Consulting the Oracle

poliss

Hi Poliss

Funny you should mention this as it's a current item in the forum on the LNER Encyclopedia. Loco was 1625, 14th of June and the loco ended up on its side, under armed guard! It's been on that forum for a couple of days but nothing

else has been posted yet.

It's on that forum under LNER Discussions if you want to keep an eye on it. I'll try to keep you posted.

I saw the question on the NRM Facebook page. It will be from the same chap. The only thing I could find was a reference to the accident happening on the 15th, not the 14th. He missed it because it was headed under Darlington, not Croft Spa.

Postman Prat said:

Hi Poliss

Funny you should mention this as it's a current item in the forum on the LNER Encyclopedia. Loco was 1625, 14th of June and the loco ended up on its side, under armed guard! It's been on that forum

for a couple of days but nothing else has been posted yet.

It's on that forum under LNER Discussions if you want to keep an eye on it. I'll try to keep you posted.

High PP, I know this puts it during WWI, any reason for the armed guard

?, or was this
SOP ?

Remember too that at about that time the IRA was particularly active, seeing WW1 as a good cover for their terrorist activities.

There was also some serious industrial unrest, and some extreme communist worker's groups and anarchists were committing

atrocities under this cloak especially against industrial capitalist targets. The railways were regarded as amongst some of the worst capitalists of the time.

A couple of dates - 24/04/1916 the Easter Rising in Dublin, 08/03/1917 Russian revolution

begins.

LC&DR said:

Remember too that at about that time the IRA was particularly active, seeing WW1 as a good cover for their terrorist activities.

There was also some serious industrial unrest, and some extreme communist worker's groups

and anarchists were committing atrocities under this cloak especially against industrial capitalist targets. The railways were regarded as amongst some of the worst capitalists of the time.

A couple of dates - 24/04/1916 the Easter Rising in Dublin,

08/03/1917 Russian revolution begins.
Good point LC&DR, the only WWI pictures of armed guards near a train ( Western Front not included ) are from the Emerald Isle.

Archived