Extra Details on Premium models

bocaj

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Again Walkingthedog,
I know two models with opening smokeboxes, both by B@c'mann. I don't own any but proboly will do soon.

The Class 50 is a very good model from what I know, with alot of detail!
I don't own one but I think I'm going

to have to get one soon!

Thanks for the help,

Jacob

the std 4mt 4-6-0 the supper d's and jubiless and the 3 mt tank have open fire box doors as i have them does't hornbys m7 have one the class 31 has opening doors and working fan. and the hornby 8f has an open fire box because the use to have a light in

them which i had at the time. and have fitted my new one with a orange led looks good seting in the mpd

I'll have to add the '8F' to my Hornby

wishlist!

Does anyone know of any other Hornby or Tri-Ang locomotives with lights, illuminated fireboxes or other working features?

Lots of Hornby Diesel locomotives have working lights Choobacca, these are the ones I know,
Class 390 Virgin Trains Pendlino,
Hornby Class 50,
All V' Tr@ins and Helj@n Diesel and Electric locomotives that I know of have working lights.
Bmann

G2A has a Opening Smokebox door, so does a Bmann Tank Engine, I'm not sure which one though.

Hope this helps,

Jacob

i am sure hornby a GWR 2-8-0 use to have a illumminated fire box and i think it was mid 1990's But i do not know if the new ones are base on the old tooling so i would not like to say if they could be fitted with a L E D i cant say what class or the cat

number but i am sure some one would know.

All Hornby Live Steam Models have a glowing firebox. However, it only glows Red when it is not ready to move and green when it is ready to move and is moving I think. I'm not sure if this can be swapped around or not as I don't know much about Live Steam

models.

• 4 weeks later...
Choobaca, having fired at night, it is pitch black on the footplate, until the fire hole door is opened for a spell of shoveling. Unless you have major problems, or are working against the collar as soon as you are done, the door is shut.
As for lights

( steam engines to 1968 ) unless Bullied engines and some LNER engines the lanterns are oil lit and are nothing like car headlights.

My Tri-ang Dock Shunters still have lights too, fab aren't they LC&DR, great little loco and such a turn of speed on steel track.

I have recently upgraded an unboxed untidy example to DCC, it's a fab runner, I bought it off a certain online auction

site and have added a glazing pack and fitted LED's, it now has all the little moulded lamps lit by fibre optics and an LED in place of the old bulb. Resprayed it into BR Green with ficitious BR number and cabside totems. Looks and runs fab. Ultimate detail,

well no but still a nice little loco, capturing the spirit of the typical diesel yard shunter of the 1960's.

I have two Tri-ang M7 runners on shed I can pose them with their smokebox doors open and with a fireman or shed cleaner removing char, wheelbarrow

placed at the ready of course.

Yes indeed Jacob the old princess moulding wasn't to scale but they run very well and still capture the spiriti of the thing. I sometimes wonder if exact scale really matters unless you are modelling in fine scale P4 as

I do with my exhibiton layout. Some of the finely detailed models in the range such as the A4 aren't exactly to scale. I think capturing of the spirit of the thing is more important.

Glowing fireboxes, opening smokebox doors, and syncrosmoke are definately

needed in the range.

• 2 weeks later...
Hiya several of the new models have opening doors the class 50/31/08 aqll have opening doors now but would love to see some with the opening smokebox doors, but to keep the real urists happy hornby will end up having to put some tubes in there so it will

probably be expensive

Archived