8216 decoder

geoffb41

have 10 8216 decoders and all have been working ok but now hitting a run of troubles and have four that won't work and can't program them on the elite.The elite is in standard mode am programming multiple times in reg mode after charging the caps up.

played

with one today and tried programing it on my select to address 60 and 64 and it works fine but then plug it in to the elite and using the same addresses it doesn't work and also returns xxx if i try and read it.

should it work in the elite on the address

put in from the select.

geoff

Try this.

Notes..

1, Precharging the Point Decoder before attempting to programme can cut down the number of programme cycles needed to successfully programme the Point Decoder. To precharge the Point Decoder, simply connect it temporarily to the

main track output of the ELITE for about 7-10 seconds, then disconnect and carry out the programming procedure outlined above.

2, Also, if after precharging, you temporarily connect a 50ohm 5watt resistor between the + (positive) of output port 4 of

the Point Decoder and either of the programme output connections on the ELITE controller you will be able to programme the Point Decoder on the first attempt. The resistor maintains the charge on the internal Point Decoder capacitors as described above.

3, If you have programmed your point address range using a SELECT starting at 60 to 63, you will find that when connecting to an ELITE controller the points will respond to 57-60. i.e. your first point in the group is 57 not 60. This is because, early

SELECTs pre firmware 1.1, allowed 60 to be used as the first number within the first point group. Version 1.1 SELECTs start the point numbering for the first point group as 61-64. This corresponds with the normal NMRA practice..

Archived