Noch HO+TT Castle Ruin NOC58602

I thought I would start new topic on this, for any future members enquiries,it was previously raised under "1/76 scale" which was fairly obscure.

I was looking for a decrepid castle ruin for my 00 layout and this was the best I could find, but looked a bit small. I took the plunge and bought it, but was more suited to TT120 or even N. I decided to try to increase its size by building up a base underneath. It increased in height by 4cm (1 1/2 inches) not ideal but it is distant and rule #1 came into force. First 2 pictures (sorry they are on side angle for some reason) is before and next 2 are after.20240708_161028.thumb.jpg.89097f0ce2cd8f380edced31db2dd5be.jpg20240708_161108.thumb.jpg.7dc74086b1e93afe9148f392d1d4f61e.jpg20240731_133015.thumb.jpg.b852bded89f57392ceef5f2bf8a73a6c.jpg20240731_132949.thumb.jpg.e84782e0d9eec27989c0acd877213a72.jpg

I know Dolwydellan well! Have stayed there and been on that line and in the mountains numerous times. 

Regarding castles, has anyone seen any in gift shops that would do the job? We recently stayed in a caravan in the Lake District that had some models of local buildings on display, presumably available cheaply that were quite well detailed but possibly more TT or HO than OO. I have seen some smaller ones that were very reasonably priced, someone especially in Wales might do a castle. You could even have a look in Y Gwydr in Dolwydellan, they probably don’t have them but I’m sure there is a lot of other things of interest in there. Betws-Y-Coed, Blaenau Ffestiniog and Porthmadog might be better sources? 

The spell check on here really doesn’t like Welsh words or place names. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, my touring days are over, we did spend a couple of days in Wales pre COVID and found it the most hospitable place in the world. We did all our travel by train, including going up on the Conway Valley Line to Betws-y-Coed, where we stayed at the Royal Oak Hotel. A local offered to take us to the "Ugly House" at Ty Hyll ( a must see) and then, as we were up that way, took us on to the Pen-Y-Gwryd Hotel which was where Hillary and Tenzing trained for the first successful ascent of Mount Everest in 1953. Great memories and that tunnel going up there was something else.    Sorry, I digress, but it was before my "train modelling" days, so didn't think of castle models and such.

Edited by Aussie Fred
spelling error which is easy in Welsh
  • Like 1