Printing CVs

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

Does anyone know how to print off the cv table once downloaded from a loco decoder?

I have tried a search of the forums and nothing comes up. I thought about using print screen and pasting into paint

or similar, but it seems such a long winded way to do such a simple task,

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, looked but couldn't find what I thought I had. You can do it using JRMi DecoderPro, but then I'm sure you don't want to have to run and understand an advanced program like that just to be able to print CVs. Then again, maybe you do.

I agree

with RDS, ask HRMS to add the feature for printing on the Desirable features thread. Then again, they may read it here anyway.

@Fishmanoz

I think better to add it to our list and keep all the suggestions together.

I am surprised this one has not come up before because the more I think about it, the more uses I can see for it.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

You cannot currently print a list of CVs from the programming table, however this feature is included in the next major update.

This is excellent news, I have been using screen grabs then typing

into excel.

Printing will be a good addition.

Can the software save the default CV settings and make it possible to restore them?

I think I may have misinterpreted you too PJ. Once you have a loco in your list and set it up as per that loco in RM, RM contains all of the CV settings for the loco. These are stored in a file in the RM directory.

If you go to another copy of

RM, you can copy and paste your loco list files into the new copy of RM, so you won't lose any of your loco info. I think the files are of the format locos?.dat where ? Represents your loco number as installed in RM and there is one for each loco. I may be

wrong and someone will come along to correct me soon if so.

If you put a new decoder in your loco, you can still go to your loco list and write your stored CVs into the new decoder.

In summary, you should never lose any of your loco data with

RM as it stands.

I have a .bat file on my desktop, it saves important files for RM and TrackMaster to another location. I click this every other day.

The reason I asked about export csv file was because I would like to store in excel all sounds and codes for each

sound loco.

I will check the files you mention above and see if I can read them. I am aware there is other software that could do this but, I have to much to do with the layout to get involved in java programs.

Thanks for your help as always.

The file "Resource.mdb" stores all locos you set up, along with all CVs read for each loco. The file is located in the RailMaster program folder C:Program FilesRailMaster (or C:Program Files (x86)RailMaster on 64-bit systems).

Loco groups you

set up are stored in Groups.dat in the same folder as are all track plans (files ending in .pln) and RailMaster programs (files ending in .prg).

@PJ_model_trains

In view of the response from HRMS above, regarding the formats. A .mdb file is a Microsoft Access format file which means we can get the convert the CV values to any format we wish and this would work well with your desire to have them

in CSV format to export to Excel. In fact, Access can export directly to Excel.

PJ_model_trains said:

I realised it was an Access file and it is in the professional version, I have everything else in the MS Office suite package before it.

It may however be in the OS Office suite I will check this when I get chance.

The

poor among us can use Open Office - a free open source product that includes a writer, spreadsheet, database, math processor, drawing tool, etc.
You can save any files to be compatible with MS Office various versions.

• 10 months later...
Not sure if it's a 1.58 thing or Pro pack but you can now print off the entire table of CV's for a loco - presumably once you've read them and the fields are populated with data. However you get 4 sheets of A4 (yeah, I did it) most of it of no interest it being manufacturer unique or reserved for NMRA use. I wouldn't mnd being able to print a selection of CV's, say 1 - 46, anyone else think this a good idea? R-

Not sure if it's a 1.58 thing or Pro pack but you can now print off the entire table of CV's for a loco - presumably once you've read them and the fields are populated with data. However you get 4 sheets of A4 (yeah, I did it) most of it of no interest it being manufacturer unique or reserved for NMRA use. I wouldn't mnd being able to print a selection of CV's, say 1 - 46, anyone else think this a good idea? R-

I think it is a Pro-Pack feature Rog, even so it would make sense and save paper if RM printed only those CVs with a retrieved value and cropped those normally greyed out in the read list.

I think it would make more sense to be able to save the settings to a CSV file.

Pieces of paper are OK (except wasting paper and ink used to print out) but I can easily lose them.

I prefer to have a file (which is sync to another drive so not lost)

The request has been made to HRMS to make both options available in a future upgrade.

PJ

What you could do is install a programming such as Bullzip PDF printer. This allows you to print out a PDF which is only a file on your computer in PDF format, no hard copy is produced. You can then extract the CV values from the document and paste them into a word processor, spreadsheet or other program, format it to your requirements and finally do a hard copy printout if needed.

Archived