Class 50: are you pleased with your model?

dBerriff

I am thinking of ordering a Class 50. I have hesitated because of the drive shaft problems. To beat the price rise it is decision time and I also have a few points to spend. I would appreciate any comments on how the Class 50 design has worked out in practice. The 50 is not a class I would have chosen modelling-wise (nothing personal but I do not recall seeing any in action) but our choice is limited. At the moment my decision is veering towards no. I would prefer another Duchess perhaps to complete the trio. Or a second 66 on pre-order (Evening Star). Ah, spoilt for choice!

If you have the TXS version, how do you rate the sound compared to the early models. The Duchess of Atholl is my reference.

Edited by dBerriff

From my point of view I cannot complain about the 50. I have 4, 2 of which have already had their chassis ground up to fit a Deltic body. Even though I did that with everything assembled I have not encountered a drive shaft issue and they run superbly.

As I do not like sound I cannot comment on that part of your question.

ps, I have never seen any in action but they did run in steam days which is why I have a green one, modellers license as in reality it was painted green well after steam stopped.

Edited by Silver Fox 17

@dBerriff

The Class50 is ideal as a powerful locomotive because it has a lot of weight. This means it doesn't have any problems with inclinations.

The details are also very well done.

I haven't had any problems with its gears yet, but I don't let my locomotives run in circles for hours on end, I only do them when I feel like it. It did get a piece of paper fluff in its gears once, but I was able to fix that straight away. However, I hadn't taken my eyes off it while it was running, so I was able to take immediate action.

Thank you. I know most British diesel-electrics sound horrible, Class 55 excepted, but is how they were and still are if running. Such is nostalgia that I put up with it. 🙄

Ok, so that is good to hear. I do not intend to include an incline. So, decision time...

I have 2 class 50’s - BR and Elgar both running HM7k and have to say I am really impressed. As others have said plenty of power, pulls easily even on incline, detail is great and lights and sound really bring it life. Easily my favourites closely followed by my 2 HST’s then class 08 before any of the steam loco’s I have/have had, but comes down to personal preference in the end. 

• Like 1

I had problems with the drive shaft at first. The first one failed after about an hour, the second straight out the box after being 'fixed'. I was sent a brand new model and it has so far, ran flawlessly. I bought the DC version and later upgraded it to DCC and the sound is great as far as I can tell. Sometimes when it coughs and splutters on started up I look at the model as though its really struggling to start up 😆

Guest D R Cole

I have 2 class 50s and have had no problems whatsoever.  I would like to reproduce a modern preservation train with a Coronation class on the front and a class 50 on the back (possibly a gutted model - free-wheel like an extra carriage).  I doubt Hornby will ever produce one so I will continue to scour the pages of Ebay for a 'spares or repair).  

I’m late to this thread but have Sir Edward Elgar and it has met and exceeded my (admittedly easily satisfied) expectations. Being new to the hobby and a non technical kind of chap, I have little knowledge regarding some of the intricacies, which others will have. But to my eyes and ears, it looks and sounds great, and seems pretty powerful. I’m pleased with my purchase and have no regrets

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ukpetey said:

I’m late to this thread but have Sir Edward Elgar and it has met and exceeded my (admittedly easily satisfied) expectations. Being new to the hobby and a non technical kind of chap, I have little knowledge regarding some of the intricacies, which others will have. But to my eyes and ears, it looks and sounds great, and seems pretty powerful. I’m pleased with my purchase and have no regrets

I am almost word for word the same as @ukpetey.  Substitute Leviathan for Sir Edward Elgar and I could have written this post.

• Like 1

@dBerriffim in the same mind as you i would love to get one but the drive shaft it as put me off a bit 

and then  i run my class 43 today and it stopped  i had  a look and found  one drive shaft in the middle of my track so back to hornby.       i had it when it first  came out 5 mouths ago not bad  i could try to  put back  in my self but my  eyesight is not that good and my hands  shake a bit so back it goes so im going to cut my order for the class 66s i will just get the one to see how they go and get the rest later a bit more cash but less stress.

i got  to figure what do  to 😂send it back  help welcome

A score draw for me.

I ordered both Leviathan and Sir Edward TXS versions as a few came back into stock at the same time as the 500/50 offer.

Leviathan runs like, well, a train!

Sir Edward not so good. A strange case of stopping in random places. @Rallymatt and others made suggestions - removing oil, checking B2B - which did improve things but then a low grinding noise at low speed began. I've reported it to Hornby and await a reply.

Have you tried the @Dodge1965 fix for odd noise, back the body fixing screws off about half a turn? The body seems to have a perfect sound chamber to amplify normal mechanical sound into something worrying. 
Absolutely return to Hornby if you are not happy though. It’s better that any issues are picked up. 

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 2

Different people have got a different offer. They offered me £250 off 🙂

There was a catch however. I would have needed to buy £1500 worth of in stock stuff so naturally I have declined 🤣They have sent me this offer several times now which is a little annoying as I can never make use of it!

In terms of am I happy with my Class 50's. It's hard to tell. I ran both of them in under standard DC without any issues for a couple of hours but since them they have needed to sit in their boxes. I've not had a chance to fit the HM7000 decoders I have waiting for them and have I suffered a slipped rod? - well no but then they are in their boxes so at the moment everything is perfect!