2014?

Jeremiah

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chufferd said:

Here are some outlandish suggestions:
Class 458 (before they're all butchered into 458/5s)
Class 444
Class 180/185
1996, 1973, A and S Stock for London Underground

Now for some more realistic ones:
Electrostar

units particularly class 377/378 (personal preference but all others are equally welcome)
Improved class 91 and mk4 coaches
More HST liveries
Class 89?

The Class 86, Class 87, Class 90 and Class 91 are also left out. Heljan

didn't do a good job with their 86. Hornby has indeed neglected AC electrics and EMUs. Buyers wouldn't neglect AC locos and EMUs if OHE/3rd rail components were easily available and easy to set up.

• 2 weeks later...
Having trying to think what I would be happy with how about a Fowler 2-6-2t 3p push pull and just because I like them but don't know how useful it would be a SR paddle box which I would have to have one even if I have nothing to go with it.

fazy said:

Put me down for a BR one and a LSWR one too
When you said SR, I thought you meant the Maunsell one, so in that case I'll have three. LSWR. Maunsell improved, Olive green, and war time black.
Before LC&DR gives me a

wrap across the knuckles, for liking yet another poor performer, I just like them. If I can be allowed to partially para phrase an old advert " They're pretty in an ugly sort of way ".

mortehoe said:

fazy said:

Put me down for a BR one and a LSWR one too When you said SR, I thought you meant the Maunsell one, so in that case I'll have three. LSWR. Maunsell improved, Olive green, and war time black.
Before LC&DR

gives me a wrap across the knuckles, for liking yet another poor performer, I just like them. If I can be allowed to partially para phrase an old advert " They're pretty in an ugly sort of way ".

I think it's pretty in a victoren industrial

way and would look good on anyone's layout. As for a poor performance well that dose not really make a difference in models. Just look what's made or wanted DoG the W1 The LNER and LMS garats the fowler 2-6-2s where not to good let down badly by the short

travel valves unlike the 2-6-4.

When the first " Paddlebox" stood at Waterloo at the front of a train, for the first time, it must have made an impressive site. The B&W prints don't do the livery any justice. Poor performers or not, I agree they would look good on any layout.

Knuckles are quite safe, although the 26 different Drummond 4-6-0s could not be said to be the epitome of locomotive design, they did have an ugly charm. The T14 or 'Paddleboxes' were the final design, and 10 were actually constructed in 1912, and all

were rebuilt by Maunsell by 1931. They soldiered on during WW2 only to all being withdrawn by 1951. Only two were given BR livery, and that was in unlined black with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, however in SR and BR livery they looked very different to

what they did in LSWR days.

As to whether there will ever be RTR model --- I very much doubt it.

mortehoe said:

fazy said:

Put me down for a BR one and a LSWR one too When you said SR, I thought you meant the

Maunsell one, so in that case I'll have three. LSWR. Maunsell improved, Olive green, and war time black.

Before LC&DR gives me a wrap across the knuckles, for liking yet another poor performer, I just like them. If I can be allowed to partially para phrase

an old advert " They're pretty in an ugly sort of way ".

Looks like I'll be scratch building one then I already have the drawings and was hoping Hornby would save me the work. I'LL let them of if they do the fowler 2-6-2 for me instead, i'd say that's fair

• 3 weeks later...

We are now close to half way through 2013, and the new products are gradually coming through, I get regular updates from that lovely shop near Penny Lane.

So what shall we get in 2014?

We have had a big LNER tank engine (L1), and GWR tank

engines (42xx/72xx) lately, but nothing for the LMS although the big Stanier and Fowler tanks have been about for a while, so maybe the Fowler 2-6-2T mentioned above is not such a daft idea. But maybe it is time for a big Southern one. One that does come to

mind is the Maunsell 'W' 2-6-4T, and with a bit of 'Design Clever' it could Morph into a Metropolitan 'K' class too. Klling two birds with one stone.

An LB&SCR I3 4-4-2T might also add some Southern interest. This class was popular in pre-War 'O' gauge

and was a staple product of the old Leeds MC . I believe the Adams Radial has come up high in recent wish list polls too.

I still hold that the original Merchant Navy should be fairly easy for Hornby to make, using much of the chassis tooling from the

rebuild, and the LMS 'Turbomotive' for those who like 'one offs' using Princess parts. These would be in line with Hornby's obsession with big engines.

So it could be an interesting New Year to come.

Hi LC&DR & Mortehoe

to go off topic, but not off track for both of you go to

LNER Forum/Model Railways/Atlantic Works

The last few pages show an unusual Bulleid locomotive.

Go back earlier and you will see how to produce

Thompson Pacifics from Gresleys. Very interesting!!!

I would very much like to see an up to date model of Rocket (and its coaches). A far more significant model in railway history than Flying Scotsman. And if we could have all the locos that competed at Rainhill we could build some nice cameos. Wonder if

a Rainhill Trials set would sell well (plus making the engines available individually of course).

This has been discussed some time ago, but I think there are new people on the forum, so it wouldn't hurt to raise it again.

There is much to commend such a series, as a novelty set, as a contribution to a serious attempt at a layout based on early

railways, and as a addition to a heritage railway based layout. The replicas have certainly visited heritage lines on gala events.

'Rocket' was made before by Tri-ang but not the others, ('Sans Pareil' and 'Novelty') also the only carriages made last

time were the first class fully enclosed ones, and so the third opens and second semi-opens would be a good idea. It might also be a good idea to add 'Northumbrian' and 'Planet' to the range as well.

It is probably too much to hope for some fish-belly

rail to run on.

I support the idea.

rayarpino said:

I would very much like to see an up to date model of Rocket (and its coaches). A far more significant model in railway history than Flying Scotsman. And if we could have

all the locos that competed at Rainhill we could build some nice cameos. Wonder if a Rainhill Trials set would sell well (plus making the engines available individually of course).

How About Jumping Into The Irish Market, Now That Lima Has Gone Bust & It Rumored That Hornby Own The Moulds & To My Knowledge Hornby Have Never Released A Locomotive From The Irish Market.

Unfortunately OO scale is even more inaccurate for models of the Irish Railways than it is for UK. OO track gauge is 16.5mm which at 4mm to 1 foot scale equates to 4 foot 1.5 inches. For UK standard gauge 4 foot 8.5 inches this is too narrow by 7 inches.

The correct track width for UK standard gauge at 4mm scale is 18.83mm.

Irish railways (Eire and Ulster) were laid to 5 foot 3 inches gauge which at 4mm to 1 foot scale should have a scale track gauge of 21mm, which is 4.5mm wider than OO scale track.

So OO is too narrow by a scale 1 foot 1.5 inches!

The difference is less in HO scale (3.5mm to 1 foot) but to be correct, HO scale Irish stock needs to run on 18.375mm gauge track (or neatly EM) to be strictly accurate.

Archived