Look what I found in Chesterfield today (05/08/2024)

JJ73

Bee, I think some of the tramway locos did including some BR diesel shunters. Some of the steam trams certainly did but they were not to the same design as the USA ones. I think they were more common on the Irish lines. 

Were Flying Scotsman or the Royal Scot fitted with one when they were in the USA? 

• Thanks 1

Just found a photo of Royal Scot (I know it had swapped ID with a sister loco) fitted with one on line but my iPad won’t let me copy a link for some reason. Did the GWR King ever have one? It had the bell but a quick search hasn’t shown any photos of it fitted with a cow-catcher. 

Hello Bee - My guess it as good as yours - As the other said a few Trams were fitted with a Cow Catcher & the F. S. (Didn't know about the Royal Scot going to America - News to me!!!) had A Cow Catcher, Bell & Light fitted when it went across the Pond!!! 😉🚂

• Like 1

Which I believe is actually loco 6152 and, as the identities were not reversed when '6100' returned to the UK or even when rebuilt, the loco preserved is not the one that started its career as "Royal Scot". 

13 hours ago, Going Spare said:

Which I believe is actually loco 6152 and, as the identities were not reversed when '6100' returned to the UK or even when rebuilt, the loco preserved is not the one that started its career as "Royal Scot". 

I don’t think they are 100% sure which loco it actually swapped with but 6152 is the most likely. Also, when the locos were rebuilt there was very little of the original locos used, and I was reading that as they were rebuilt parts from the previous locos were used in the construction so a bit of a mish-mash. There seem to have been a number of different nameplates used while it was in the US according to a number of sources. There was also a streamlined Coronation went but I can’t remember which one. 

53 minutes ago, Rana Temporia said:

I don’t think they are 100% sure which loco it actually swapped with but 6152 is the most likely. Also, when the locos were rebuilt there was very little of the original locos used, and I was reading that as they were rebuilt parts from the previous locos were used in the construction so a bit of a mish-mash. There seem to have been a number of different nameplates used while it was in the US according to a number of sources. There was also a streamlined Coronation went but I can’t remember which one. 

I have a book about Coronations. It is in there.

. . . unfortunately the book is buried in a box somewhere following a house move.

Streamlined Princess Coronation 6229 Duchess of Hamilton was outshopped in September 1938 uniquely carrying 'Shop Grey' livery until repainted in to LMS Crimson Lake that December prior to attending the following year's New York World's Fair in the guise of 6220 Coronation. 

It was accompanied by a matching-liveried set of coaches and although the locomotive was repatriated in 1942 and reaquired its 6229 identity in 1943, the coaches remained in the USA for the duration of the war and never entered UK service is as-exported condition. 

There is a photograph online showing the loco in the USA fitted with a large faired-in headlight and a bell mounted atop the casing immediately in front of the chimney, the latter looking to be out-of-gauge for UK operation, but no cow-catcher. 

To get back to JJ’s original post, there really is a prototype for everything! Several UK mainline locos with cow-catchers fitted, swapped identities and……..an LMS engine that was almost a direct copy of a Southern one (allegedly). Although apparently the SR did hand over the Lord Nelson drawings to help. 

Here is an early type of cow catcher, if you will.

1842, Francis Whishaw illustration of a London and Birmingham Railway passenger locomotive.  An obvious Edmund Bury locomotive.

large.1842WhishawLondonandBirminghamRwy.jpg.d5a6802850841ba5b2e34ccfa6f6c900.jpg

Simple to see how it worked, it just picked stuff off the rails to prevent derailment.  

Bee

And to complement JJ’s original post this is one I took this evening outside Tesco at Horwich. It represents one of the L&Y 2-4-2 tanks built at the loco works. Unfortunately it hasn’t been maintained since it went in and is now rusty with chunks of paint falling off it. There was an 8F smokebox and some wheels in the park in Horwich. I don’t know if they are still there.

IMG_1066.jpeg

• Like 1

Ha!  I spent many minutes searching in the background for the locomotive Rana was talking about.  Was it that smudge, that blob?  I just couldn't see the locomotive.  Check the text, check the image.  Why couldn't I see it????  What is he talking about???

I finally realized, the buffers were right there, in plain view.  Very, very sneaky!!

Bee

• Like 1

On 06/08/2024 at 01:21, JJ73 said:

I was in Chesterfield today & walking past a Metal Fence and saw this...do you see what I saw???

SteamLocoInFence.thumb.jpg.d31a5460cc284adc37cb65ccac898e82.jpg

If its where I think, then its the site of the old gas works railway line which came off the current main line, it used to come down past Queens Park and up into the gas works. It's also on the route of the old Brampton tram line. At one time there was 3 stations in the town, the current station was the LMS Midland Station, where the A61 is now next to the college was Chesterfield Central run by LNER and Chesterfield Market Place (LNER closed in the 50s due to a tunnel problem at Bolsover) near the Portland Pub (once Portland Hotel next door to the station). 

Hi @Tim Allen

From that description, it sounds like you have definitive knowledge.  That the panel is representative of actual regional railway history.

Is the locomotive in the panel evocative of the actual locomotives that were utilized there?  Do you happen to have an image of a locomotive that "matches" the panel?  Presumably with a cow catcher, of course.

I think it is terrific that the panel isn't just a piece of art.

Bee

Posted (edited)

Yes Tim - It is very near Queens Park, but I didn't know about the History what you said about, but I do know that there used to be a Railway line going from the Main Line to the Gas Works in Chesterfield b/c you can still follow it today!!! Also there is an old Railway Tunnel in Chesterfield which I found many years ago & I explored (quite near to the Portland Pub (once Portland Hotel & the A61- The far end of which is blocked off & when I turn around & came back out again to the same way as I went in - There was a Policeman Standing there asking me what I was doing in there!!! I told him I was just exploring really & he said i shouldn't of really be in there as it was a bit dangerous!!!

Edited by JJ73

11 hours ago, JJ73 said:

Yes Tim - It is very near Queens Park, but I didn't know about the History what you said about, but I do know that there used to be a Railway line going from the Main Line to the Gas Works in Chesterfield b/c you can still follow it today!!! Also there is an old Railway Tunnel in Chesterfield which I found many years ago & I explored (quite near to the Portland Pub (once Portland Hotel & the A61- The far end of which is blocked off & when I turn around & came back out again to the same way as I went in - There was a Policeman Standing there asking me what I was doing in there!!! I told him I was just exploring really & he said i shouldn't of really be in there as it was a bit dangerous!!!

That's the old railway tunnel for Chesterfield central, there's a ladder at the end that comes up near the court house.

I've added some photo's of the Market Station which closed in the 1950's when the Bolsover tunnel was deemed unsafe for passengers.

LDECR.jpg

454404664_10229061696101086_8864968096301438848_n.jpg

454755697_485656141090021_2047701073338482046_n.jpg

Edited by Tim Allen
Added photos