What's been running on your rails today ....

Glad the hst runs fast or slow in both directions ie pulling AND pushing without any issues. Looking from the track level while running I'm spying a few minor kinks in the rails, but they aren't causing any problems.

I need to sort the fiddle/parking yard soon so all trains are ready to go.

I wanted a single up/down line as I live on the Worcester - Hereford section of route and as a kid, always thought a single track had more atmosphere, especially near the two tunnels under the Malvern Hills.

Also much scenery to do which takes an age.

Cheers Daz 

With the recent 94xx purchase, I looked at a few 'real' videos.

9466 is the preserved one only, and she was hauling some BR Mk.1 Pullman cars, so I got my rake of 5 out.

They're quite free-rolling for lit coaches, but what's surprising is the amount of current they consume - probably between 40-50 mA each!

Al.

11 hours ago, Darren-373700 said:

Testing the sensor signal, but now thinking, should it have been green and RED?

Very nice, but if I recall my service days in railway as train guard, I only remember 3 signals, green, orange and red or some of them 4 signals, green, double orange and red. I am sure more experienced modeller will either correct me or confirm my memory, also advice you as well. Just google British Railway signal and on newer LED signal, one can achieve 4 aspect with just 2 signal as well. So although you have done excellent job, as you have said yourself instead of yellow it should be red.

Edited by Deem

Bachmann 08, Hornby K1 and Hornby 390.

It's quite amazing how slowly the 390 can move considering how fast it can move!!

K1 has been hauling a slow goods for perhaps 3-4 hours and there's no sign of speed change, nor of any warmth whatsoever - superb performer.

Al.

Well, I thought I'd test the Accurascale 66 779 Evening Star a little ... 

I do mention I couldn't think of another which could haul this lot, but ...

1. I could easily have added quite a lot more wagons, pulling away was so effortless - really!!  Power needed was increased, but full traction was there without any slippage!
  2. 2. My Hattons H4-66 on which the A/S 66 is based, I've no doubt could perform similarly.
  3. I think the Hornby Class 60 could haul this lot as well, but I'm not certain - I'll try later today!

Quite simply, this is an absolutely superb model locomotive - probably one of the best proprietary locomotives available by any manufacturer - no exaggeration.

Al.

• Like 1

Well it's frequently 'time for change', as my layout's nowhere near as large as I'd like, nor do I have a huge 'fiddle yard', so every couple of weeks or so, coaching stock gets 'rotated'.

The Mk.I Pullman coaches have returned to their protective boxes, and a mix of BR blue / grey Mk.2 coaching stock is out - several are the 'then-excellent' Airfix coaches - obviously limited and dated by modern standards, but always run very well and look the part, plus a mix of Hornby and Bachmann to complement.

I've some BR MotorRail Oxford Rail one layer transporters out, so there's actually a train of 9 coaches and 7 (very free-running) wagons, with Oxford Rail cars on them - mix of AllAgros (!!!), Marinas, P6's, with some classics - Interceptor, Capri, E-Type and my favourite of this lot, a +2S 130 Lotus Elan in blue / silver.

SWAS (46256) can actually haul this lot, but with a fair amount of wheelslip, so I've brought it into 'period' and have my (latest issue) Heljan Class 86 hauling them all, with ease, and fast - it's actually faster than a Hornby latest-issue Class 87.  9 coaches + 7 wagons, so quite a load, quite long, and looks pretty impressive.

Al.

That Heljan 86 is a star performer - she's been thundering around the rails quite a bit today, together with the super detailed 87 I also mentioned.

It is true, the 87 hauls without issue - quick wheel clean was required and a little lubrication - but really isn't quite as fast as the Heljan 86!

The Pendolino made a brief appearance - that is fast!  All good fun.

Al.

Very Good @atom3624 - I tried that with one of my Locos (but ended up have to using 2 Locos...) b/c I was pulling a whole load of Carriages in stead of wagons & it got a bit too much on 1 of the corners & a few carriages ended up tipping over!!! 😄🚂

19 hours ago, JJ73 said:

Very good @Darren-373700 - What Loco & Camera were you using on both of the 2 above 'Chasing' Videos??? 🤔🚂

It was a small FPV camera my son got off Ebay or amazon .. it's tiny but gets very hot. I had it black tacked to an open Lima hst chassis and pushed/pulled by the motorised class 110 car.

Edited by Darren-373700

Today, the permanant way department has got the inner track closed for ballasting works. The other 2 tracks are occupied by a Hornby Edward model (one of Thomas the tank engine's mates) and the other line by a railroad 08. The branch line is being run by the class 121 DMU. XYZ

• Like 1

I still have my Virgin Pendolino hauling 10 plus the dummy on the outer loop, plus currently my Hornby late-model 87 hauling 10x Mk.2's on the inner.

It's quite fun running the Pendolino as smoothly, slowly as possible, and then opening her up for a couple of circuits!!

Al.

Finally got round to fitting a decoder into my EFE Booster. The trouble with it, is that it needs a decoder with 6 functions which rules out most decoders. In the end I used a Dapol Infineon which has all the lighting functions available. Trouble is with this model with its removable buffers it is not the sort of thing you want to take apart that often in case they get damaged.

Just received - finally - those set-of-3 Newton Chambers blue/grey Heljan Motorail coaches - I reckon these are perhaps the freest-running coaches ever!!

Even a 'steamie' could haul 15 with relative ease.  They are quite heavy as well, and with sprung buffers.  Overall, very impressed, 'though I didn't pay anywhere near 'list price'.

Al.