2014 Club Model

Bulleidboy

The club loco and the Terriers are not DCC Ready (or fitted). As a point of interest with regards to fitting a decoder to the Terrier, this was shown as a "How to" in BRM magazine in November 2012. This has been covered before but usually involves removing

some of the weights which are fitted internally. This article used a Digitrax DZ125 decoder, but they said a Hornby R8249 would also fit. It was found that there was room to stick (they used bath sealant) the decoder to the side of the motor, and still be

able to refit the body. This being a small loco, it needs all the weight it can carry. The wiring was the usual set-up. Hope this may be of some assistance.

As a newcomer to OO gauge model railway I am looking forward to receiving my model 040, even if it is a black pug as some of you refer to it.

I bought a West Coast Railway set at Christmas, in a sale, so this will be my second engine of the same design/type,

although in different livery. I have already managed to collect a few more trucks and wagons, not to mention track and hope to have the two engines running a freight/branch line in due course.

Does anyone know when I can expect to receive the engine though?

I joined in early January.

Thanks

@Badger99, The club 0-4-0 locos do not come either DCC ready or fitted, but I have fitted all of mine so far with hornby R8249 decoders. The first one I did was the 2012 club loco and it was a little challenge, but I soon learnt how to do it. It really

isn't that hard. I just followed the instructions on the Hornby website. (https://www.hornby.com/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/standard-0-4-0-decoder-installation-guide/). Hope that is of some help, and enjoy!

@Mike511, At the moment, hornby

are still waiting for stock in their warehouse for all of the Collector Club stock. This includes the 2014 Club loco, the 2014 Badges, member cards, welcome packs, etc etc. They should hopefully be delivered during the first half of February. I renewed my

membership in December, and still have not received anything in the post. So don't worry, it will arrive!

New 0-4-0 decoder installation is about the easiest there is. Unless it's been updated since I last looked though, that Hornby guide assumes the motor must be removed and turned over. That is not the case as the Club models' motors are right way up so

can be chipped in place. Just disconnect pickup wires from the motor and connect them to decoder red and black,throw away all suppression capacitors and inductors and connect motor connections to orange and grey, and you are done.

DMU mad said:

@Mike511, At the moment, hornby are still waiting for stock in their warehouse for all of the Collector Club stock. This includes the 2014 Club loco, the 2014 Badges, member cards, welcome packs, etc etc. They should hopefully

be delivered during the first half of February. I renewed my membership in December, and still have not received anything in the post. So don't worry, it will arrive!

Thanks DMU... I've heard about supply problems from China so I'll just sit

back and wait a while longer. In the meantime I can get some more track and start testing my layout..
M

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Just thought I would say I got my Club Loco as well today! I ordered my membership mid-feb so from my perspective it's been fast, especially because I live in Norway and usually the Norwegian Customs stop everything and slaps on some VAT

:).

What do I have to say about this nice little 0-4-0 pug? It seems really nice, has some nice detailing on the side, a firm metal plate underneath making it heavy, even the lower parts of the train at the back near the coal area seems to be metal.

I have never ordered a 0-4-0 Club Loco before so I have no idea if previous club locos are also like this.

Though I should probably add that my only previous experience with Hornby when it comes to 0-4-0 tank engines was a cheap 50 pounds set (that

I got 10 years ago when I was a child) that included a green number 9 British railway 0-4-0 tank engine which was completely made out of plastic. Picture: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Hornby-OO-Gauge-British-Railways-No-9-Green-Locomotive-/00/s/NTUxWDEyMDA=/z/4TQAAOxy-WxTBiQX/$_12.JPG

So compared to that train, this one is heavenly :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

Signing in from New Zealand, still awaiting my club pack and loco at this point. Signed up again mid-January and have had a couple of mags arrive so far. I expect the bulky nature of the loco will slow it up some through the international

post channels but hopefully not too far away now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received mine this past week and it doesnt appear to be a very good runner :( Is it work attempting to give it a service first to try get it running or contact Hornby and getting it exchanged?

If a service wont work, WILL Hornby then still exchange

it?

• 4 weeks later...

My loco and kit turned up here in less then 5 weeks. They used RM small parcels to mail it.

My only complaint is nothing to do with Hornby. Usually Australia Post delivers these via their courier service and I find it on my doorstep. This time,

it came with the postman, wouldn't fit in the letterbox and all I got was a card that I had to take back to the local post office to collect it.

• 7 months later...

Archived