Decoder type?

Super D

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not 8249. I have one DCC fitted loco, all my others were DCC ready with 8249 fitted by me. The DCC fitted loco rather annoyingly won't accept long addresses so whatever it is it is more basic than the 8249.

Dan

Well, this is strange. Each time I read CVs 7 and 8 I get different numbers, wildly different. I tried with a loco with an R8249 in and it came back with CV7 being 131 and CV 8 being 48 which I think matches what it should be. My NCE powercab has a function

that reads the manufacturer number then the version number so I tried that and it gave me 255 for the manufacturer number, which isn't listed on the NMRA manufacturer list, and 12 for the version number. I then tried again and it again came up with manufacturer

#255, but this time is was version 255. The only conclusion I can come up with is the decoder in here is not NMRA compliant. The loco is a couple of years old now, R2637X, a Stanier 4MT, it may be different in newer locos.

It appears, from what I can gather, that a value of 255 indicates that this CV is not currently supported and its contents should not be transmitted.
This probably indicates that the decoder is the old R8215 which didn't support the read back feature.

some early dcc-fitted locos from Hornby did have a 7 (or 6?) pin socket.

I would expect that locos a couple of years old would indeed have the 8215 fitted.

It would be interesting to know what is in the current locos. I would guess 8249.

Greg

another question....

In the photo provided it looks like the decoder was pressed down on top of the 8 pin plug in the dcc-fitted loco you bought. this is the same as I have done with my Fowler 2-6-4T - anything else was too hard for me.

did

the dcc-fitted loco have an insulating sleeve fitted or tape or ??

interested to know.

Greg

Hi Greg

there was no insulating sleeve, but there is a piece of insulating tape on the other side of the decoder that you can't see in the picture and there was a piece of tape also on top of the 8 pin plug to insulate the plug from the decoder

when there were pressed together. I took this off so the plug was visible in the picture.

It would be interesting to know if the new DCC fitted locos have R8249 in, it could change my mind over buying them or not. Sounds like a question for Hornby Customer

Care!

Dan

that's

another interesting input to the oft discussed "do I use tape/sleeve/??? when installing decoders?" question.

Dear All,

The only engine that ever used the 7-Pin decoder is the Virgin Pendolino, every other loco either uses the 4-Pin; this is normally little engines like the 0-4-0 and 0-6-0, most other engines use the 8-Pin socket. We do not produce 6-Pin

decoders.

All our new engines are fitted with the R8249 decoder, which is identified with a blue spot. Some of the older locos may have the R8215 these can be identified with no spot, white spot or a red spot.

• 2 months later...

Easiest is to remove the body and have a look! Leave body off until replacement decoder is obtained and fitted. :-)

Archived