Track plan E5

But in saying that, depending on how high you are going - say for any of the Bridges - i.e. Grand Suspension Bridge, Viaduct, Girder Bridge etc etc - then you will need the R658 Inclined Piers - which is a set 7 Piers in different hights to clip on underside of the track!!! You will need 2 sets of theses - 1 set both sides of the bridge I would imagine, or you could get the R 909 Elevated Track Support Set - you just need 1 set of these as it come with supports for both sides!!! Or if it just High Level Piers you Need then it is R659 a pack of 3 - Hope that this helps in some way!!! ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿš‚

I could not find any reference to Hornby Track Plan E5.ย  Hornby Track Plan 5E does exist however.ย  I think this the plan @Mark-1276278is referring to.

large.HornbyPlan5E.jpeg.cd0e7441b74bbd996ed024993fc3823f.jpeg

Track Plan 5E

6 ร— 4 layout.ย  Purple denotes the elevated section.ย  This will include 1st radius curves.ย  ย The inclined planes will be very steep indeed.

As to the "number of sleepers" in the elevated section?ย  I'm not certain what you are after.ย  Sleepers in each piece of set track could be counted.ย 

Would you kindly clarify what you are trying to achieve Mark?

Thanks

Bee

Theย Hornby R 658 Inclined Piersย specify 24 sleepers between each pier or 30 if you want a lower incline. For the high level piers (Hornby R 659 High Level Piers) I have mine at 20 sleepers on the curve and a couple of 15 sleepers where they run over the tramline and roadway.

Edited by Aussie Fred
to make more sense

I have the two sets on incline piers, but Iโ€™m not sure how far to space them out. It is a steep incline, but from memory the only loco of mine which struggled was the Mainline Peak. Not sure how some of the more recent additions to the stable will cope. I might have to resort to magnets.

this will be my first layout in 40 years!

The inclined piers are from the Triang days when locos had magnadhesion and the track was more solid and had a greater rail height (steel & code 150?) making it much stronger.ย  Today's track is much flimsier and doesn't work so well with the inclined piers.

I would give them a miss and use something better able to support an incline firmly and at a gentler slope to allow modern engines to get up the slope.

Edited by Rog RJ

Hi Mark

R604 and R605 are 1st radius curves (371 mm).ย  They are on the track plan you presented.

Almost all modern locomotives and rolling stock are designed to 2nd radius curves (438 mm).ย  Small 0-4-0 locomotives and short wheelbase rolling stock excepted, they will make the curve.

Modern locomotives will likely not make it around that bend, either stalling because the wheels are binding against the track, OR derailing because the wheels do not fit.ย  40 year old locomotives handled 1st radius, today, not so much.

Even if they do, that's a lot of strain.

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee