Getting the new chip to work on z21

GR77

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

CV 149 is ordinarily set to 2, you should also have options of 0 and 1, select 0 to arm  Auto Calibration, exit.

I didn't realise that you could use the cv editor on the Hornby app when the loco is set to dcc mode . However in my case it doesn't matter if it's set to blue tooth or dcc I can't select anything on the cv149 setting . Not a big problem as I've only needed it once in 8 months because my TT120 class 50 was so slow . I will try to install it on my samsung tablet instead of my samsung phone to see if that makes a difference , never bothered before as I've only used the Hornby app to load the profiles till now .

If you can’t select any options at all in CV 149, there must be a corruption of the profile. I would suggest a delete, upload 08 profile to overwrite and reload the correct profile.

Corruptions can be from an interruption during upload or a short circuit during operation, a derailment can cause it. The beauty of HM DCC is you can easily upload a new profile or make changes until your heart is content. 

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

If you can’t select any options at all in CV 149, there must be a corruption of the profile. I would suggest a delete, upload 08 profile to overwrite and reload the correct profile.

Corruptions can be from an interruption during upload or a short circuit during operation, a derailment can cause it. The beauty of HM DCC is you can easily upload a new profile or make changes until your heart is content. 

That is unbelievable, that cannot be true. When you load a profile it goes into program memory, well I hope it does. To rewrite it is usually very difficult, a simple short shouldn't affect the profile. Normally a reset (CV=8) should fix any issues in CVs which I assume are stored in emulated eeprom (Pics use this as a cheap EEprom).

The inability to change some CVs from the app has been well documented on here and has been present from the launch. It mainly manifested itself on cv29 and cv149 and may have been linked to the operating system and/or the device being used.

I can recall a partial fix at the start of the year but don't know the current state of play as I've not had the need to fiddle with those cv's recently.

If users are still having issues with this problem please report them on here with details of your device etc so we can feed this back to the developers.

18 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Maybe if it was just 1 loco but all 5 locos I don't think so . Just transferred them from my Samsung S22 to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 and still not able to change cv149 .

Ahhhh, With what @SteveM6 said above reminded me about this bug with Android, I’m on IOS so that’s why mine has always worked. 
The corruption thing via shorts can occur with identity, I have had a couple of instances where a decoder has assumed the identity of another one near it after a short (gauging out or derailment over points) Baffled me at first but not hard to fix. 

On 26/08/2024 at 17:00, AV59 said:

Using the Hornby app I can go into cv settings select cv149 which gives me 3 buttons for 0 2 and 4 none of which do anything when pressed .

I am trying to reset cv149 I am given 2 options but when I press reset nothing happens,

Have tried to do the autocalibration twice but makes no difference . Someone said may have been you can't remember had so many offers of help. Upload profile 08 i assume the diesel 08 that didn't work then uploaded the original profile I want still no good. Sounds yes but quiet speed very very slow.  I have learned a lot about the app and stuff but can't sort problem 

On 26/08/2024 at 18:33, AV59 said:

I didn't realise that you could use the cv editor on the Hornby app when the loco is set to dcc mode . However in my case it doesn't matter if it's set to blue tooth or dcc I can't select anything on the cv149 setting . Not a big problem as I've only needed it once in 8 months because my TT120 class 50 was so slow . I will try to install it on my samsung tablet instead of my samsung phone to see if that makes a difference , never bothered before as I've only used the Hornby app to load the profiles till now .

I have it set to BT

Just spoken to hornby explained problem they talked me through the reset stuff and no difference. Thanks for everybody's help but these are not for me. Fortunately sold the 21 pin and am getting rid of this and buying a plug in  no hassle  decoder. 

3 hours ago, GR77 said:

They always have but no one can help me so I have no choice 

I think you would have had difficulty fitting it into your loco with the body on unless you get the Dremel out. I was asked by someone to fit a LokSound decoder for them on this model and I fitted a Zimo to my one. So these both fit without any machining. I think the Zimo is easier as they make quite a small one.

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

I think you would have had difficulty fitting it into your loco with the body on unless you get the Dremel out. I was asked by someone to fit a LokSound decoder for them on this model and I fitted a Zimo to my one. So these both fit without any machining. I think the Zimo is easier as they make quite a small one.

No it fits perfect just doesn't work have now removed and going to try it into a hornby loco. I explained to someone who asked how to fit in a 4MT you remove smoke box door feed wires through followed by chip fits perfect. 

25 minutes ago, GR77 said:

No it fits perfect just doesn't work have now removed and going to try it into a hornby loco. I explained to someone who asked how to fit in a 4MT you remove smoke box door feed wires through followed by chip fits perfect. 

I suppose it is because I like all the electronics to be attached to chassis so you don't have trailing wires between body and chassis. That is just me though.

Am trying the,chip in a hornby loco but being asked again to update,bluetooth firmware but it's taking forever how long should it take? One more question if it actually works and I set the sounds will the sounds transfer to my z21 or will I have to set the functions on the z21. BT has been updating for 30 mins now and showing 0%

Every HM 7000 decoder I have had, has at first power up requested an update, most systems do as things have been refined since it was manufactured. Usually takes 20-30 seconds for me. 
The fact yours isn’t  making progress sugggests you have a device (phone/tablet) issue rather than a decoder issue. This is likely your issue all along. I’m not familiar with Android devices, I am on IOS and it just works without me having to ‘set anything’ 

All the sound and running profiles are stored on the decoder, the Z21 or any other control method is just activating or deactivating them. The function numbers will mirror what the profile sets them on the App. IE, brake squeal is F4, horn/whistles are a choice of F2 or F3. You can via the app select whistles/horn sequence or even a specific one or ones if you prefer. 

Edited by Rallymatt

32 minutes ago, GR77 said:

Am trying the,chip in a hornby loco but being asked again to update,bluetooth firmware but it's taking forever how long should it take? One more question if it actually works and I set the sounds will the sounds transfer to my z21 or will I have to set the functions on the z21. BT has been updating for 30 mins now and showing 0%

It should take about 20 to 25 minutes. It sounds like your phone/pad had an issue trying to update its internal hardware. I must admit if it was me I would delete the App and reload it and start again. Other people may have different solutions. It could be that your wireless is not working properly.

If you are using a Smart phone, check you can get to the web by say going to the BBC website. If you can't then that is probably your issue. What you could do is go into your phone's settings and switch off the WiFi the App will then use data from your phone. Then see if it works. Don't forget to switch the WiFi back on when you are done. Of course if you aren't using a phone then ignore this last paragraph.

Edited by ColinB

29 minutes ago, GR77 said:

You mean will the sound function listings transfer to your Z21 - answer, when you press the function buttons the associated sounds will play, but if you want a visual listing of those functions are on your Z21, you will have to type the descriptions in yourself.

As stated before the app looks after itself and the 7K decoders, not the controllers, in fact it has no idea what controller you have.

Likewise the decoder has no idea what loco you install it in, it simply does its thing and the loco responds.

BT shouldn't take long to update, certainly not half an hour. Some profiles may take that long in toto, which is why you were advised to try the Class 08 profile which is the smallest file thus the quickest to load as a test.

• Like 1

Does this not track back to a thread some months ago regarding profile loading times?

During the course of that discussion it was determined that successful loading is very much dependent on the strength and stability of both the Bluetooth and WiFi signals. It was also established that loading is also influenced by the choice of operating system (iOS or Android) and the device being used - not all tablets are created equal.

• Like 1

Thank you all for all the help but I'm giving up on these there not worth the trouble. I have been reading all the woes users are experiencing first all ok then not ok. Got money back on 21 pin I'll be selling the 8 pin and buying a proper decoder just plug in and that's it. I know they cost a lot more but it's worth the none hassle. I'm glad I've read all the problems users are experiencing. Nothing wrong with the iPad I use or the android phone never had an issue. Incidentally check out the lais dcc on ebay dirt cheap I've had some for years £15 for a basic one.