Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

• 2 weeks later...

This year I had quite a special birthday... A trip back home to the UK resulted in 3 OO gauge models.

ViTrains InterCity Class 47 844 "Derby & Derbyshire Chamber of Commerce & Industry"

/media/tinymce_upload/a2f05f1404d5c57771260232cdc5c4d3.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a1bd3118c464a9e82c45f043fc080a8e.jpg

Hornby Virgin Trains Class 87 019 "Sir Winston Churchill

/media/tinymce_upload/4ce9550d94d8c3f33d92055cb08dc34c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/065759d98fd21404d74155dcc482f6ba.jpg

Hornby Virgin Trains Class 86 236 "Josiah Wedgewood"

/media/tinymce_upload/2ec7e19e436d6c22b71a7965b7d0e9ad.jpg

A couple of bonus pictures...

/media/tinymce_upload/75f03a5d875ddef060660512f7fcf88a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6259a0e3760ec40ec443f9f83a4d2e5c.jpg

I'm absolutely thrilled with the latest additions. The Class 87 was a birthday gift from dad, the Class 86 was a gift from Tim (a client of mine) and the Class 47 was a treat for myself!

The absolute wealth of detailing parts for the ViTrains Class 47 is just staggering, it takes a somewhat plain base locomotive, to a highly detailed one.

The Hornby Class 87 is equally stunning and is now my favourite OO gauge model.

The Hornby Class 86, desipite is age is still so good, I wish Hornby produced a few more. They updated the tooling in 2012 and released a Freightliner Powerhaul Class 86, but since then it's been dormant. I plan to detail my model and bring it upto today's standards with profiled wheels, detailed underframe, detailed roof, flush glazing and a scale pantograph.

Just a small item from Handsignalman. (I love gadgets !) This is a MiniSMD/LED Controller which allows dimming,, pulse, strobe and speed of flash from a 2.5 inch little item. I will probably use it to simulate slow flickering (i.e. pulse ) in several buildings. Good value and inexpensive, complete with instructions.

Managed to carefully remove the plug for the DCC 'TTS' chip, fit a blanking plate, and heat shrink the plug, then wrap further.

Observation from 'Sam' was the tender's a little light, which I didn't find cf some others, but after some heavy insulation, I weighed it down a little more - 'coal' load is quite high.

It runs very will - tested before I 'touched' it, and after I started modifying.

Instructions aren't that clear with some of the accessories, so not rushing this one!

Figuring out the front plumbing isn't that clear, but loads of 1:1 and 'detailed model' photos available for reference.

Al.

Brought some DCC concepts Point motors and Ground signals for the layout may not /media/tinymce_upload/7b9a7bbf05e028813f88b3b8633f8789.jpgbe visible but all fitted and working. And a good old Hornby class 101 ticking over at rothley.

Just arrived, eight Peco chassis kits for mineral wagons plus wheels, 7mm to 1 foot scale, which will form the basis of a rake of chalk tippler wagons, after we have entertained the grand kids this week end and I can get the Conservatory table back for it proper use as a work-bench!

@ Atom :- Hiya - You've said that you got the "Duke" well I got him a few yrs ago now - Just to say that I also have the "Duke" but got him from as a "Train Set" called "Gloucester city Pullman" (R1177) which is sadly no longer available...From the Hornby Web site :( It came 3 Pullman Carriages, track, a siding, buffer, controller & the same detail bag!!! Here is my link Review of it if you want to see :-

Thank you :)

A few photos of 'The Duke'.

Runs great 'de-chipped' - but still ready to be chipped again - just tape and heatshrink around the plug, still in situ.

All of 'the bits' have been fitted, and there's a crew inside as well!!

/media/tinymce_upload/638f477d3b7be0ca7c915f99c089e755.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e4420aaccde107ff88d6cefaafddb552.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/631ed70caa0764f381ad1a034f14d433.jpg

Al.

Final note on the DoG.

I noticed a couple of 'dark marks' on the 'wire handrails'.

Seems that the obvious would be to fit s/steel wire handrails - being bright and unlikely to tarnish much in it's lifetime.

Did they?

NO!!

Plastic 'wire' is used, which is silver painted!!

Weird!!

Al.

This was an unexpected find today and at a bargain price too! This is the best condition I have seen one of these locos in. A shame the spring and drive cog are missing but I have some Tri-ang versions with working mechanisms that can be swapped over. I won’t say what the make is.....just that Tri-ang bought the equipment to make them and I think it was the only metal bodied loco they ever made. Main difference looking at one of my later ones is the rear coupling. /media/tinymce_upload/b8d09952570e902146046eb809483827.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/ef0770ea094d38052608740ca1832dc6.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/be6acd08abe9dee65bb3172bbcb784b0.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/4230f1f6b7a258c9df7e5c34b722e022.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/5793ad615a9f11506026b61c1f339500.jpg

Just received a weathered Bachmann Class 25/2 yesterday.

Seller stated it was 21-pin and DCC was mentioned - not clear in the description whether it was or not, but was a late 'ice cube' box model.

I also received a bag of 21-pin blanking plates - idea is 'future proofing' for when 'the inevitable' happens and I go digital ...

Turns out, not only was it DCC, but it was DCC / Sound. Speaker had been mounted with blue-tak where the fan had been removed - fan and screws included.

Easily enough removed, blanking plate fitted, and ran nicely straight out of the box - little coaxing required, that's all.

Directional lighting works perfectly as well - so it is a late model.

Very pleased - precisely the type of locmotive I remember in 'my teenage years' growing up in the 70's.

Al.

LC&DR, the Trackmaster model is more or less scale length unlike the short Hornby Dublo one. The Gaiety version seems to have been a copy of the Dublo one and even used the Dublo LMS number with a 4 in front to represent a BR loco. The number was cast onto the body. I have posted some photos of a 3 rail Gaiety chassis on here in the past. I had only got rid of a body a short time before!

Interestingly the chap in the model shop I found it in had never heard of Trackmaster. 

My Class 25/2.

Weathered from the factory - reasonable job - only oversight is the 'wipe area' for the wipers - would have made it that bit beter, but good enough.

/media/tinymce_upload/fecf580b9829e7693d670dcf10bc0ac7.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6e278707677989d66d20fa1765afd097.jpg

Al.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have been thinking about it for quite a long time, and when Hattons were offering the Hornby model of  "Sir William A Stanier FRS"  at a discount my resistance collapsed, and I bought one! 

It has to be my favourite non-Southern locomotive, and I do rather like the Ivatt version so it now has joined my fleet. 

I might have also been tempted by Hornby's "Walter K Wigham", but it is currently offered in blue/purple and I can only remember this one in green, so it will have to wait.