One Year On

Martin-369195

A year ago Sunday, on my birthday, my Scotsman set arrived and for the first time in 45 years, like a big kid, I put the set together and played trains for 10 seconds before the HM7000 chip blew.

I've since acquired a collection of rolling stock but with a house full, nowhere to set up anything permanent. One year on, the kids have flown the nest, and I potentially have three rooms available for a permanent setup.

A year ago I had no tools, skills or anything. My baseboard is my first ever attempt at woodworking. I've been back to B&Q that many times I'm on first name terms with most of the staff!

After a visit to the Stafford MRE last year I was taken up with one particular layout that had custom trackwork and I decided that I'd have a go at that. Here is the result of my fifth attempt with a soldering iron:

image.thumb.jpeg.44f19857d386fdbf943a6a3699dcd2f5.jpeg

This is a 439mm (R5) 30° piece with code 80 flat-bottom rail soldered to copper-clad sleepers, with ply sleepers in between and Hornby fishplates attached.

My first attempt at a turnout was a successful failure where I learned even more and my second attempt is in progress...

Hopefully this post will encourage others to just 'have a go' at something. Believe me: if I can do it, anyone can.

One final thought: I've really appreciated being a member of this forum - you lot are a credit to the scale and the hobby.

Martin

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Very brave indeed! I wouldn’t attempt track. Like you I’m new to this, and it is all a learning curve. Hopefully we all have fun too most of the time. I’ve had frustrations and temper fits, but also moments of extreme relaxation, pleasure and have impressed myself at some of my new skills.

Thanks for your lovely post 

22 hours ago, Martin-369195 said:

I'll need planning permission, @GMD. That's the tricky bit :classic_biggrin:.

I forgot to mention that the total cost of materials for the piece above was seven pence. A turnout - with a bit more rail and a few more sleepers - comes in at eight or nine pence.

Yes, tearing out the walls between the rooms requires the housekeeper's approval 😜 . But then there will be enough space for all kinds of model railway themes, from the main station to the countryside and the harbor 🤩.

I'm going high. N in the smallest room, TT in the middle room and O in the loft. I'm happy to compromise with TT in either the middle room or the loft.

Come on, you don't need that much space for a sewing room, do you? And you don't do much sewing anyway...