Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

1. A Hornby "Queen Elizabeth ll 80" 0F Pug Saddle Tank locomotive

2. 2 Hornby stone wagons

3. A Bachmann flat wagon

4. A Hornby "Roberts Wakefield" self-emptying coal wagon

5. A generic brake van 

6. A Hornby 900 Power Control

All of these run very well, and the controller is much better than my previous one, the R921.

Just received a 'previous tooling / late' BR rail blue Bachmann Class 40.

Very latest has improved - directional lighting, 21-pin DCC socket, etc, but I'm not paying that price and the 40's seem to be very popular at the moment.

Al.

Well, this locomotive is quite an interesting beastie!!

It has 2 8-wheeled bogies, which in real life each would have 6 wheels powered - the Bachmann only has 4 wheels on each for obvious cost / convenience - but it works very well indeed.

Not knowing when it was last done, I opened it all up, and did a general clean and lube service.

To permit better access for greasing the gears, I separated the cast metal chassis part from the plastic main chassis plate - standard Bachmann production and routine - trying to be careful that the driveshafts remained in their motor drive cups ... they didn't!!  15 minute job became a 30 minute one, with some cursing in-between, but fully resolved and lubricated - runs brilliantly, and no less than expected, having had 'a green one' before.

One thing I was curious about, was how simple the general design of the chassis is - it only has 2 wheels on each bogie actually collecting current - with wipers - 4 in total.

Being the size it is, this is no issue, being such a long beastie, it'll negotiate any poorly laid / designed dead-spotted pointwork with ease, and does.

Al.

Photos have been posted.

There have been a few of 'my model' on sale lately.

The model is 8-pin DCC - came with decoder so I've blanked for now.

The chassis has been uprated since 'mine' by Bachmann - full lights - mine doesn't have unfortunately - and 21-pin.

I can easily 'play with installing' available light kits - plenty around, and am musing it for now.

Didn't want to pay £160 for the new one, so £90 was more than adequate I thought - just wanted a '40'.

Al.

It and the other recent 2x 8-wheeled-bogie acquisition, the 32-651A Whernside are running like a dream ... he says.

I have weathered the 40 relatively lightly, and added more detailing at both ends - the narrow NEM-style coupling simply slot into the bogies still permitting detailing to be fitted at the 'No.2 end' which is a nice bonus.

'Time to go home' as somebody once said, if that's not too racist, can't be too careful these days ... !!

Al.

Goes as well as it looks!

Detailing and discs added, plus a little 'weathering'.

I've also fitted cab lighting now.

I've chosen not to fit a bridge rectifier, so the cab lighting is directional - looks good, if not exactly prototypical.

Al.

I've put the discs on the 40 - #1 / driven end has 2x whites / Express Passenger and the others filled with folded yellows.

The #2 end I've still fitted with the folded yellows anyway - looks fantastic just having them fitted.

It may not have factory directional lights, it may not be 12- or 16-wheel-drive, it may only have 4 wheels which pick-up current, but I would say this is a 'must have' locomotive ....

Moving on, and on the English Electric / blue B.R. post TOPS front, I located a well-priced very late model Bachmann 32-788 (their model reference).

Photos below, so may take a while to show.

/media/tinymce_upload/b3c7c39fecd7505eb7d85563307f907d.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/434da65865572baea96c2109cde78681.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/9cbde2c83c01e02506f82c0e39620e6c.jpg

I honestly cannot see much room where Accurascale can improve on this!!

Al.

Just received a more-recent model of the 40's little brother, the 37, post TOPS BR blue - Bachmann again.

The detailing is superb - can't see how Accurascale's going to improve that much on this - perhaps beneath-body and bogie detailing.

Al.

According to those who know, the window profiles on the Bachmann 37 are out slightly, the bogies are too wide .... I'd never know - looks fantastic.

I've got an A/S 37 ordered, which may arrive around Christmas time apparently, so it'll be interesting to compare the 2.

Al.

To complete my recent 'English Electric' purchases, I've got myself a Deltic - one of the now-preserved ones.

I thought the livery 'a bit Marmite', with the white windows, but it does stand out, which a 'really quite special'locomotive like a Deltic should!!

Doghouse again - getting used to it now!!

/media/tinymce_upload/e444d789043cc78a0df02a370fdc463f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/30cfdf5772ecdf128e9409591af8c3d0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1793d71cd1ac0521838690182bbd6717.jpg

Al.

Just received a pair of Fox's etched plates for the Deltic - photos still pending - Tulyar.

I've another Bachmann, a 4MT Mogul I stuffed, damaging the sort-of ECU - where the DCC chip / blanking plug plug into - a few months back - lockdown time.

Choices are to send to Bachmann to review, replace, etc. ... generally quite fairly priced but wouldn't be that cheap I would guess - not much change from £25-30 - or locate a chassis.

I 'won' an A1 chassis with very similar control unit, which I'll try and solder up over the next few days - wish me luck!!

Should be OK I think, but looking at the A1 one, there are slight differences.

Motor appears the same.

Al.

Bonsoir à toutes et tous.

J'ai découvert les modèles HORNBY il y a 1 an et je viens de rejoindre ce forum.

Je possède 5 locomotives et quelques wagons et voitures.

Je vais donc vous les présenter.

Voici la première locomotive:

img_2433.jpg

img_2431.jpg

En fait, j'avais commandé celle-ci:

img_2458.jpg

img_2456.jpg

Mais ils se sont trompés de n° de référence.

Je pouvais renvoyer la mauvaise locomotive à leurs frais, mais je l'ai trouvée très belle, alors je l'ai gardée.

Je vous présenterai le reste plus tard.

Bonne soirée et bon week-end.