Titfield Thunderbolt

LCDR

I am a little confused by the Titfield Thunderbolt train pack. The locomotive is 1401, which was the locomotive that was horribly derailed by Harry the Roller Driver, but the carriage is NOT the Wisbech and Upwell tram coach that was also 'wrecked' at

the same time but the substitute DIY carriage constructed on a Lowmac using Driver Sam's home. This muddles up the plot.

Now if Hornby had produced a nice little model of 'Lion' to pull the train I might have been less confused.

Just looked at the item on this website and I wonder what you actually get? The illustration shows a GWR 14XX not the one in the film and a GWR brake van (not a BR(W) liveried one. However the illustration on the box looks right.

This dicrepancy

certainly outs me off ordering one. As an aside I think a resin coach body more akin to the "stagecoach" style one in the film would have been better than the horrible hornby four wheeler - could they have used a Liverpool and Manchester (ex Rocket) coach

body instead?

Having said that it is good to see Hornby commemorating this film - Funny thing is I was actually walking along one of the Streets the stolen loco was driven through lastweek!

Graskie says most kids won't remember the film, I think most current parents won't have heard of it. The film was released in 1953 (I was seven) - and I'm now coming up for sixty six, and my children (now in their late thirties) have never heard of it.

To many it will just be another starter set.

• 3 weeks later...
LC&DR said:

Actually a model of the W&U coach would have made a grand accompaniment to a better scale J70 tram engine (Toby), and would find a home as a proper 'Henrietta' in the Thomas range too.

Missed a trick I think!

Hooray

now I can post again missed three me thinks
proper bogied Henrietta, W&U as was or preserved not sure who has it and the plum and grey Titfield buffet car with the exception of one different interior all from the same molds
regards John

Hi

Only senior's and dyed in the wool certified train nuts will have heard of the movie.

thats me counted twice :-)

I think this is a good idea done very badly most movie trains are after all real trains

painted in different colors for what

ever reason.

So should not be hard to reproduce in much the same way.

This one however needs new moulds made for stock that is not and has not as far as I know been in the Hornby range.

These moulds should have been done the models with colour change,

could also have spread through the Thomas, normal and later railroad ranges as well as the train pack.

Which I won't be buying because its all wrong.

Which is a shame it would have been good to have the train on the layout.

As this movie inspired

me to what I have done with the small space I have avalable.

regards John

Ozwarrior said:

I think sometimes we need to remove the prototypical modellers hat and take things for what they are. I am thinking of getting one and am not at all bothered about such discrepancies. It should sell well. To each his own though.
Regards,
Les

Hi

Ozwarrior
Only one problem with that.
If we do the manufactures will go back to one set of valve gear fits all and other dodgy detailing and painting practices.
They took decades of badgering to get rid of that and get the high class models we have

today.
Mind you not all of the changes where good.
My own opinion {not to be confused with reality ;-)} is now we have good acurate trains lets keep it that way.
regards John

morning all....remember the film and plot....cant recall the rolling stock though....from the posts so far, it sounds as though H have put together a box of bits, with models made from exisiting tooling.......bit of marketing, and hey...bandwagon starting

to roll.......its certainly not for me.......each to his own though..

Being an American, and born after the movie, I only heard of it a year or so ago and bought it on DVD right away. I find it entertaining, and educational, in an interesting way. I am, in no way, a rivit counter, but was excited when I first saw it announced

until I saw how 'wrong' it was. No way would I spend any money on it.

Just been looking at the DVD to try and identify the locos. In the opening credits there are 3 of what I am sure are Kings. The first exiting the tunnel looks like 60?2, Could be 6002 or 6022 the ? figure looks too rounded for a 1. Then I'm almost certain

it's 6004 on the sea front followed by the GWR streamliner King Henry VII (I don't think its the castle as the name plate seems to be made up of three shortish words. There is also a shot of dean Goods 2441. The only other one I can be positive about since

there is a good shot of the locos bufferbeam just before the switch to the model going off the bridge.

How about a limited edition with a loco powered dean standard goods and a few toplights!