Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

My latest acquisition is a second hand [via the 'Bay] Bachman as built Royal Scot 6134 The Cheshire Regiment, in post war LMS Black. Whilst I prefer most things LNER/Eastern, this is an exception as my Great Grandfather served in the Cheshires' in the Great War being killed in action in 1916. The hows and whys of how he ended up in the Cheshire Regiment rather than one of the North East Regiments of the Durham Light Infantry or Northumberland Fusiliers I don't honestly know. Like oh so many it appears that he'd volunteered in 1914, could be a case of being sent to what ever Regimented needed the men.......... Now a need a short rake of LMS carriages for her.

Sounds good.

I still haven't convinced myself which I prefer - original or rebuilt.

Love my Hornby rebuilt 46100, but would have preferred her with that detailing in Crimson Lake as I remembered her at Bressingham in the 70's - with or without the bell!!

Nice purchase.

Al.

'My Great Grandfather served in the Cheshires' in the Great War being killed in action in 1916. The hows and whys of how he ended up in the Cheshire Regiment rather than one of the North East Regiments of the Durham Light Infantry or Northumberland Fusiliers I don't honestly know. Like oh so many it appears that he'd volunteered in 1914, could be a case of being sent to what ever Regimented needed the men'.

A great-grandfather to be very proud of. A friend from Liverpool volunteered at the age of 18, in 1943, for the King's Regiment, his local outfit. Instead, he was sent to the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment), whose need was judged to be greater, so you're probably right about his posting to the Cheshires.

• 2 weeks later...

I am reducing my spending on trains now that I am retired, but have just bought the following:

4 Oxford carflats, a Block Signalling CDU and a ground lever frames plastic kit.  

I do have an issue with the carflats as my layout only accomodates 6 bogie caches plus loco in the loops, so I doubt if 2 BR MK 1's and 4 carflats would look right really, but we shall see and may try 3 Mk1s plus 5 carflats and restrict where the train runs.     

Just acquired those two lovely green mess couches for a tamping machine,  from the yellow 'H'.

Can't wait to see them on a p way train.

I hope they're "Lazy Boy"  couches as the staff will need comfy seats to sit on, whilst tamping 😳!  I'm being strictly light hearted there D Line...... 😉

Linking into my previous post about acquire an LMS Royal Scot. I've followed up with 3 [so far] Mainline era 1  LMS periods as the Scot is in era 3 post war livery. But Hey it's my layout so my take and they look better together in my opinnion....... I've an eye on some possible Stanier stock too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased a good-used new-type (metal bodied) Hornby B12 BR from Rails - some apparently minor repairs are required - steps to re-glue and that's it .... we'll see.

This retooled B12 has been in my sights for a while - just waiting for the right opportunity ...

I'll update when able.

Al.

Just purchased a Lima Class 47 (Commonwealth Spirit) from an Antiques arcade for £30. Not sure how this compares to other shops but it seems cheaper than most buy-it-nows on eBay and no postage to pay.

Unfortunately I haven't tested it yet but if it fails to work I do have a spare virtually unused 47 class bogie kicking around. Sadly I've just used the last of my hard wired chips so it will have to wait until next month before DCC conversion.

On the subject of 47s I saw one yesterday (I think) at Reading which looked as if it was in something similar to the GWR 150 livery rather than the modern GWR. Any idea which one this could be (Two word name) alternatively could it be a 57?

Selling on my old B17/4 tender driven 61663 Everton and have just received my loco-driven 61669 B17/6 Barnsley, from which I'm going to 'create' a B17/6 61663 Everton.

I've already received the nameplates - splashers and smokebox door - and am awaiting numerals - only need to change 61669 to 61663.

According to the fountain of knowledge that is Wikipaedia, 61669 was rebuilt into a B17/6 anyway - perhaps not. Perhaps Hornby was right about it being a B17/4?

Not bothered anyway.

Won from Ebay at a pretty reasonable price - brand new.

Splasher plates are already loosened in readiness.

Lovely little model.

I'll have her lubed up, nuts checked, etc., Pb added where able - especially tender as well - should be nearly half the weight of the locomotive, not 20% !!

One interesting point was raised in Sam's Trains' review, with 2 insulation washers effectively lifting the front drivers off the rails!

He's not far wrong, and I cannot lift the bogie even slightly when on a flat surface, so may remove one of the washers as Sam had to ensure complete traction.

Barnsley nameplates already removed - easy peasy ... the cab will require a lot of care - fortunately it's only the last number - 61669 to 61663

Al.

Bought a lovely boxed first issue Caledonian single, via the trade from a friend who has a shop in Norfolk.  It's yellowed a bit one side, bit of lining missing, but is a cracking early example in v.good boxes with dealer sheet, instructions and crew in it's packed.  Looks like it hasn't run much since nee, a light clean and service and off to my shop cabinets she goes.

Bought a lovely boxed first issue Caledonian single, via the trade from a friend who has a shop in Norfolk.  It's yellowed a bit one side, bit of lining missing, but is a cracking early example in v.good boxes with dealer sheet, instructions and crew in it's packed.  Looks like it hasn't run much since nee, a light clean and service and off to my shop cabinets she goes.

I put a post on the what's on your workbench yesterday relating to a box of Tri-ang 'Junk' I'd got off eBay. I got all the locos working without much problem but hadn't taken much notice as at first glance I thought they were nothing special apart from the loco I'd bought for the motor. On closer inspection what I'd thought was a bog standard Nellie turned out to be a Blue No6 Connie with one of the nameplates still in place. It's one of the very early ones with solid wheels but one I didn't have so rather than pass it on it's now on display. Very happy.

My first two standard electric locos were second hand Polly and a red dock shunter. I did have one of the starter sets earlier with the blue continental tank and two yellow coaches But the crown gear on the axle stripped on that and spares weren't available.

I have just been running the blue Connie again and despite it being well over 50 years old it's running like a new one. All I did was clean the wheels and lubricate the motor and chassis. There isn't much left on the brushes but they are working for the time being. Just shows how well designed the chassis was for these And other contemporary locos, especially with the X04 motor.