The National Collection

LCDR

Sitting here at my desk looking out over the Great Hall I was amazed at how much of the National Collection might provide an ideal subject for new models in the future.

Starting with my own likes -

The Wainwright 'D' of course, how could

LC&DR not want that one?!

Furness Railway Copperknob, a classic Bury type 0-4-0,

the E5000 (not at York presently)

and Stephenson's Rocket

So who would like to suggest their pick of the National Collection that has not yet appeared in ready

to run OO gauge?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is EXACTLY why a new 'Rocket; model is needed. The Germans have 'Der Adler', the Americans have 'Best Friend of Charlton' and ' De Witt Clinton' models from home grown manufacturers.

Graskie said:

There is a R346C Stephensons

Rocket Train & 3 coach set in new sealed boxed condition for £424.50 Buy it now. Tri-ang first produced the Rocket in 1964. Never appealed to me because it was before even my time.

That is a pity, it is really good being a volunteer at the museum. You meet a lot of interesting people, all of whom share our interests, and to work surrounded by all those wonderful locomotives and all the other exhibits. The 'public' are fun too, many

of them have interesting stories. I wish I had a pound for every one who has told me that their grand-dad drove the Flying Scotsman!!

'Mallard' returned from Shildon yesterday behind 'Union of South Africa', but had not entered the museum proper before

I went home.

cooped said:

Would love to, but it's a bit far to come.

Closest equivalent to me is the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, with the Strasburg Railroad just over the road, about a 90 minute drive. Plenty of opportunities to volunteer there, but I should probably wait 25 years for retirement so I actually have

the time for it! Still, US stuff just doesn't excite me the same way good old Blighty trains do.

walkingthedog said:

I thought cooped was originally from the UK.

I am! Born and bred Essex boy for my sins!

Truth is LC & DR I made sure of a visit to the NRM when I was back in Blighty August last year to see DDE and

DoC as I knew I was never likely to get to see them over this side of the Atlantic!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very true, little can motors can fit almost anywhere, so a drive mechanism would be very easy nowadays.  But then what about some of the other early locomotives, like the 'Planet' which is at MOSI, or 'Copperknob'. I suspect the real reason is that there is only a limited call for them amongst main stream model train enthusiasts, who seem to prefer big Pacifics in BR liveries, or modern diesel locomotives.

I would love to have one or more from the following listjust as curiosities

Rocket, San Pareil, Planet, Northumbria, Jenny Lind, Copperknob, Lion (or "Thunderbolt")  

BUT I doubt we will ever see any of them. :-(

The carriages and wagons to go with them might make interesting models too. All Tri-ang made were the first class 'stagecoach type' carriages, but some of the open thirds (really open, no roof!) would have added variety. If Locomotion was made there ought to be some 'Chaldron' coal wagons to go with it. That wagon type lasted 180 years and were still in use at Seaham Harbour in the 1990s! I'd lay odds that these would outsell the loco! although I doubt that Locomotion would satisfy the North Eastern brigade, too early, sorry PP!

Archived