State of Outstanding Pre-orders for TT:120

I’ve noticed the era 5 Stanier 57 coaches have now also lost the ‘summer 2024’ label so if they don’t release by close today it should be sometime tomorrow.

I’ve made a list of pre-orders that are outstanding and what date according to the crystal ball of the meta gods gives us. Please note that the dates should only be used a guidance as they can and do change between now and release. I’m putting the month rather than the actual date due to this,

Train Sets

• Intercity 125  DC & DCC – Late October 2024

Locomotives

• Princess Coronation Class DCC Era 4 – Late  August 2024
  • Princess Coronation Class DCC Era 5 – Mid August 2024
  • Class 66 All Liveries DC & DCC Era11 – Late October 2024
  • J50 Class 0-6-0T Era 3, 4 & 5 – Late November 2024
  • BR Class 08 0-6-0 Era 5 – Late November 2024
  • Class 50 GBRf DC Era 11 – Late May 2025

Wagons & Coaches

• 12T Tank Wagons (BP & Benzol) – Mid September 2024
  • TOUAX Container Wagon 45’ All Liveries – Late October 2024
  • Pullman 1st Class – Late November 2024
  • BR Mk2E Coaches era 7&8 – Late May 2025
  • 21T Mineral Wagons – Late May 2025

Track Side

• Level Crossing – Late September 2024
  • Signals – Late October 2024

That’s about it for now, the list is much shorter now than April, hopefully Hornby will be making some announcements to fill it up again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've no more preorders for now, only a stock alert for the "Glenhafod" 21T private owner wagon. 

However I'm not ruling out preordering a BR late crest J50, but eagerly awaiting announcements for the class 37, 47, J94, Black 5 and LNER Gresley carriages

Edited by gc4946

36 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Think we’ll be due an announcement in November around the time some of those get released. Hopefully more info about the Class 37 and other planned releases! 

Yeah, I think your intuition is spot on. It's also consistent with what Martyn said about having a TT event later this year. Class 37 preorders opening in October/November makes perfect sense. That gives plenty of time for Hornby to build up preorders. They should also have some nice samples to display by that point. That's something Martyn has really been emphasizing. He has a goal of having something real to show individuals who are preordering. I think people would respond well to finding out the liveries that have been selected and final pricing. That alone would make for a great Autumn announcement! 

I'm also pretty confident that we'll see a steam project announced that should arrive in early/mid 2025. The Peppercorn A1 or 9F seem likely. A Black 5 would also be welcome. There's also that second 0-6-0T that was in development alongside the J50 that could arrive. But I'm thinking two or three new tooling projects go on preorder at the Autumn announcement (with one of those being the Class 37).

That, or we get a new livery for the A4! 🤔😉🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

That, or we get a new livery for the A4! 🤔😉🤣

It would be nice if future A4s were brought up to the Princess Coronation spec, this along with the class 50s should be the bar that all future models are compared against. 

• Like 5

I’ve just cancelled all but one of my pre-orders (J50 and 2 container wagons). I’ve kept my Class 66 as that’s a relative  bargain and I have a decoder waiting for it but I have no prospect of starting a layout anytime soon so it’s really just throwing money away. 

• Sad 1

I've been looking through the May catalogue and I can't see Hornby varying too much from what was already published in the future releases. I think the stuff already in the highlighted boxes will still take priority. 

Steam

• 9F 2-10-0 Era 4&5. (not sure why there's 2 era 5s listed)
  • Castle Class Era 3, 4 & 5. (Get the era 3 GWR folk something!)

Deisel

• Class 31 Era 6, 7 & 9 (era subject to change)
  • Class 37 (era TBD though I was told there would be a green and blue variant)

Coaches

• LNER & BR Gresley era 3&4
  • GWR & BR Collett era 3&4
  • BR Mk1 Parcels Coach era 4
  • BR Mk1 2nd Class era 4

Even as an LMS fan and would love to see a Black 5 I would like to think they would release 2 GWR locos (castle class & 5700 class) before the 9F just to accommodate the GWR crowd. The Class 47 would also be popular but again it is just footnote text.

32 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

I've been looking through the May catalogue and I can't see Hornby varying too much from what was already published in the future releases. I think the stuff already in the highlighted boxes will still take priority. 

Steam

• 9F 2-10-0 Era 4&5. (not sure why there's 2 era 5s listed)
  • Castle Class Era 3, 4 & 5. (Get the era 3 GWR folk something!)

Deisel

• Class 31 Era 6, 7 & 9 (era subject to change)
  • Class 37 (era TBD though I was told there would be a green and blue variant)

Coaches

• LNER & BR Gresley era 3&4
  • GWR & BR Collett era 3&4
  • BR Mk1 Parcels Coach era 4
  • BR Mk1 2nd Class era 4

Even as an LMS fan and would love to see a Black 5 I would like to think they would release 2 GWR locos (castle class & 5700 class) before the 9F just to accommodate the GWR crowd. The Class 47 would also be popular but again it is just footnote text.

The reason I'm thinking that we might see further LNER and LMS locomotives, is based on a comment Martyn made in one of his April interviews (the exact one escaping me... argh). But he said something along the lines of the following: "We know there's excitement for other regions, but right now we're working through LNER and LMS projects that were started by previous management..."  I found that part interesting, because it was clear he was trying temper GWR/SR enthusiasm. Basically, he was suggesting TT is going to remain LNER/LMS for the time being. That's one of the reasons I was thinking we might not see GWR stock in 2025. We do know of at least five LNER/LMS projects in the pipeline that are not available for preorder (J94, Black 5, Peppercorn A1, Stanier Royal Princess, Teak Coaches). Those projects sounded like they are impeding GWR and SR for now. 

Of course, your point of the catalogue is fair. It could be that those indicate an order of operations. But based on what Martyn has said, I would caution GWR fans from getting their hopes up. Hornby could surprise on the upside, but it might be another year and a half before GWR gets its moment in the sun. 

For the sake of GWR fans, I hope I'm very wrong! 

26 minutes ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

The reason I'm thinking that we might see further LNER and LMS locomotives, is based on a comment Martyn made in one of his April interviews (the exact one escaping me... argh). But he said something along the lines of the following: "We know there's excitement for other regions, but right now we're working through LNER and LMS projects that were started by previous management..."  I found that part interesting, because it was clear he was trying temper GWR/SR enthusiasm. Basically, he was suggesting TT is going to remain LNER/LMS for the time being. That's one of the reasons I was thinking we might not see GWR stock in 2025. We do know of at least five LNER/LMS projects in the pipeline that are not available for preorder (J94, Black 5, Peppercorn A1, Stanier Royal Princess, Teak Coaches). Those projects sounded like they are impeding GWR and SR for now. 

Of course, your point of the catalogue is fair. It could be that those indicate an order of operations. But based on what Martyn has said, I would caution GWR fans from getting their hopes up. Hornby could surprise on the upside, but it might be another year and a half before GWR gets its moment in the sun. 

For the sake of GWR fans, I hope I'm very wrong! 

Good point (ran out of likes again).

They did also say that the diesel items sold better than steam so I got the impression they might prioritise these going forward. If they were to release 4 locos for example 3 diesel and 1 steam rather than 2 each.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

Good point (ran out of likes again).

They did also say that the diesel items sold better than steam so I got the impression they might prioritise these going forward. If they were to release 4 locos for example 3 diesel and 1 steam rather than 2 each.

You raise a key question here. In 2024, we are set to get five new locomotive toolings, three new wagon toolings, and three new coach toolings. It could be 2024 is just an exciting aberration. Or it could be that we'll get a similar pace of releases in 2025. If we can get 4 or 5 new locomotive toolings in 2025, we'd be in great shape. And there's actually reason for optimism that in 2025 we'll get a similar number of new locomotives toolings as 2024. Here's why I'm optimistic:

1) Class 37- Already in tooling and set for a 2025 release. 

2) 2nd 0-6-0T- This 0-6-0T entered development within months of the J50. As long as this project has not been cancelled, this should arrive not too long after the J50. This indicates a 2025 release as likely (See the Appendix for the complete discussion from the March 2023 TT magazine). Because the J50 was not on that individual's list, it narrows this locomotive down to the following options: Peckett Industrial Tank, LNER J72, LNER J69, Terrier, GWR 57XX Pannier, LMS Jinty. We can safely eliminate the Terrier as an option, because Martyn has said that while they will make the Terrier, it is not in the immediate pipeline. Thus, that leaves the Peckett, J72, J69, the Pannier, and the Jinty. You'll note that Simon writes that these two 0-6-0Ts are "as of yet... not announced." That eliminates the Pannier, as that was announced on the first day of TT's release in October 2022. So, assuming this project has not been cancelled, we can reasonably expect the J72, the J69, the Jinty, or the Peckett to be released in 2025. Which one of those is likely? Interestingly, the Peckett 0-6-0T is probably the most likely candidate. Like the J50, it was beloved in OO when it was released. Also like the J50, it has modern research and CAD models ready to go. While significant work would be needed to adapt the model to TT, it's not starting from scratch like the J72, the J69, or the Jinty. If not the Peckett, then my money is on the Jinty. But another 0-6-0T should arrive in 2025. 

3) The Class 31 should arrive in late 2025. It might slip into 2026, but it has a decent shot of arriving in 2025 based on a 18 month project time frame that started in March/April of 2024. 

That's a solid lineup right there! If Hornby can slip one (or two!) more tooling projects into 2025, this range will have great momentum. And then projects like the Class 47 and Class 60 become possible in 2026. If I could ask Martyn one question, it would be "can we expect the pace of model releases in 2025 to roughly match the pace in 2024?" If so, we're in good shape! 

Appendix:

image.thumb.png.da33f2d43aebec22def3e5e06aff86d9.png

Anyone want a Peckett?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/1458/hornby_oo_0_6_0st_class_b2_peckett?instock=true&onorder=true&soldout=true

Edited by Generic Hornby Username

• 3 weeks later...

The current release dates have a pretty big gap between November and May, five months without any releases? I wonder if the Class 37 or any of the unannounced models might fit into that space? Seems odd to make us wait until May for additional MK2 and 20T liveries unless there is something else planned early 2025?
Maybe new announcements in November and release early 25?

The 2025 models are anomalies from the old way of announcing far into the future with all the problems of tying Hornby in and making it difficult to react to market changes. There is rumoured to be another release announcement targeted for November at which point we should know what to expect for the first half of 2025 😀

All this speculation is so much fun (no sarcasm intended). It whiles away the time as we wait for the real story. I don’t know about others but sometimes my impatience tempts me into something outside my era. Perhaps that’s a strategy on Hornby’s part especially when they announce sales to tempt you even more.

A November announcement would make sense. Lots of people lose focus over the summer and get back into it as the weather deteriorates. Although it seems in the UK you might not notice the difference this year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterM67 said:

The 2025 models are anomalies from the old way of announcing far into the future with all the problems of tying Hornby in and making it difficult to react to market changes. There is rumoured to be another release announcement targeted for November at which point we should know what to expect for the first half of 2025 😀

yes, they've essentially shoved stuff along with a 2025 date to move it out the way for the known 2024 (and removed them from the 2024 catalogue). Some of it does make sense though, in April they said the Class 37 was at least a year away so having the Mk2E release around May/June 2025 would fit.

Did anyone notice the snippets in the interview in the latest Hornby Magazine? J50 delayed to Q1 2025, Class 37 still 18-24 months away from release and KFAs within 12 months.

Bit disappointing considering the website still says Autumn 2024 for the J50. Essentially means the only new release expected in the next 9 months will be the Class 66 and TOUAX wagons, green 08, extra tankers and signals/crossing etc? If so that means any announcement later this year will likely be low key with nothing major announced if they're sticking with only announcing items expected in the following 6-9 months. I expect they'll be wanting to get the Intercity set out in time for Christmas at least.

4 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Did anyone notice the snippets in the interview in the latest Hornby Magazine? J50 delayed to Q1 2025, Class 37 still 18-24 months away from release and KFAs within 12 months.

Bit disappointing considering the website still says Autumn 2024 for the J50. Essentially means the only new release expected in the next 9 months will be the Class 66 and TOUAX wagons, green 08, extra tankers and signals/crossing etc? If so that means any announcement later this year will likely be low key with nothing major announced if they're sticking with only announcing items expected in the following 6-9 months. I expect they'll be wanting to get the Intercity set out in time for Christmas at least.

Disappointed but we’ll have to see what happens. Might get a bigger run of J50s as preorders are unavailable on some versions. 

It’s unfortunate that the 6 pin DCC decoders are showing as ‘expected Autumn 2025’ as I’d love a class 08 or two. I cannot fathom why such an item would require so long a lead time 

Making the Bluetooth version, with its gubbins and antenna small enough has been challenging with what components have been available. There are still supply issues with some components particularly as China is losing some of the ability to make the components. For strategic reasons West is holding back on tech developed here, Geo Politics things. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to sub to the e-version of the Hornby mag but it will only let me start from October, I'm assuming that its not the October Mag we're talking about and not sure why if I sub now I can access the current mag.

Sadly I think this will give the ever-ready naysayers more ammo. However I also think that it would be a strategic mistake to release the J50s miles ahead of any 6pin HM7k chips. The one really needs the other. I am interested also in the other non-sound chips. Are they anywhere near ready? And when they are released are we expected three SKUs per model - ie - DCC-ready, HMDCC non-sound, and HMDCC sound-fitted?

4 minutes ago, GMD said:

Sadly I think this will give the ever-ready naysayers more ammo. However I also think that it would be a strategic mistake to release the J50s miles ahead of any 6pin HM7k chips. The one really needs the other. I am interested also in the other non-sound chips. Are they anywhere near ready? And when they are released are we expected three SKUs per model - ie - DCC-ready, HMDCC non-sound, and HMDCC sound-fitted?

Sorry but I have to fundamentally disagree. There are plenty of excellent 6 pin DCC decoders available at a range of price points with and without sound, and a range of DCC systems also at a range of price points with wireless handsets, app control via your phone, etc. Linking model releases to HM7000 would give them more ammo than not as it's already viewed as a closed system. Reinforcing that view isn't good for the hobby and anything that encourages buyers to look beyond Hornby is a good thing for it's overall health.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

I'm trying to sub to the e-version of the Hornby mag but it will only let me start from October, I'm assuming that its not the October Mag we're talking about and not sure why if I sub now I can access the current mag.

Not sure about that, the interview is in issue 207, the September issue.

• Like 1