No forward or backward movement from my new Flying Scotsman

Good afternoon, all.

I've just had my brand new R3991SS Flying Scotsman running in for half an hour in forward direction, using my Hornby Elite.

All the functions operated perfectly, and the firebox flicker was there. Then I had to perform the Elite's emergency stop! After ten minutes, I pressed the STOP button again, as advised in the manual, and all the displays were back as were.

After another ten minutes or so, I attempted running in in reverse direction. However, there was, and is, no movement from the loco, in either direction.

The firebox still flickers, and all the functions still work, but I can't make her move.

I've removed her from the track and replaced her, and I've completely disconnected the Elite from the track and from mains power.

Can anybody out there kindly advise me? My grateful thanks in advance.

Try checking (& resetting) the value of CV19.  Alternative write value 8 to CV8 (to perform a factory reset of all CV values.)

It sounds like the emergency stop has unintentionally corrupted a CV affecting motor control. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

Hi @mightyllama

Please do tell us if you find success with altering CV19.  Hornby is currently chasing this

https://community.hornbyhobbies.com/forums/topic/35896-cv19-reverting-to-a-value-other-than-default/?do=findComment&comment=385596

Thank you!

Bee

The test team have today been given half a dozen profiles to test on iOS that include the fix for the cv19 issue. 

10 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

@SteveM6

I didn't catch that the team already had the fix in hand.  96RAF reports this, which I missed.

If its a checksum problem, then pressing e-stop will not be related to CV19 as there is no deliberate writing to CVs.  

Bee

Elite ES sends a broadcast command so would (could) affect any/all locos. 

Hi @96RAF

I do not claim to understand why a broadcast e-Stop would result in writing to a configuration variable, presumably stored in non-volatile memory.

My sole purpose here was to insure that you received the data you requested. LT&SR_NSE suggested to OP that it may be CV19.  That triggered an association in my mind with your request.

So if you want OP's data, as it relates to CV19, just say so.  If you don't, just say so.  

I remain strictly on the sidelines, as an interested observer

Bee

I was running my scotsman and prince of wales yesterday when I accidentally shorted the layout both locos stopped but when power was restored the pow started up again but the scotsman wouldn't until I removed it from the rails and replaced it even then it needed a little push to get it going but it's been fine since 

Another thing to add I ran the prince of wales onto the turntable this morning turned the sound off and turned the loco,while turning obviously there is a spot where there is no power to the rails ,once it reached the siding I turned the sound back on nothing no movement no sound, after tearing my hair out I pressed resume operational control as if by magic all functions came back yet yesterday when I shorted the track it came back on its own

19 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

Hi @96RAF

I do not claim to understand why a broadcast e-Stop would result in writing to a configuration variable, presumably stored in non-volatile memory.

My sole purpose here was to insure that you received the data you requested. LT&SR_NSE suggested to OP that it may be CV19.  That triggered an association in my mind with your request.

So if you want OP's data, as it relates to CV19, just say so.  If you don't, just say so.  

I remain strictly on the sidelines, as an interested observer

Bee

I didn't ask for anything, just saying about an ES, pondering really if there could be any corruption.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hello there. The CV19 solution didn’t work, but the CV8 one did. I can’t begin to tell you the relief I felt when my loco moved slowly off. Thank you very much, matey. 

On 07/08/2024 at 16:35, LTSR_NSE said:

Try checking (& resetting) the value of CV19.  Alternative write value 8 to CV8 (to perform a factory reset of all CV values.)

It sounds like the emergency stop has unintentionally corrupted a CV affecting motor control. @LTSR_NSE Hello there. The CV19 solution didn’t work, but the CV8 one did. I can’t begin to tell you the relief I felt when my loco moved slowly off. Thank you very much, matey

Edited by 96RAF
Text in quote relocated per Fishy's advice.
  • Like 1

ML, having quoted a post, could you please try to put your own addition under the quote, rather than in it.  That way it will be much easier to see that you have actually added something not in the quote.

At least we now know a reset solved the problem.  Usually it’s something more complex/specific to HM7000 these days, not just basic DCC troubleshooting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/08/2024 at 16:35, LTSR_NSE said:

It sounds like the emergency stop has unintentionally corrupted a CV affecting motor control. 

Hello there @LTSR_NSE

The CV19 solution didn't work, but the CV8 solution did. I can't tell you the relief I felt when she slowly pulled away.

Many, many thanks, matey.

• Like 1