How to connect elink

GD1

Sorry for Very basic questions. Have just bought elink with railmaster but didn't realise need internet connection. Have internet in house but train layout is in loft above garage which is too far away from router. Is internet needed all the time for running

railmaster or just for downloads which I could do in house? Second question - device manager on my windows7 laptop doesn't have a "ports" sub menu - how do I find out which port to use? My layout could run up to 10 trains so would like to run elink but maybe

should swop it for Elite!

GD1 said:

Sorry for Very basic questions. Have just bought elink with railmaster but didn't realise need internet connection. Have internet in house but train layout is in loft above garage which is too far away from router. Is internet needed

all the time for running railmaster or just for downloads which I could do in house? Second question - device manager on my windows7 laptop doesn't have a "ports" sub menu - how do I find out which port to use? My layout could run up to 10 trains so would

like to run elink but maybe should swop it for Elite!

In terms of 1), Internet connection only needed to register the software and then once a week or so to check for updates would be recommended. Not sure on 2), but in windows 8 its under device

manager (suggest look at the drivers pdf file that comes with RailMaster, it will tell you in there.)

I've gone from Elite to eLink and don't regret it so stay with it ;-)

hi, yelrow here, you do not need an internet connection at all to run railmaster. My layout is in my barn, and has no connection. As d gilbert says, once you have registered its all fine. Just connect elsewhere once a week in case of any updates. Elink

finds its own port, ,and the spanner button on left hand corner on screen, tells you what port its in. On mine, its 6, but could just as easily be 4. Elite is very expensive, you could add it later as a second controller, but elink has all that you will need.

I am very much a novice, and have had masses of help from this forum. If you sit back and wait, you will start to receive some very experienced advice, from all sorts of locations, john

dgilbert2 said:

In terms of 1), Internet connection only needed to register the software and then once a week or so to check for updates would be recommended. Not sure on 2), but in windows 8 its under device manager (suggest look at the

drivers pdf file that comes with RailMaster, it will tell you in there.)

I've gone from Elite to eLink and don't regret it so stay with it ;-)

2). My Win8.1 desktop is the same (although it isn't my train pc) I reckon there is no Ports

sub menu in the Device Mgr screen because there is nothing plugged in that requires a COM port. Check also in Dev Mgr under View that hidden devices is ticked and click the + sign beside Portable Devices.

ELink most definitely does not find its own port as John suggests. You will need to find it in Device Manager and ensure that the port found in Device Manager is put into Rm am Setup.

Info reported above on need for internet connection is fine

unless you decide you want to add a handheld app. That will need a continuous internet connection.

That should say RM Setup.

And you may have to check Device Manager at other times too as Windows has a nasty habit of reassigning com ports without bothering to tell you. So if you find in future you are having communication problems, check the

port number.

interesting about com ports, cos i never did anything with mine, it did it all itself.Started in com port 4, and moved, to 6. I did look for it in device manager, but it never identified itself.My problem was that my windows 7 is french, and does not totally

conform to the us, or uk equivilent. As my french is about the same level as my DCC knowledge, it must have been beginners luck. john

If you want to extend your home network to your RM pc without using a wi-fi link to the router, have a look at Maplins electronic stores. They sell plugs which enable you to use your mains as a wired link to your router from any mains socket in your house.

Ray

Archived