My Exmouth RNLI Shannon lifeboat.

David-1332531

Well having volunteered at Exmouth RNLI for the last 8 years or so, I was absolutely delighted to see this new kit which was released by Airfix.

The Exmouth Shannon is only one of two which still have the white lower hull.  So this was a really nice build using my photographs of the actual lifeboat.

I’ve added 6 crew which add a little realism to the model and I will build each one of the Shannons that have been to Exmouth in a selection of dioramas.

It’s a fabulous kit and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed building it.

IMG_6767.jpeg

IMG_6764.jpeg

IMG_6762.jpeg

IMG_6761.jpeg

IMG_6760.jpeg

IMG_6752.jpeg

• Like 6

Just now, Valhalla said:

Very nice, looks great with the figures

Thank you very much, it does add a bit of atmosphere and they were great fun to paint. 

On 08/05/2024 at 20:35, john redman said:

I was kind of looking for the passengers....

Hi John, I purchased the resin 1/72 lifeboat crew from Scale 3D Ltd online. They are resin and the detail is amazing. I purchased 3 sets for around £15.

Hope that info helps.

Cheers, Dave

11 minutes ago, Ratch said:

It's great when you can build a model of something with a personal connection, and yours looks great too David 🏆

I remember the day she came on service at Exmouth and was and still am amazed at this lifeboat and its superb abilities. The two Scania 650 engines and the Hamilton jets propel her along in excess of 25 knots and can operate in 3 feet of water. 👍😊

2 hours ago, Sailorman said:

Very nice build.  Look forward to seeing others.

Thank you, I’ll be making the Invergordon Shannon next, as they carry the names of my late parents. It will hopefully be a nice comparison with the lower hull in the black anti fowl finish.  Wish me luck. 😊

2 hours ago, David-1332531 said:

It will hopefully be a nice comparison with the lower hull in the black anti fowl finish.  

G'day, I didn't know that chickens were such a problem for life-boats. I think you mean 'anti-foul'. 😁

But seriously, having your parents' name on the boat must be a nice touch. Good luck with it. 🙂 

And you Exmouth boat does look very good.

Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

G'day, I didn't know that chickens were such a problem for life-boats. I think you mean 'anti-foul'. 😁

But seriously, having your parents' name on the boat must be a nice touch. Good luck with it. 🙂 

And you Exmouth boat does look very good.

Regards, Jeff.

Oops! I Should have checked my spelling there Jeff. I did chuckle when I read your reply. Yes, it was such a nice way of having their memory remembered. 

The Shannon lifeboats are designed to be in service for 25 years with the ability to extend to 50 years. At present 52 have been built as 6 are built at a time at Poole. 

Best regards, Dave. 👍

• Like 2

That's a fabulous looking build and it's great to see it with the white hull and crew - it looks very striking. Very nicely done and thanks to you and your fellow RNLI members for your service. 

I really should build one of these - I drive past the Llandudno lifeboat station at least four times a day taking my son to school. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ratch said:

Dave, did you see this?

That’s a fabulous post Ratch and I can agree seeing the Shannon’s being built plus the odd Severn class lifeboat being up graded at the end of the lineup is such an immensely rewarding thing to see. 
The Shannon 13-04 Storm Rider has been at Exmouth and this will be built by me not only to have it in the lineup of Shannon’s which have operated here but also in memory of my dear 4 year old German Shepherd who was named Storm and was a Rescue from the RSPCA. Tragically he died at 4 yrs following a tragic accident. 

I can see a batch build of Shannon’s going to be looked at with a variety of dioramas taken from photographs that I’ve taken over the years. 

Have a fab evening, cheers Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A J Rimmer said:

That's a fabulous looking build and it's great to see it with the white hull and crew - it looks very striking. Very nicely done and thanks to you and your fellow RNLI members for your service. 

I really should build one of these - I drive past the Llandudno lifeboat station at least four times a day taking my son to school. 

Thank you very much, that’s very kind of you to say. It was a lovely model to build and now that I’ve done possibly the hardest livery so to speak with the lower white hull. I’ll be looking forward to trying the darker hull.

The 1/72 scale crew really do make the lifeboat more active even when she’s sitting still.

They are such impressive vessels and even though smaller than our previous Trent lifeboat ‘Forward Birmingham’ she is a fantastic design with superb capabilities.

One thing I did do was cut the side stripes in half! That is such a good idea as it allows more control when fitting them, plus you cannot see a join once dried.

All the very best Dave

• Like 1