cost of 3 of the individual parts you need, plus the all important weight. You will also need an X6113 loco to tender lead. For the Britannia you used to be able to buy a complete tender bottom like X7585 but at the moment I can't find it. The West Country is a bit more difficult as they changed the design of the tender mounting points. So what you do is buy a new tender bottom  X9027 and use this as a pattern to cut a rectangular in the tender bottom for the socket. You can probably use the old weight in this case.

Hope it helps.

Many Thanks @ColinB for saving me few pounds, only question remained to be answered, will this tender will take the body shell from my existing tender? Also I still need X6113 so I can run that wire from Loco to tender socket?

Do you know I have quite often bought X7585 just for the weight, why Hornby don't do it as a spare defeats me. I would quite happily pay £10 for it rather that milling my old one to fit. I also have about 6 duchess tender bases left over where I have just taken the weight out.

1 minute ago, Deem said:

Many Thanks @ColinB for saving me few pounds, only question remained to be answered, will this tender will take the body shell from my existing tender? Also I still need X6113 so I can run that wire from Loco to tender socket?

Yes it does. Hornby have another part number for X6113 listed on Lendons, it is the same part, why they changed it who knows. The other issue you might find is Hornby on the Duchess wired up the socket the wrong way round, the 4 pin socket is on the PCB the wrong way round compared to all their other models. So rather than than wire the PCB to take this into account, they wired as per all their other models so if you swap tenders with say an A1, you get an immediate short. So I usually swap the wires around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Do you know I have quite often bought X7585 just for the weight, why Hornby don't do it as a spare defeats me. I would quite happily pay £10 for it rather that milling my old one to fit. I also have about 6 duchess tender bases left over where I have just taken the weight out.

Everyone does something which makes no logical reason to others, so I would say it's Hornby Loss and your gain. Only issue is where and how to store old chassis, they may come handy one day, who knows.

7 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Yes it does. Hornby have another part number for X6113 listed on Lendons, it is the same part, why they changed it who knows. The other issue you might find is Hornby on the Duchess wired up the socket the wrong way round, the 4 pin socket is on the PCB the wrong way round compared to all their other models. So rather than than wire the PCB to take this into account, they wired as per all their other models so if you swap tenders with say an A1, you get an immediate short. So I usually swap the wires around.

Lendon of Cardiff have 2 parts as X6113 which have 4 wires with 4 pin plug. Which looks like this

image.thumb.png.d27c2c8297e01b910fdc40e8f340214a.png

Other part is X6113a which is single wire with metal clip I don't where that fit though. Below part picture of X6113a

image.thumb.png.c654a224e315d5599eafc58d2af05c35.png

Posted (edited)

@DeemI will happily put the part numbers for the locos, I was just wary I may have taken over your thread !

Thanks will also check Lendon next time too 🙂

What I have ordered is:

Britannia:

Hornby X9601M Britannia 7MT Tender Underframe Assembly With Contacts

Hornby X6882 Britannia 7MT Class Drawbar (Sound Version)

West Country:

Hornby X6540 Battle Of Britain / West Country Sound Drawbar

Hornby X7375 Rebuilt Battle Of Britain Class Tender Chassis Frame

Hornby X7880 West Country Main PCB 21 Pin Socket And Blanking Plug

Generic:

Hornby X6113 Loco-Tender Plug Connector & Wire x2

Hornby X9958 Tender Connector 4-pin Socket PCB x2

Peters Spares PS167 8 Ohm 0.8W Hornby Tender Round Enclosed Speaker 27mm x2

Edited by Too Tall
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deem said:

Lendon of Cardiff have 2 parts as X6113 which have 4 wires with 4 pin plug. Which looks like this

image.thumb.png.d27c2c8297e01b910fdc40e8f340214a.png

Other part is X6113a which is single wire with metal clip I don't where that fit though. Below part picture of X6113a

image.thumb.png.c654a224e315d5599eafc58d2af05c35.png

No, it was a different number X50025.

Just now, Too Tall said:

@DeemI will happily put the part numbers for the locos, I was just wary I may have taken over your thread !

What I have ordered is:

Britannia:

West Country:

Generic:

Hornby X6113 Loco-Tender Plug Connector & Wire

I think you might have an issue with your old tender fitting the new tender base, they moved the mounting points. Mind you there are about 3 types of tenders, so I could be wrong. Have a look at Road and Rails, they do decent flat 8 ohm speakers that sound and fit better.

Posted (edited)

R&R only had 4 ohm in stock last time I looked, I was thinking the PS one looked the same (but is 8 ohm) so possibly was ? !

Was that the Brit or West tender you are referring too ?

Oops, I assumed it was the same but I am sure I'll find a way to mount it if not, making body posts is something I have experience with in my previous slot car hobby.

Edited by Too Tall

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

What I have ordered is:

Britannia:

West Country:

Generic:

Hornby X6113 Loco-Tender Plug Connector & Wire

Thanks @Too Tall

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

R&R only had 4 ohm in stock last time I looked, I was thinking the PS one looked the same (but is 8 ohm) so possibly was ? !

Was that the Brit or West tender you are referring too ?

Oops, I assumed it was the same but I am sure I'll find a way to mount it if not, making body posts is something I have experience with in my previous slot car hobby.

I use roughly the same speaker in all my locos unless it is the latest Hornby where they provide the sound box in the tender. I tend to go down the list of 8 ohm speakers on Road and Rails and select the one that will fit. I use currently his iphone speakers, the square ones and the super flat ones. West Country tenders are are nightmare, I think there are 3 types, some with one screw, some with two screws and then there is the longer one that got fitted to Merchant Navy ones. I think on the one where I wanted it to fit a later tender (I had the tender top but no tender bottom) I used flat pieces of thick plastercard glued together glued to where the tender mounting points should be, so there was more strength.

Would, one be using 8ohms speaker with TTS decoder? I could be wrong but if I remember correctly TTS decoder can only be used with 4 ohms? Or one is using new TSX decoder.

1 hour ago, Deem said:

Would, one be using 8ohms speaker with TTS decoder? I could be wrong but if I remember correctly TTS decoder can only be used with 4 ohms? Or one is using new TSX decoder.

8 ohm only as I will be using HM7K decoders, 4 ohms is a no go, not sure about TTS but I imagine the same ?

27 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

TTS is also 8 Ohm. Never go for 4 Ohm. Unless specifically stated in a spec.

4 ohms is only good for Zimo and LokSound decoders, even then I think there are exceptions where you have to use 8 Ohms.