Loco Detection (2)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GDJT said:

Is loco detection available to buy now? I can't find anything on the hornby website to suggest that it is.

Hi GDJT, sorry it is not available yet, so many of us are waiting for it but that is all we can do

at present.

Hornby have two systems and they are patenting both systems, once they have the patent they will be produced and made available. We do not know any more except the good news they have the system they want, and one other and they have been

submitted for the patent.

We are all sure it will be worth the wait, Hornby are excited about the system I am sure we will be too.

Phul007 said:

I can see a big change I will have to make on my layout as I have my points and signals running the same dcc accessories address so when I chance a point the signal changes at the same time. If detection will need to see the

signal status then I will have to put signals on my RM layout and allocate them the same address as the points.

We won't know until it is available. Possibly the detection at the points will trigger the change to the two as you have now.

I

think quite a few things will change as we do things a different way. I am looking at programming points for routes but am holding back as I think Loco detection would do things better or certainly differently.

At present I am playing with recording

what I do then play it back and tweak it. The record is better than the route system for me as I have 5 interlinking ovals. Hopefully the record will pick up on any changes with loco detection, I guess it will.

I am not ready yet but am holding back

on purchasing signals until the loco detection is available and working. I really do think if RailMaster can deal with other companies points/signal decoders then loco detection will as it works through RM and is just picking up and responding to digit codes

passed to it.

You could (should ?) be moving from a prescriptive, procedural world, ie do this, then do that and afterwards do something else, to an event-driven world, ie when this happens do this, if that happens do something different. Its could be a completely different

way of looking at things.

MetmanUK said:

You could (should ?) be moving from a prescriptive, procedural world, ie do this, then do that and afterwards do something else, to an event-driven world, ie when this happens do this, if that happens do something different.

Its could be a completely different way of looking at things.

Considering the program route technique and the event do this technique, I know which I prefer. Maybe its because I have now retired, I don't have to get up before 7am, I don't have

tocheck emails and orders all day, or list items online. I don't have to work 7 days a week, I work to this happens do that, that happens ok do this. Yes I prefer this method but it is taking some adjusting.

PJ_model_trains said:

Considering the program route technique and the event do this technique, I know which I prefer. Maybe its because I have now retired, I don't have to get up before 7am, I don't have tocheck emails and orders all day,

or list items online. I don't have to work 7 days a week, I work to this happens do that, that happens ok do this. Yes I prefer this method but it is taking some adjusting.

The event-driven concept best describes our chaotic world but programming

for it WILL take some getting used to.

walkingthedog said:

Looking at what you've just written, I reckon I've been living an event driven world all my life.

Events are just one element of object-orientation (OO - now there's a coincidence!) theory which is used

by most modern programming languages as it can describe most aspects of our world. So, yes, you live in an OO world one way or another !!!

I must admit,a lot of you guys seem to be so advanced in your digital railway modeling that you need to second-guess something that hasn't even been launched yet. I'm way off being into detection systems. I've now programmed almost all of my sound locos

onto RM, will soon be testing such things as double-heading, and even programming schedules is probably some way off for me, never mind what you're all concerned about. Am I perhaps a slow developer? What's all this rush?

Graskie said:

I must admit,a lot of you guys seem to be so advanced in your digital railway modeling that you need to second-guess something that hasn't even been launched yet. I'm way off being into detection systems. I've now programmed

almost all of my sound locos onto RM, will soon be testing such things as double-heading, and even programming schedules is probably some way off for me, never mind what you're all concerned about. Am I perhaps a slow developer? What's all this rush?

Don't

compare Graskie, so long as you are happy with what you have and what you do that is all that matters.

It was my worry when the guy said show us your layouts. The smaller layouts dont get shown because they cannot compete. Mine is so new it is only

taking shape but I showed it to encourage others...

Lets see some shelf layouts, some fiddlers yards, some full attic layouts, garages, huts or on the wifes ironing board.

It's good to share.

Is Fishy away?

walkingthedog said:

I'm so far behind DCC that I'm going backwards Graskie, but I don't understand all this second guessing. Probably completely different when it comes out and then they'll be saying 'oh I thought it was going to do this

not that'.

Hi WTD we are all waiting and guessing but what appeals to me are

I will know on my control where every train is
I will create zones and only one train can be in a zone at any one time
I will have a better system than

there has ever been before. No program route, another, another and chain them. I can run loco, pass a tag set speed, change points, change signalsand so much more. I believe it will be powerful to use and help us run more trains and be in total control. Timing

will be the main thing, but it will be fun.

I totally agree that detection is going to be an amazing thing. What I find strange is the way you are all discussing how it's going to do this and that when nothing has been released. It has been announced that it is going to be different to what was

originally put forward. From what I've read it's going to be better than first thought and will work in a completely different way.

Graskie said:

I very much agree, PJ, with the promising yet further advantages of loco detection, but I converted from DC to DCC some years ago now and am still playing catch up.

Only buy what suits your needs Graskie and when

you are ready for it. As technology keeps moving forward we will never keep up. The latest phone, the latest tv, the latest computers, rablets, etc. They will beout of date in months.

Regarding loco detection, I think it is safe to say, what ever commands

are in route programming and in RM will work with loco detection but, probably in an easier and more flexible way.

Phul007 said:

I think the second guessing from my end is that I am an IT person and being able to combine my modelling skills with programming will be great.

Also my biggest issues is myself, in that I choose a layout that is very

complicated and is difficult to run manually as many routes overlay.
I am doing the RM program with timing but it will be so much more fun with detection.

There will always be the next big thing we want yesterday unfortunately at the moment its detection.

My

Crystal ball for the next ten years is :

Controlling oo trains via Wi-Fi and not DCC bus from track (reduce issues and cabling)
More lights in carriages , steam and rolling stock
DCC uncouplers on locos
Opening doors on DMU/EMUs
Sound as

standard on all locos
Cameras on Locos as options
Locos using collision detection to stop in emergencies (as in some cars today)
Passengers in Carriages as standard
Finally the biggest change with be picking your model off the Hornby web site,

downloading it and printing this on your 3D printer in multiple colours including logos, initially it will just the outside parts but eventually as technology gets better it will be the entire unit including motors.

Wow Phul007, your hopes for

the next ten years! I wonder how many will be out dated and another system or option take it's place?

I have a small wish list it is as follows...

That I will wake up, be greatful for another day, say thank you, enjoy the day whatever comes

my way and not get on my wifes nerves but make sure she knows i care ;-)

walkingthedog said:

I totally agree that detection is going to be an amazing thing. What I find strange is the way you are all discussing how it's going to do this and that when nothing has been released. It has been announced that it is

going to be different to what was originally put forward. From what I've read it's going to be better than first thought and will work in a completely different way.