Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

@ Jeff Mennell                                   

I use a 3D printing service called Shapeways and once I have managed to get a sucessful 3D print I generally put them up for sale on their site. You should find Shapeways by Googling them.

I don't think I should say any more as we are not allowed to promote other businesses but you might recognise the photos of some of my creations posted on here particularly as you leaf through the OO GWR models.

Just taken delivery of the Oxford Rail Dean Goods no 2309. A really nice little loco and very smooth runner. The detail is excellent. I think Hornby missed a trick here as they could have released a loco powered version of their original.

Mine is the fully lined one with belper fire box, brass dome and top feed. At first glance I thought the combination looked wrong but there is a picture of this very loco at Snow Hill in 1914 with the above combinatiion except the dome appears painted (see http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh55.htm). This closes the operational gap I had for freight locos during my post grouping era.

@GNR-Gordon-4

I think he must have been unlucky and got a bad one. As a result he should have sent it back without opening up for a refund or replacement. Mine runs really well and smoothly. Having said that I did get Hattons to fit a chip to it. In which case they probably test ran mine.

Maybe he did get a bad runner, but still, it's a slightly bad runner, it's a very bad runner!

Well I imagine Hatton's do test run a loco, of the customer buys it, with a fittted chip, which I find charge double for! How long does it take Hatton's to fit the chip and send the loco out to you?

The last loco I tried to chip was an electrotren 0-3-0. I took me about a month to do ioncluding waiting for the post and five chips, though three are still usable not including the very expensive ESU now fitted!

The loco was a six pin so I tried a bachmann chip, but this was too long to fit the body on. I then tried a Gaugemaster but the pins were too long so I shortened them but one snapped off. I then tried another gaugemaster but even with the pins shortened it was still too long to grt the body on. I then tried a bachmann direct fit at right angle chip. the body went on but the loco did not move until I rotated the chip by 180 degress, but then the chip prtruded beyond the smokebox so I still couldn't get the body on. Finally I located an ESU six pin chip with harness and only just got the body to fit after trying half a dozen wire routings. I then spent about an hour sticking various bits of detail back on that had broken off during the attempts!

now i Know what I am doing and what I need could probably do it in half an hour. If i ripped out all the circuit boards and hard wired it 15 minutes!