Loco Detection (2)

Fishmanoz said:

Sorry PJ, misunderstood. No you don't need to set up a Detection Controller at all, so no com3. Right click your detector in layout Design and it should bring up a setup window and that contains a drop down list with the programming

options.

And there's something somewhere that says how many detectors a controller can handle and I think the number is 24, but can't remember for sure. And you can only connect 2 controllers.

Hi Fishy

I have opened RM and clicked

on the spanner - system settings

I then clicked Loco detection tab and chose Hornby LDM56 from the loco detection receiver 1
This was the only option other than none

Detection controller is already set at com1
Baud rate 115200
Parity

None and rest are blank
I then clicked the tick to save and exit.

Next I clicked on the compass icon, design layout and opened my layout
A loco detection sensor was then placed on the track (blue box)

I right clicked on the blue sensor

and a popup box appeared - Loco detection sensor settings
It gave the following options...
Device number
Input port
Linked signal
and a larger blank white space in the box with heading Actions.

Nothing else? What have I missed? I do not

see 24 options?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, no need to do anything about selecting LDM56, it is irrelevant if set or left at none. Mine is on none.

Now go back and right click the detector and bring up its setup window. The white area is headed Actions. Now the bit I left out - left

click any line in that area and the drop down list appears.

Fishmanoz said:

Again, no need to do anything about selecting LDM56, it is irrelevant if set or left at none. Mine is on none.

Now go back and right click the detector and bring up its setup window. The white area is headed Actions.

Now the bit I left out - left click any line in that area and the drop down list appears.

Brilliant fishy. Thanksfor your help.

LOCO DETECTION - TO PUT THE DETAILS OF PREVIOUS DISCUSSIONS INTO ONE PLACE

We understand Hornby have come up with two systems which they are very excited about and are at present submitted for patents.

Subject to confirmation of the final

system we have the following...

HARDWARE

Take a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79982-hornbys-railmaster-loco-detection-system/ referred to by Phul in a previous thread.

Railmaster Loco Detection System

R8306

Pack contains: LD Module, 1Pk LD Tag Strips, 4 x LD Track sensors. £79.99

R8307 LD Module £69.99

R8308 LD Track Sensor £ 7.50

R8309 LD Tag Strip £ 9.99

R**** LD Track Sensor Transformer £ 9.99

WHAT CAN WE SET WITHIN RM for Loco Detection

On signal green

On signal red

For loco(s)

For train types(s)

For forward direction

For reverse direction

For any direction

Stop loco

Stop loco on signal

Resume loco on signal

Reduce loco speed to

Increase loco speed

to

Set to cruise speed

Switch right point

Switch left point

Set clear signal

Set danger signal

Activate loco function

Play sound file

Run program file

Fishy also added in a previous discussion...

And there's something somewhere

that says how many detectors a controller can handle and I think the number is 24, but can't remember for sure. And you can only connect 2 controllers.

Once the system is patented and available we will no doubt find out much more and exactly what the

system will do, but for now, the above should include what we can expect.

@PJ_model_trains

Thanks for taking the time to summarise this for us.

Incidentally, I have followed that link before showing part numbers and prices but I have never managed to find the same information on the Hornby website.

RDS said:

@PJ_model_trains
Thanks for taking the time to summarise this for us.
Incidentally, I have followed that link before showing part numbers and prices but I have never managed to find the same information on the Hornby website.

No

problem, the subject was getting repeated and needed something doing. Thanks to Hornby also that have locked the other thread with same name.

Regarding the hardware, it is still wait and see, their Eurika moment may have changed things slightly we do

not know, but willin time.

I know the system is good and powerful but I feel they have run a tight ship with it to make them some money not taking into account the people who have dozens of locos. I guess they feel people cannot run more than 4 at a

time, we can.

I am wondering if when we set a loco up and give it commands, can we rename it for another loco and use the same commands. Maybe it will be down to the way a loco picks up a signal. If anyone has any idea how this works or can the above

be done, please share your knowledge for us all to learn.

PJ_model_trains said:

I know the system is good and powerful but I feel they have run a tight ship with it to make them some money not taking into account the people who have dozens of locos. I guess they feel people cannot run more than

4 at a time, we can.

I am wondering if when we set a loco up and give it commands, can we rename it for another loco and use the same commands. Maybe it will be down to the way a loco picks up a signal. If anyone has any idea how this works or can the

above be done, please share your knowledge for us all to learn.

PJ, what makes you think you can only run 4 locos? That doesn't make sense to me.

And the system will operate via programs you write for your locos. So depending on the

loco, you can have it follow the same commands as others, or different commands, your choice depending on the programs you write.

Now I'm getting a little excited! I really must have a play with 'program' mode. My hope is that Detection will introduce a form of event-driven programming where detector will fire a detection event back to RM containing the detector ID, loco ID, speed

and direction etc. It will then be the programs job to decide what to do. Time, of unknown size, will tell !

PJ_model_trains said:

Thanks to Hornby also that have locked the other thread with same name.

Sorry I started a new thread with the same name as this one. When I read the article about detection I thought I'd flag

it up on the Forum. When I started it I thought I mustn't give it the same name which I promptly did. I blame everything but me.

Fishmanoz said:

PJ, what makes you think you can only run 4 locos? That doesn't make sense to me.

And the system will operate via programs you write for your locos. So depending on the loco, you can have it follow the same commands

as others, or different commands, your choice depending on the programs you write.

Hi Fishy, I thought the following correct me if wrong... I'm ready ;-)

Loco detection, Max 2 controllers, I thought I read a controller can cope with 4

locos (2×4 is where I got max 8 locos from) each controller can take 24 detectors (2×24 is 48 detectors)

Have I misunderstood number of loco's that can be detected?

PJ_model_trains said:

Hi RAF96

I am sure Fishy will update this but meanwhile I add the following for you

Take a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79982-hornbys-railmaster-loco-detection-system/ referred

to by Phul in a previous thread. I have not heard of any changes to this.

Railmaster Loco Detection System

R8306 Pack contains: LD Module, 1Pk LD Tag Strips, 4 x LD Track sensors. £79.99
R8307 LD Module £69.99
R8309

LD Tag Strip £ 9.99

Regarding your last comment, I think you will find your system is picking these up. They work on my laptop but not on my tablet.

PJ_model_trains said:

Hi Fishy, I thought the following correct me if wrong... I'm ready ;-)

Loco detection, Max 2 controllers, I thought I read a controller can cope with 4 locos (2×4 is where I got max 8 locos from) each controller

can take 24 detectors (2×24 is 48 detectors)

Have I misunderstood number of loco's that can be detected?

Sorry for slow reply, I'm away from home and rather busy so have had limited opportunity to be on the forum.

Logically it is

unlikely that the controller can only handle 4 locos. Think about what the controller must be doing. First it is registering that a detector has just "seen" a particular loco tag ID, and also most likely the direction it is going. Given the ID tag will be

short, it won't be able to tell speed with any accuracy, if at all. Next, the controller is going to have to have a register of which tag IDs belongs to which loco so that it now knows which loco has just passed the detector. It makes no sense that the list

will be limited to 4. It should be more like 1024.

Remember, the LD controller isn't going to control your locos, it is just going to register detections and the actions to be taken once those detections are registered. You listed the actions when

you programmed the detector if you remember when you experimented on your layout.

I guess it is thesame old story, it will be easier when we have it and play with it.

I would image it will be best to take things in stages, first let it detect all the loco's as they progress on route.

Then try to create zones, stop points,

signal and point control etc.

And share what we learn with others on the Hornby forum.

[reply]PJ_model_trains said:

LOCO DETECTION - TO PUT THE DETAILS OF PREVIOUS DISCUSSIONS INTO ONE PLACE

We understand Hornby have come up with two systems which they are very excited about and are at present submitted for patents.

Subject

to confirmation of the final system we have the following...

HARDWARE

Take a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79982-hornbys-railmaster-loco-detection-system/ referred to by Phul in a previous thread.

Railmaster Loco

Detection System

R8306 Pack contains: LD Module, 1Pk LD Tag Strips, 4 x LD Track sensors. £79.99

R8307 LD Module £69.99

R8309 LD Tag Strip £ 9.99

WHAT CAN WE SET

WITHIN RM for Loco Detection

On signal green

On signal red

For loco(s)

For train types(s)

For forward direction

For reverse direction

For any direction

Stop loco

Stop loco on signal

Resume loco on signal

Reduce loco speed

to

Increase loco speed to

Set to cruise speed

Switch right point

Switch left point

Set clear signal

Set danger signal

Activate loco function

Play sound file

Run program file

Fishy also added in a previous discussion...

And

there's something somewhere that says how many detectors a controller can handle and I think the number is 24, but can't remember for sure. And you can only connect 2 controllers.

Once the system is patented and available we will no doubt find out much

more and exactly what the system will do, but for now, the above should include what we can expect.[is loco detection available to buy now? I can't find anything on the hornby website to suggest that it is.]