2014?

Jeremiah

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Hornby catches up with the promised items, and then carries out some market research.

Obviously as stated even today by LC&DR, you can't please everybody.

It appears wagon stock has been ignored, the LMS stock could do with an extra coach

or two.

The Southern could do with a buffet/restaurant car, as could the GW.

We could do with another 0-6-0, PP, and LC&DR have suggested numerous types, even though most were not Southern/S&DJR, virtually any of them I would add to my fleet.

4-4-0's,

we have the County, and the 2P is still out there, if you know where to look. Again PP and LC&DR, have suggested options. I have taken the time to look them up, and on the whole, very nice loco's indeed.

The modern traction fans have asked for various items,

no offence guys, but if it's post 1968, in nearly all cases, not interested, but you have your railway needs.

I know for some of my needs I have to go Bluebox, and for coaches even Nightstick, that's why I have said, clear the back log, and do some market

research.

The 2-Bil, it's as if the stock hit the shelve's, and every shop was " Ram Raided " and the thieves made straight for the Bils.

In short, play catch up, do some market research, and if no one asks for a Blood and Custard version of a particular

coach DON'T PRODUCE IT, and in fairness, any other livery that has not been requested.

Provided you don't limit yourself to current Hornby models the Somerset and Dorset in BR days is probably one of the most 'do-able' sections of railway.

Locomotive wise you can find West Country, Battle of Britain, T9, M7, 7F, 22xx, 4F, 3F, 4P,

2P, 5MT (LM & BR), 4MT (BR), 9F, Jinty, 2MT tank, 57xx, 45xx, and a wide variety of visitors. A lot of models even carried S&D allocated numbers.

Coach-wise there are the Maunsell three sets with 4 compartment guards vans, a really typical S&D formation,

loose Maunsell high window stock, various LMS, LNER and GW carriages and if you extend into kits plenty of variety in all four groups, plus mark 1s of course.

The S&D is a really interesting section, and I would expect a lot of modellers to use it as

a basis for their layout.

Although the planned layout will be Southern stations, signals etc, the rolling stock will be prodominately S&D in flavour, now thanks to WTD I will have at least a couple of GW interlopers, Manor and a Hall. That is why I support the need for some pregrouping

GW coaching stock, they just tickle my fancy.

I favour the NER region of Locos too. We are getting a LNER P2 and I have duly ordered the high spec one. A J21 0-6-0 tender engine as there are no small LNER tender engines in the range. A G5 0-4-4T as they were numerous over the NE and one is being built

and a set of matching NE push pull coaches to match. A Q6 0-8-0 tender engine, preserved and a nice addition to the B1 and O1.

The others listed A8 4-6-2T, B16 4-6-0, D20 4-4-0 & K1 2-6-0 would not be sneezed at either.

So my preference are G5, J21

and the Q6. I recently bought a cheap DJH Q7 which I have improved the running of, but its not a Hornby. So that will do till I see a RTR one.

Mark

I favour the NER region of Locos too. We are getting a LNER P2 and I have duly ordered the high spec one. A J21 0-6-0 tender engine as there are no small LNER tender engines in the range. A G5 0-4-4T as they were numerous over the NE and one is being built

and a set of matching NE push pull coaches to match. A Q6 0-8-0 tender engine, preserved and a nice addition to the B1 and O1.

The others listed A8 4-6-2T, B16 4-6-0, D20 4-4-0 & K1 2-6-0 would not be sneezed at either.

So my preference are G5, J21

and the Q6. I recently bought a cheap DJH Q7 which I have improved the running of, but its not a Hornby. So that will do till I see a RTR one.

Mark

I have every sympathy with your wish-list, the NER is well overdue attention from the RTR manufacturers. Not for me of course, but I can fully understand that this is an area that (a) has a large following, and ()b) is of considerable importance in railway

history.

However I think you will have a very long wait if you are expecting Hornby to satisfy your needs, their policy does not appear to support any pre-grouping, unless it can be accommodated on existing Railroad mechanisms, none of which are suitable

for any ex NER types.

You should of course contribute to the poll being run by RMweb, to get your desires into the limelight, but I suspect that it will be the blue box company that does the North Eastern first.

brclass125 said:

I

favour the NER region of Locos too. We are getting a LNER P2 and I have duly ordered the high spec one. A J21 0-6-0 tender engine as there are no small LNER tender engines in the range. A G5 0-4-4T as they were numerous over the NE and one is being built and

a set of matching NE push pull coaches to match. A Q6 0-8-0 tender engine, preserved and a nice addition to the B1 and O1.

So my preference are G5, J21 and

the Q6. I recently bought a cheap DJH Q7 which I have improved the running of, but its not a Hornby. So that will do till I see a RTR one.

Mark

I'd like another run of those ex-Lima Class 37 in Regional Railways livery. They (IMHO) are excellent for standard models and simple detailing projects. I think just adding a better roof grill, horns, window surrounds, buffer beam pipes. etc. would be

more than enough to make it look good enough to run alongside Hornby's other offerings like the 31, 50, 56, 60 and 67. Same goes for the Class 47 and 59. Lima did a good job on those locos. I wouldn't mind the 37 in NR, EWS or Railfreight livery...

I'm

guessing they would sell quite well because the 37 is a well loved loco and it would do well for youngsters.

The LMS crimson princess coronation nether had smoke deflectors as they were fitted in 1945 and onwards so in br days on the main. So only duchess of Sutherland for sure. I think city of birmingham as always been BR red after being preserved . Not to sure

about the duchess of Hamilton if she was ever painted in LMS CRIMSON well being preserved with smoke deflectors someone else might be able to help with that.

More liveries that could be good additions to the D & E range.

- BR Blue 2BIL

- Class 60 # 60 033 in Corus Steel livery

- Class 31 #31 107 in Black livery (will need a modified bit of tooling)

- Class 43 HST in Virgin XC livery

-

Class 08 #08 836 in FGW livery

- Class 56 #56 087 in Colas livery (will need a modified bit of tooling)

- Class 67 #67 029 in Silver DB Schenker livery/Class 67 #67 029 in Silver EWS livery

- Class 67 #67 006 ''Royal Sovereign''

- Class 67 #67

005 ''Queen's Messenger''

Would like to see some Green Bils, before they appear in that awfull blue. Seen them in Green, then in Blue, it's part of me loosing interest in railways. Sorry mate, blue didn't suit the early SR electrics, blue and grey they looked passable.

I'm with you there Mortehoe. The plain blue when applied to EMUs, DMUs and other stock looked dull and uninteresting. The original paint was matt and went dull and dirty very quickly. The stuck on white lettering also looked crude and untidy. In my opinion

it was most definitely the low point in railway history.

mortehoe said:

Would like to see some Green Bils, before they appear in that awfull blue. Seen them in Green, then in Blue, it's part of me loosing interest in railways. Sorry

mate, blue didn't suit the early SR electrics, blue and grey they looked passable.

Hi LC&DR, my love for railways nosed dived when the last " Steamer " pulled out of Waterloo.

I would see 4 Sub's and EPB's every day, with one or two Bils, or Hals. When that awfull Blue took over, it hit rock bottom. When the 4 Subs bowed out, that

was it, when the EPB's appeared in Blue and Grey, I thought they looked better, not as good as Green but hey ho.

Each to ther own, but before the Hornby Bils appear in Blue, LETS HAVE GREEN ONES.

If Hornby do produce a Cor, which they might, since

the Bil went "Viral", if they produce a Blue Cor first HORNBY BETTER WATCH OUT.

My enthusiasm for railways waned when steam vanished from Kent, and like yourself disappeared completely for a LONG time after July 1967. I also learned about girls, rock and roll music and big motorbikes at about this time and it wasn't until one of the

girls tamed me and caused me to settle down did I return to railways, mostly in 7mm and 4mm to foot scale or on 1' 11 1/2 " gauge.

The BR corporate blue was dismal, and I always associated it with all that was bad about the railways in the 1970s and

1980s. Some of the Sector liveries of the late 80s and early 90s were not bad, I particularly liked Scotrail / Provincial, but hated NSE 'toothpaste' stripes. Modern private liveries are a mixed bag, SWT are horrible, gaudy and uncouth, South Eastern are OK-ish

but drab. FCC and other modern First liveries are bad for the eyes, mainly out of focus, but Southern is nearly OK, at least there is some green in it.

The 2Bil in blue will be horrible, and if they ever do a 4Cor likewise. Southern electric stock was

designed to be painted green, and green it should be!

mortehoe said:

Hi LC&DR, my love for railways nosed dived when the last " Steamer " pulled out of Waterloo.

I would see 4 Sub's and EPB's every day, with one or two Bils, or Hals.

When that awfull Blue took over, it hit rock bottom. When the 4 Subs bowed out, that was it, when the EPB's appeared in Blue and Grey, I thought they looked better, not as good as Green but hey ho.

Each to ther own, but before the Hornby Bils appear in

Blue, LETS HAVE GREEN ONES.

If Hornby do produce a Cor, which they might, since the Bil went "Viral", if they produce a Blue Cor first HORNBY BETTER WATCH OUT.

There was a thread asking us what got us into modeling railways, perhaps we could also ask what also turned us off. The demise of steam took a big chunck out of love, then corporate blue didn't help, and when the likes of the Bils, Hals, and Cors went,

that was it.

Although I didn't like the blue, if we were graced with a Bil or a Hal on the Chessington branch, I would always stand and watch her move out of sight, even with wish full thinking, I knew, one day I would get my last look.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some outlandish suggestions:

Class 458 (before they're all butchered into 458/5s)

Class 444

Class 180/185

1996, 1973, A and S Stock for London Underground

Now for some more realistic ones:

Electrostar units particularly class

377/378 (personal preference but all others are equally welcome)

Improved class 91 and mk4 coaches

More HST liveries

Class 89?

I think steam is fairly well covered as I can't think of anything I want but its mainly AC electrics and EMUs that

need better coverage

Sorry, I cannot agree that steam is "fairly well covered". There are hundreds of classes never even considered, and areas like the North East and Scotland hardly even touched. Actually diesel has really been 'done to death' as there are hardly any classes

that have not been modelled but one of the three manufacturers including experimental and one off types.

OK there is a bit to do electric locomotive and multiple unit wise, but it is better than it was a few years ago.

LC&DR said:

Sorry, I cannot agree that steam is "fairly well covered". There are hundreds of classes never even considered, and areas like the North East and Scotland hardly even touched. Actually diesel has really been 'done to death' as

there are hardly any classes that have not been modelled but one of the three manufacturers including experimental and one off types.

OK there is a bit to do electric locomotive and multiple unit wise, but it is better than it was a few years ago.

Well,

I wrote it late at night and nothing leaped to mind however as soon as I posted it Murphy's Law dictated that I thought of some. So here is a couple for your perusal. G5, LNER 4-6-2 tanks, D40 to name but a few

LC&DR said:

Sorry, I cannot agree that steam is "fairly well covered". There are hundreds of classes never even considered, and areas like the North East and Scotland hardly even touched. Actually diesel has really been 'done to death' as

there are hardly any classes that have not been modelled but one of the three manufacturers including experimental and one off types.

Well,

I wrote it late at night and nothing leaped to mind however as soon as I posted it Murphy's Law dictated that I thought of some. So here is a couple for your perusal. G5, LNER 4-6-2 tanks, D40 to name but a few

chufferd said:

LC&DR said:

Sorry, I cannot agree that steam is "fairly well covered". There are hundreds of classes never even considered, and areas like the North East and Scotland hardly even touched. Actually diesel has really been

'done to death' as there are hardly any classes that have not been modelled but one of the three manufacturers including experimental and one off types.

OK there is a bit to do electric locomotive and multiple unit wise, but it is better than it was

a few years ago.

Well, I wrote it late at night and nothing leaped to mind however as soon as I posted it Murphy's Law dictated that I thought of some. So here is a couple for your perusal. G5, LNER 4-6-2 tanks, D40 to name but a few

Postman

Prat would be proud of you!

Archived