Class 37 with decent weight about with high details

Deem

Hello

I bought a Hornby R30041TTS without TTS but was fairly disappointed with whole weight of the loco, it was as light as some of the tiny 0-4-0 steam. Also seller advertised as "New, other" with explanation, new with just test run only. But upon close inspection wheels told another story, so I return the loco. As I have quite decent steam collection now I want to focus on desiel locos, I only have few of class 08,  few class 20 (Lima, Hornby) and one class 66.

Anyone can share there thoughts on Class 37 as I have tts decoder so I would like to buy this one first.

The current Hornby class 37 is in the Railroad range and utilises the Lima chassis modified with a can-motor drive bogie.  Gone are the days of the Ringfield-motored version with a metal motor housing, metal non-powered bogie block and a block weight in the central well.  Weight is basically dependent upon the fairly chunky speaker surround in the centre well but there is ample room in the body to add extra.

I missed out on a Bachmann Class 37 which was starting bid at 74.99, I forgot to put a reminder and someone else just placed a bid and got it for that price. I know lots of people talk about Bachmann and Accurascale being quite good (although Hornby is not half bad, just way to light for my liking) but the price is almost triple compared to Hornby. Obviously you get bit more as in details but not worth the extra cost, that's just my opinion. I will keep looking in the mean time.

Thanks @Going Spare and @atom3624. Anyone else have any opinion or they like to share there experienceof class 37?

Edited by Deem

The price of Bachmann & Accurascale 37s is not triple equivalent spec Hornby locos!

They have all wheel drive, twin fly-wheel motor, metal chassis, working lights, lots of separately fitted details.

Also to put prices into perspective, decent condition second-hand Lima 37s can easily sell for as much or more than, brand new Railroad ones. 

Whether models are worth their price is subjective to each individual, however (imho) comparing prices of 37s, is like comparing price of Smokey Joe with a Peckett.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

The price of Bachmann & Accurascale 37s is not triple equivalent spec Hornby locos!

They have all wheel drive, twin fly-wheel motor, metal chassis, working lights, lots of separately fitted details.

Also to put prices into perspective, decent condition second-hand Lima 37s can easily sell for as much or more than, brand new Railroad ones. 

Whether models are worth their price is subjective to each individual, however (imho) comparing prices of 37s, is like comparing price of Smokey Joe with a Peckett.

Thanks @LTSR_NSE for your input.

When one compare brand new prices they will be very different (based on specs, like you mentioned). But when one compare to used one, (my opinion was based on used market), various aspects will need to be taken into account before one feel comfortable buying at a price which one feel is the right price, it maybe higher or lower, compare to, in other person opinion.

• Like 1

I have 3x Bachmann 'previous issue' (not very latest) specification 37's, with directional lights, super-smooth operation, etc., and also one A/S 37.

The A/S is way beyond the others, but did have an issue.  Purchased from an A/S dealer's, or directly - mine was direct from source - mean they have a 'lifetime warranty'.  There is a known 'fault' which happens with some - mine included - faulty motor.  A quick email and some 'discussion' and 2 weeks later, circulating as perfectly as ever - I think postage was covered as well.

The H, B and A Class 37's are built to their markets, and various prices.  Hornby is where I first 'met' a 37 - big brother had one 50 years ago and it ran very well, detailing more-than acceptable for the time.  There are other 37's, like Vitrains as well ....  older but said to be very acceptable quality when in good condition.

Your money, your railway.  Absolutely nothing 'wrong' with the Hornby model for the price and certainly looks like a Class 37.

Hornby are being very shrewd - the 'top level' market's so competitive, it's really not worth their while competing.

If you wish to add lights, just got to Stickswipe on Ebay.

Al.

• Like 2

I am watching few Bachmann one at the moment but I really wanted Accurascale but they are out of my budget at this stage, unless if the price drop of Accurascale, I will be sticking to Bachmann for now.

Some people prefer to add personal touch, either it is, weathering, either lightning, either sound, either different number or name plates. Everyone is fully entitled to how they fit do what ever they like there loco to look like, but I like in original condition, that's just me. Maybe the maximum I will add is sound which is not visible, but rest of the loco I prefer to be as original as possible. That's why I wanted something more heavier, also at the same time, benefit of having directional lighting as well with either Bachmannor Accurascale. That's just me obviously.

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I have 3x Bachmann 'previous issue' (not very latest) specification 37's, with directional lights, super-smooth operation, etc., and also one A/S 37.

The A/S is way beyond the others, but did have an issue.  Purchased from an A/S dealer's, or directly - mine was direct from source - mean they have a 'lifetime warranty'.  There is a known 'fault' which happens with some - mine included - faulty motor.  A quick email and some 'discussion' and 2 weeks later, circulating as perfectly as ever - I think postage was covered as well.

The H, B and A Class 37's are built to their markets, and various prices.  Hornby is where I first 'met' a 37 - big brother had one 50 years ago and it ran very well, detailing more-than acceptable for the time.  There are other 37's, like Vitrains as well ....  older but said to be very acceptable quality when in good condition.

Your money, your railway.  Absolutely nothing 'wrong' with the Hornby model for the price and certainly looks like a Class 37.

Hornby are being very shrewd - the 'top level' market's so competitive, it's really not worth their while competing.

If you wish to add lights, just got to Stickswipe on Ebay.

Al.

Next time you want to try out your Bachmann class 37, maybe you can make a video and share it here for people like me to see it.

I have an earlier Bachmann 37 fitted with sound and an Accurascale 37, also sound fitted. The Accurascale is a more detailed loco but I find the Bachmann acceptable, I'm not a rivet counter, and it cost me less than half of the price of the Accurascale, though that was some years ago. As far as weight goes, the Bachmann comes in at 556 grams, whilst the Accurascale is a more hefty 694 grams, some 25% heavier. Unfortunately, I don't own any Hornby Railroad locos, though I do have some from the standard range. The nearest I have to the 37 is a pair of 31s, which weigh 437 and 467 grams, though of course, they are slightly smaller locos.

@Deem, is there not space in your 37's body to add liquid weight or even some solid weights? 

• Thanks 1

@Deem next time I'm 'playing trains' I'll lift one of the Bachmann 37's out.

The A/S is in storage for now, but shows how their standards have changed.  I had one of the 'Run 1' Deltics, and a beautiful looking model it was, but it kept derailing despite efforts to correct, plus was moulting detailing parts non-stop. 

The 37 shows how their build quality has changed.  Absolutely nothing has broken, fallen off, nothing, and she tracks as true as any locomotive in the 'fleet'.

The Bachmann has no issues either, but just doesn't have the 'spare capacity' the A/S does, which most of the time isn't necessary.

Al.

• Thanks 1