Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Looks nice in grey.

Just did what I shouldn't - had a little browse of 'that auction site' and found one of my childhood realscale favourites - a Class 40 which needs a little cautious work to make perfect.

I made an offer, and it was instantly accepted.

It was a reasonable amount under the base asking price, but an agreement so soon sort of puts you off, thinking 'perhaps I should have tried for more'.

Nevertheless, my 2nd Bachmann Class 40 will be winging its way to me very shortly.

Al.

Just 'won' a newer-generation, factory weathered Bachmann Class 40 - directional lights, 12WD, for a good price.

Good price mainly through an inherent fault - 2 of the 21 pins for decoder / blank were bent, so non-operational.

Part of my 'childhood' these locomotives, so held in high regard, and an excellent model.

Al.

Just brought two more Lima Class 87 with working pantographs

87005 City of London in BR Blue

87018 Lord Nelson in Intercity Livery, think that will do me for now

I will have to work out what coaches and other modern rolling stock I will need to add to what I have got to make up a few realistic passenger and fright trains

I've been trying to expand my fleet of East Anglian steam era locos for a while, but I have been looking for something a bit more unusual, so I occasionally searched online for some kit-built models that aren't available ready to run. It turns out they are just like buses - you wait ages then several come along all at once. Kit-built models can be very expensive, especially for rarer classes that are not available ready to run, but these all came in at well under £100 each. First up, a Bec J17 0-6-0 tender loco. It had a poor triang jinty chassis, so I am in the process of replacing it with a newer Railroad Jinty chassis plus fitting pick-ups to the tender.

forum_image_60feeec41754c.thumb.png.d3d036f6ded55466bcf8aad58a282a1a.png

A second J17, also by Bec, and also with a Triang Jinty chassis, but this one seems to be able to go through more modern pointwork, and also has tender pick-ups attached.

forum_image_60fefa0a3d7f4.thumb.png.475b61347dc9c1ee4d98a280bcce4620.png

I may leave it in LNER livery to give me a choice of time periods.

The 3rd of my new kit built acquisitions is a McGowan models J20 0-6-0. This is a monster of an engine and towers over a Hornby J15 by comparison The real thing was classified as a 5F, and only a little less powerful than the Southern Q1. The model is very heavy and can probably outhaul any of my Hornby steam engines. It has an unusually long wheelbase for an 0-6-0, so the model has unflanged centre driving wheels. This means it only has pick up on the front and rear driving wheels, and I am again looking to add tender pick-ups somehow, though it will need new tender wheels as the current ones are plastic.

forum_image_60ffce02b3c25.thumb.png.1cab3c6ae6654cc6162317239410819a.png

With a J15 for comparison:

forum_image_60ffce085733b.png.fedd39c896eea534ac953016e427512a.png

Finally, my most recent purchase is an LNER F4 2-4-2 in mainly etched brass, which has been very well made and beautifully lined in LNER passenger black. The chassis seems run quite smoothly, but only has pick-ups on the four driving wheels, so I am looking to add extra pick-ups to the non-driven wheels. It also needs couplings front and rear.

forum_image_61000f204d6ae.thumb.png.10f95a339cfe2e56c7acdcd8007c174c.png

Just got my hands on two of Hornby's new 4 wheel coaches, and I am very impressed. I got R40106 and R40103, the GNR ones with lights. Strangely the website still has them as not in stock, but they were on the shelf in a local model shop so I bought them in the moment.

I still intend to get some of the Hattons ones, but for now the Hornby ones are incredible. Probably my new favourite items of rolling stock. Only quibble is that if I run them with older locos, the lights flick on and off randomly.

Although GNR coaches, they look great running behind my Terrier and Dean Goods amongst others, so would recommend these teaks for anyone, not just GNR modellers.

I've only had chance to run it with a pannier tank so far, must be early 80s I think. I presumed it would be something like the motor magnet, not a big issue though as I don't have many working older locos and those that I do have aren't likely to be pulling the 4 wheel teaks (King, class 25, 37 and a few panniers amongst others) I only hooked them up to the pannier to test them, just thought I'd mention it as something to consider in case anyone else was intending to run them specifically with a loco like that.

Two chaldron waggon kits From Smallbrook Studio to go with Rocket train.

The kit comes with Backmann couplings and dapol wheels but ii used my own magnetic couplings and some open spoke wheels I had. The only problem I had is the kit has no bearings for the wheels and the friction of the axles running on the plastic is to great for the rocket to pull more than two wagons so I will have to make proper bearings.

forum_image_610703a22bc87.thumb.png.27a4422a07b59a23c4484999bd1ee76a.pngforum_image_610703a7ea671.thumb.png.d8e84da056077fd4d1de27b5cc1b320f.pngforum_image_610703adba6fb.thumb.png.aae2b8b6f08d951cfbeb54a9144089b4.png

Hornby R2562 "Britannia" 70000 - I should have bought this when it was released by Hornby as long ago as 2006 (it would have been cheaper!). It has been on my "wishlist" for sometime, and last week this one appeared on the "auction" site. It has now been added to the collection. All in good order, box in first class condition, and came with all parts (including coal). I'll get some etched name plates for it.

forum_image_6107c7dc2dab8.thumb.png.6a1b7fbd5e9d96fe88422ecedcdea009.png

Well 35024 blue 'air-smoothed' Merchant Navy has arrived!!

What a beauty - all pickups work fine - 9V battery test.

Only problem is 3 of the 4 contact points for the brake rigging on one side are broken - that's a simple fix - just remove the base and a little 'touch' of superglue will sort that out - I always use superglue on the Bulleid pacific brake rigging - fix it once!!

My front 3 electric lamps are all upright, not 'slammed' as some have found.

Al.

I found what turns out to be the Hymek Freight Set, R876, but one that was offered via John Player cigarettes!

Set is in beautiful condition, looks to be hardly run, if at all! Complete with No. 20 catalogue, all track, battery controller. Wheels hardly have any wear, gorgeous set!

As you can tell by my changed Avatar - once authorised - the Merchant Navy 35024 'air smoothed' arrived.

Garage is occupied with bathroom gear pending work, so no 'real' running in.

I just inverted after ensuring lubrication was OK, placed into one of those Peco loco mounts, then ran inverted forwards and backwards - possibly a gentler 'break in'.

Weight has been added to both loco and tender to optimise the performance.

I guess its just less than 580g loco + tender - tender being ~170g.

I was wondering why the top of the tender was slightly higher than the cab - you need to really push the tender body forwards once relocated before nipping up - all is well now.

All detailing has been added, and crew as well - looks miles better.

Just 5 more weeks, then I can relay the track - and it'll occupy more of the garage.

Al.

Two Sets :-

The Rovex OO Gauge Mode Electric Train

&

Bachmann Station Pilot (Only b/c a few yrs ago I bought the Hornby Station Pilot & wanted to see what the differance is!!!)

Check out my YT Channel for the Reviews!!! 🚂🙂🙂🙂

I have just started building a ScaleScenes Boxfile layout So have just acquired an R3640 PO, Willans and Robinson, Peckett W4 Class, 0-4-0ST, 882 'Niclausse'. Just need to sort through my wagons now to find a few appropriate ones to run with it.

I had an idea ... then found what I wanted ... and despite being in apparently perfect condition (tbc on arrival) I've just won a Super Detail double chimney late B.R. A4 - currently 60031 Golden Plover - no other bidders!

I have a plan ... I have SNG, I have Mallard (twice, LNER blue and B.R. blue), but there's a recent-famous A4 I don't have ...

I'll rename / renumber 60009 !! Nice little project. Worked great on my B12 and B17.

forum_image_6117a9c16624a.thumb.png.72e4352abdb885646c82255e48f971a0.png

forum_image_6117a9c34b85e.thumb.png.b7164c5b59bb7f5ede276386048ea937.png

forum_image_6117a9c52983e.thumb.png.d8d861c95cbb7d1dae57b4918ec99280.png

Condition looks excellent - looking forward to the project.

Al.

Nice Christmas Bonus indeed - I take it you mean SWMBO?

As I mentioned, my intention is to rename it to that still-hardworking 'Union of South Africa' - not cheap, but Fox's produce 'a full kit' to permit renaming - with all extra 'bits' - cab numbers is still up to the individual, and is always doable, but not easy - done it already to a B12 and B17. I like to have replicas of preserved locos - the B17 is an exception - 61663, as I'm an Evertonian!!

I love the cab detail as well - the glass measures are relatively realistic even.

The high voltage warning labels are different as well - the more-modern yellow ones, and the one on the smokebox is in a different place - I might have a go at that, but perhaps not initially.

Al.

Nice Christmas Bonus indeed - I take it you mean SWMBO?
Al.

It was my actual "boss" at the firm I worked for - he also liked Hornby trainsgrinning

The annual Christmas bonus just got better and bettergrinning

In 2006 it was four Hornby Gresley Teak Coaches.

In 2007 it was R2584 W/C Plymouth (weathered) and

in 2008 it was Duchess Class City of Sheffield - with sound.

Everyone should have a boss like this - he was a great guy to work for.