Cornishman R1160 DDC Christmas present not working

alexconnell

Hi Guys,

My son got the titled R1160 for Christmas and today we have attempted to put it all together.

I have checked each connection on the track multiple times as has someone else and also the power connectors etc.

I followed the

instructions to the letter but it does not seem to be working at all.

It is set to 03, I have pressed direction buttons and the turned the power dial, I have even reset the DCC to the factory settings and still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My Son is getting restless.

Alex

What a shame and how frustrating. You're probably getting more disappointed than your son!Have you checked to see if power is going to the track? I don't know whether the Pullman coaches with that set are supposed to light up, but that would be a good

test of current, although I have a feeling they might be non-lighting ones. Other possibilies are a short, but your controller should show if that is happening. It's also possible that the decoder isn't working properly, but check in the order suggested before

worrying about that.

Hello... I have an update... There is power going to the track. I have moved to just having a simple oval and am now in a position where the train starts moving on 1/4 of the track. But that is it. It only seems to work anti clockwise and then when it

hits the half way point on the corner or where the power contectors are it stops.

Any other ideas? I was excited until it stopped.

Very frustrating - we have all had days like this with model railways:

Do you have a meter to check the power on the track and from the Select?

Reset the Select again to factory settings

Change the decoder id of the train to something other

than 3.

Unfortunately with the Select you can't reset the decoder of the train to factory settings just in case this has got into a tizzy - if this is the case, you may have to find a model shop that will do this for you or check the loco.

Lastly, keep

isolating it down to just a few straights - will it go forwards/backwards?

Oh, and you could deliberately short the Select by putting a wire across the rails - it should cut out.

I thought I might be attacked by persons better than I for making your last suggestion, steve, but I'm sure we all do it as a very quick check for current. The controllers cut out so there should be no problem doing that as far as I can see. So yes, where

the loco stops put a piece of wire across the track in that place. It might be that there is some disturbance, for instance, with supply from your controller because of, say, loose feeds on slight tipping of the track.

Oh for the days when train sets were just plain old DC, tqake it out of the box and just run it!

If you don't get any joy with the suggestions made I would return it to the shop were it was bought from for a repair, replacement or refund at the

dealers discression. Don't try to mend the model yourself or you will invalidate the warranty.

Hi All,

Put the 2 wires todather and the DCC display flickers and then shows 12 then 30 the back to 03.

The folk trick does nothing... I see that the track is not 100% flush against the metal underneith... When I push it and the use the fork

it then resets again i.e. 12, 13, 03. However if I hold it and confirm there is power going to the length of track the train still does not move.

Is this all due to the track connector do you think or goes it also be something else as well?

Alex

Alex

Are you certain that the rail joiners are properly fitting into the adjoining rail? It's easy for them to go under the rail without you noticing. Put some pieces of straight track together and see if it works on that? Another thing you could do is put

the wires from the controller directly on to the wheels and see if they turn.

SOT and trainlover, what's the difference between a DC set that doesn't work and a DCC set that doesn't work? I had a common or garden DC loco that wouldn't move an inch. Would

you have said I should have bought a DCC loco instead?

It never ceases to amaze me as to why DCC (digital) is considered 'harder' or 'less user friendly' than dc (analogue)??

Both require clean rails and wheel treads.

Both require good connections between controller and track.

Both require the rails

are pushed correctly into their fishplates.

Both require fishplates to be a tight fit onto the abutting rails.

Both require the track to be laid reasonably level and especially so on points and diamond crossing areas.

Both allow one or more locos/trains

to be run (See below for more detail)

Where DCC scores is it normally only needs one 'controller' for the whole multi tracked layout where as dc needs ideally one controller per loop or independently operated line.

dc needs isolating track sections

some controlled by points others via section switches to allow locos to be isolated from the rest that are running. DCC has none!

DCC needs power to all rails. dc only has power to rails where movement is required.

While "Just two wires" is perhaps

not quite true for DCC, it is never the less possible with the aid of Digital point clips! dc requires far more wires.

I am an ex dc user now fully DCC. What would I start off with today if beginning again or recommending a model railway set to someone

else just starting? DCC all the way!

IMO dc v DCC is comparable to like watching a 625 line TV of yesteryear compared to a digital HD 42 inch TV of today!

No special tools are needed to test DCC or dc!

A 12 volt lamp with two wire leads will

show if rail voltage is present on both systems.

A multimeter is better and on DCC switched onto its ac voltage range will give an good indication of the rail volts, but not the true voltage. However, the indicated voltage should be within a volt or two

of the real volts and the reading taken should always be constant all around the layout.

It never ceases to amaze me as to why DCC (digital) is considered 'harder' or 'less user friendly' than dc (analogue)??

Both require clean rails and wheel treads.

Both require good connections between controller and track.

Both require the rails

are pushed correctly into their fishplates.

Both require fishplates to be a tight fit onto the abutting rails.

Both require the track to be laid reasonably level and especially so on points and diamond crossing areas.

Both allow one or more locos/trains

to be run (See below for more detail)

Where DCC scores is it normally only needs one 'controller' for the whole multi tracked layout where as dc needs ideally one controller per loop or independently operated line.

dc needs isolating track sections

some controlled by points others via section switches to allow locos to be isolated from the rest that are running. DCC has none!

DCC needs power to all rails. dc only has power to rails where movement is required.

While "Just two wires" is perhaps

not quite true for DCC, it is never the less possible with the aid of Digital point clips! dc requires far more wires.

I am an ex dc user now fully DCC. What would I start off with today if beginning again or recommending a model railway set to someone

else just starting? DCC all the way!

IMO dc v DCC is comparable to like watching a 625 line TV of yesteryear compared to a digital HD 42 inch TV of today!

No special tools are needed to test DCC or dc!

A 12 volt lamp with two wire leads will

show if rail voltage is present on both systems.

A multimeter is better and on DCC switched onto its ac voltage range will give an good indication of the rail volts, but not the true voltage. However, the indicated voltage should be within a volt or two

of the real volts and the reading taken should always be constant all around the layout.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived