How can you tell if you have a faulty decoder?

Honvik

Hi all

Ive got a loco that isn't reading all of the cvs or saving a new dcc no - I have just reprogrammed a different engine and it worked fine so I know its not the prog track - when it confirms the saved dcc no it looks like it has done it but

when you read the cv again sometimes it flashes up 130 and sometimes 000 ................... Its a new loco so shouldn't be any issues what else should I check />/

Sounds like you don't have a good connection to the decoder. You could try swapping the decoder into the loco that works and see what you get. If it works in the other loco, it's definitely a connection problem so check for clean wheels and good pickup

adjustment to the wheels.

@Honvik

The title to your thread is a very good question.

I am guessing that a lot of us have a decoder that appears to have stopped working but I am interested in how we can check them before we make the inevitable decision to throw it away.

I

am of course familiar with the options of trying it in another loco but then we are always thinking is that loco alright, is the programming track or the controller OK etc. etc.

I would like to be able to check the decoder away from the loco, away from

the programming track, just on its own.

Is it possible?

@walkingthedog

Yes, I realise that and it is not too bad if the decoder is a plug in type.

What I am looking for is a (simple?) piece of Test Equipment, that does not involve a loco etc.

I think I will see what I can come up with.

I have

in mind, a motor, a few LED's and a terminal block.

RDS said:

@walkingthedog
What I am looking for is a (simple?) piece of Test Equipment, that does not involve a loco etc.

I think I will see what I can

come up with.
I have in mind, a motor, a few LED's and a terminal block.

I wasn't telling you RDS I was telling Honvik. It's surprising how many people don't realise that a fault can be traced this way. Even had to suggest it to one of our

'engineers' at work once when a printer stopped working.

@Deltic_Malc

Thank you for your reply.

I can't believe I had not seen them before but the one you describe looks very good and just what I had in mind, well more really because it does sound as well.

When does Santa Claus come again!

RDS said:

@walkingthedog

I think I will see what I can

come up with.
I have in mind, a motor, a few LED's and a terminal block.

I have one of those electronic breadboards from maplin which makes it a diddle to set up a test scenario. I even used one of their 8 way sockets to plug in the decoder.

A spare motor and a few LEDs powered from the elite complete the setup.

My only factory fitted experience is the mixed freight set. They are plugged. Also, as all they have to do is run the loco, no lights and no other functions, they are a 4 pin special, can't remember the part number off hand. But I suspect these may also

be what Hornby fits to a range of factory fitted, particularly steam without lights. I could of course be wrong and this decoder is limited to the cheaper DCC sets.

Archived