Too Much TT:120 Stuff Being Released!!!

1 hour ago, Postman On The Rails said:

I used Peco twistlock motors which are great but can be a bit of a faff to fit under the board

They're supposed to be easier than the old PL-10 point motors, the Twistlocks come with a drilling template and everything 🙂 
I bought one to see what they're like, easy enough but to be honest I've been fitting PL-10s under baseboards since the 70s so I'm used to them (and they're cheaper).  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Postman On The Rails said:

Always double points when I don’t need anything 😝 

Always double points just after I have bought something!!!  4 21T wagons ordered earlier in the week and arrived yesterday. arrgh!!!!

I went all in on the Peco TwistLoc point motors and they are easy to fit and unfit, which is very useful when ballasting etc so they don’t get contaminated with glue or ballast and if they fire the wrong way, unclip, turn through 180 degrees and clip in. You can run the Hornby points off them too, with a little run through with a drill bit. I think there is a guy doing a more robust fitting jig for them to make it all easier than the paper template, although that’s not hard. Only comment I would make is they make more noise than a real point motor, proper clunk but you know it’s fired! The hole for the actuator is smaller than on the PL-10, needing only a well drilled 8mm hole, slightly bigger for Hornby points. 
I do really like my DCC Concepts ADSX units for controlling all the point motors, signals, frog polarity switching and each port has a CDU. Individual re-writable port addressing is very useful. Currently, App users can’t access non Hornby accessory decoders though even via dongle although that should come… who knows when but sooner would be good for the flexibility of the App. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I went all in on the Peco TwistLoc point motors and they are easy to fit and unfit, which is very useful when ballasting etc so they don’t get contaminated with glue or ballast and if they fire the wrong way, unclip, turn through 180 degrees and clip in. You can run the Hornby points off them too, with a little run through with a drill bit. I think there is a guy doing a more robust fitting jig for them to make it all easier than the paper template, although that’s not hard. Only comment I would make is they make more noise than a real point motor, proper clunk but you know it’s fired! The hole for the actuator is smaller than on the PL-10, needing only a well drilled 8mm hole, slightly bigger for Hornby points. 
I do really like my DCC Concepts ADSX units for controlling all the point motors, signals, frog polarity switching and each port has a CDU. Individual re-writable port addressing is very useful. Currently, App users can’t access non Hornby accessory decoders though even via dongle although that should come… who knows when but sooner would be good for the flexibility of the App. 

I was told 2025 for the App to have these features.

• Like 1

@ukpetey

I'm planning on popping up to DCC concepts with a set of the New Berko TT120 aspect signals (exclusive to Malc’s Models) and a HM6010 unit to see if we can link them all up with their Cobalt point motors. 
Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel as it might be a little while before I get around to it. Currently double busy as everyone wants a slice of Peach at the moment 😬

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ukpetey said:

Nothing on the HM6010 part of hornby’s website says that it will work with HM7000.

Maybe not but the documentation page for HM | DCC includes HM6010 in the instructions. Section 18 Page 35.HM.DCC_-_Text-Based_Tutorials_V2.3_22-2-

Product page amendment requested to include both apps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

They're supposed to be easier than the old PL-10 point motors, the Twistlocks come with a drilling template and everything 🙂 
I bought one to see what they're like, easy enough but to be honest I've been fitting PL-10s under baseboards since the 70s so I'm used to them (and they're cheaper).  

Just to clarify, I could mount a Twistlock under my board, and it would control Hornby points ok via a HM6010? (Sorry if it’s a dumb question!)

10 hours ago, ukpetey said:

Sorry if it’s a dumb question!)

The only dumb question is the one you didn’t ask. The forum is here for all levels of interest, skill and ability. Ask away. R-

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

In slightly longer @ukpetey

The Peco Twistloc motor has a slightly larger actuator rod diameter, so you will need to open the hole up on the Hornby point a little, very easy with correct sized drill bit. The drilling template included with a Twistloc is for use with Peco points but it’s easy to work out how to use it for any brand point including Hornby ones. I think someone has made a 3D printed one specifically for use with Hornby points and is on sale on eBay. 
HM 6010 has 3 channels for point control and a 4th low powered output. Depending how you power the HM 6010, from track power or a stand alone PSU will depend if it uses the HM 7000 App (DCC) or HM 6000 App (DC). 
@Dodge1965 has some YouTube videos of testing the set up, and you can switch two linked points with a single channel on the HM 6010

Also do a forum search. It would also be better to have a specific thread on points and control etc rather than tag on this one. That gets better responses and helps the search facility in future

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

In short, yes

Thank you. I will order some 🙂

12 minutes ago, RB51 said:

The only dumb question is the one you didn’t ask. The forum is here for all levels of interest, skill and ability. Ask away. R-

Thanks, that’s appreciated. I’m aware of how irritating constant questions can be and people who need spoon feeding can be a pain! I generally do a search first! Hopefully in time I will acquire enough knowledge to impart to newbies in future. I also might consider putting together a Q&A of all the stuff I wasn’t sure of in respect of HM7000 and my learnings 

• Like 1

Thanks @Rallymatt and firstly, understood about making a new thread and the reasons therein. I had considered that but didn’t want to become known as the new thread guy! I will keep that in mind going forward 

Thanks for your answers and link to @Dodge1965 you tube videos. I have now ordered a jig from eBay and will have a good look at the videos. Everything seems to be coming together for me now, and I am grateful for all the advice received, and the warm welcome.  

On 04/07/2024 at 23:38, Rallymatt said:

It’s surprising how many people ‘in the industry’ and experts failed to see the success of TT:120. I wonder just how much money some of the experts  have done themselves out of, oh well as we say up North, ‘you can’t educate pork’ 

I found a similar phenomenon in video gaming, with 'experts' deriding certain games before they come out, claiming that there will be X issues and telling people not to 'waste their time' with the product. When the product, the game in this case, actually became popular those same people, trying to maintain their 'legitimacy' as 'experts' continued to make the same claims despite all evidence to the contrary.

It is the same here, with those store 'experts' getting it wrong, likely because they did not want to stock yet another product line, and I'd bet that those same stores are still telling people that the scale is going to die and be abandoned and not to buy it, likely while trying to steer them to some other, in store overpriced item as an 'alternative'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ukpetey said:

Thanks @Rallymatt and firstly, understood about making a new thread and the reasons therein. I had considered that but didn’t want to become known as the new thread guy! I will keep that in mind going forward 

Thanks for your answers and link to @Dodge1965 you tube videos. I have now ordered a jig from eBay and will have a good look at the videos. Everything seems to be coming together for me now, and I am grateful for all the advice received, and the warm welcome.  

Also @GMD did a quick YouTube on this not so long ago

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Peachy said:

@ukpetey

I'm planning on popping up to DCC concepts with a set of the New Berko TT120 aspect signals (exclusive to Malc’s Models) and a HM6010 unit to see if we can link them all up with their Cobalt point motors. 
Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel as it might be a little while before I get around to it. Currently double busy as everyone wants a slice of Peach at the moment 😬

... "everyone wants a slice of peach at the moment"...            A tin of Peachy slices!!!  in syrup or juice??? 🙂 

• Haha 1

On 06/07/2024 at 14:36, Stephen-1260829 said:

... "everyone wants a slice of peach at the moment"...            A tin of Peachy slices!!!  in syrup or juice??? 🙂 

euwww😝

• Like 1