Clan Line DCC conversion - where does this go?

MaxTheSax

I've just added the R8249 decoder chip to a newly-acquired Clan Line. I followed the instructions for removing the body - first detach the speedometer. Then, assuming that I could not get to the screw to remove the body I removed the front bogie. Whilst

I then realised it wasn't necessary, I decided that it was easier to handle with the bogie detached. As the body didn't seem to come away easily, I also mistakenly removed the screw from the pony truck which I realised was unnecesary so I screwed it back.

However,

when I finally removed the body a small nylon washer dropped out. I just can't see where it comes from despite poring over the Hornby Service sheet.

When I reassembled (without the nylon washer) the conversion seemed to have been successful but

I am worried that the washer is an essential item that needs to go back.

Can anyone advise?

Max

It is an anti-friction washer and in my case was on the screw shank above the bogie articulating link - that is between the link and the loco chassis.

There is probably one on the pony truck as well.

It is not as far as I can see used as an

electrical insulator just friction relief.

Rob

RAFHAAA96th said:

Max
It is an anti-friction washer and in my case was on the screw shank above the bogie articulating link - that is between the link and the loco chassis.
There is probably one on the pony truck as well.
It is not

as far as I can see used as an electrical insulator just friction relief.
Rob

Rob

Thanks for your reply. I have checked the loco and it's still a bit of a mystery. There is a brass washer in the position that you describe which I am pretty certain is the original since it has some black paint on it and I seem to remember it was

lightly stuck when I unscrewed the bogie. The nylon washer is almost identical in size so cannot fit the pony truck because the screw has a larger diameter.

Perhaps I don't need it after all.

Max

I don't know whether this is of any use, but it does mention a plastic(?) ring/washer - for more details see - http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=H-R2204.

Note: One big issue with the latest Hornby models that

use this system to transfer electrical current from the tender to the locomotive via copper brushes on the tender hook. The tender hook itself is conductive, then there is a plastic ring insulating it from a plate above. The tender hook feeds current from

the right tender wheels and the plate feeds current from the left tender wheels. Sometimes the brushes on the loco that are meant to touch the plate, get jammed on the plastic insulating ring and end up in contact with the tender pin (see upper left photo).

This causes a short-circuit and shutdown of the DCC control system. When attaching the tender to the loco, make sure the brushes are in the right place before turning on the power. Photo upper right: A: Left wheels brush from loco are correctly touching the

plate on tender; B: Plastic ring where brush can catch causing a short-circuit; C: Right wheels brush from loco touching the tender pin; D: The length of the tender pin that is conductive.

Back to the problem, my experience is that a washer is there to spread the load of the screwhead. It also follows that a thin plastic washer is there to relieve the friction, therefore it is likely that the two are both used possibly together but you need

to see if the friction washer could be between the chassis and the bogie. Depends where the load is, look where the weight is supported on the bogie. I hope that seem clear to you.

Well, for me WTD, I can't even remember what I was just going to type about remembering things.

Another point is that if something pings out, such as a spring, when your taking a loco apart and you didn't notice where it came from, you can look at the

video.

Archived