The National Collection

LCDR

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I do so agree.

The Stirling 8' single would make a superb model, the huge driving wheel and outside connecting rod would look very stately. None of the old Triang singles had outside cylinders. I have a Kitmaster one I made years ago. It is one of my only original Kitmasters to have survived more or less intact. It is far too precious to me to attempt to motorise it. I really ought to put it into my display case.

I am still rather hoping that the 'B' team will bring out a NRM edition Wainwright 'D'. After all they already have the tender tooled up.

Talking of tenders I believe that the Stirling 8 footer is reunited with its proper tender now.

Hi LC&DR

I believe the tenders on the Stirling Singles were a bit of a mixed bag -  different batches, different tenders. The tender attached to No 1 when it went into the original York Railway Museum was wrong since none of this type were fitted to the Singles. It was, I believe, designed by Sturrock (I am open to correction) and it just happened to be used for the preserved loco. I'm sure more info is on hand in the forum on the LNER Encyclopaedia.

This "new" tender just happened to be found 'lying around' and as it is more appropriate it was grabbed. It would be interesting to find out when it was last used for its proper purpose. (Project for when you're next in the NRM????) 

Personally, I prefer the look of it as originally preserved, the new tender top edge does not line up with the cab cut-out (it's taller) and to my eyes it looks odd.

Tenders outlived locomotives because they could be used as water carriers. I guess this is why the Stirling tended 'appeared'. Another use of old tenders was as snowploughs. The Southern Region converted a few 'Schools' class tenders for this purpose.

There used to be a lovely collection of old LNWR tenders at Machyllech shed for many years. I wonder what became of them? Probably ignominiously scrapped!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It will definately be a  a commissioned model, as that retailer concerned has just emailed subscribers to their newsletters with details. It is NOT being made by Hornby in this case. SURELY we are not going to yet another production war??!!

Hi LC&DR

Nothing new with the 'Kings'. Cast your mind back to the late 60s/early 70s. Triang/Hornby and Lima both released a King at the same time - they were reviewed in the magazines simultaniously and obviously they were compared. The Triang/Hornby came off worst as it had the skirts at the bottom of the boiler to cope with the large motor - at least the Lima one, with it's faults had a round boiler!!

Two wrongs don't make a right! And if you REALLY want a useful new Class 8P locomotive then a Merchant Navy in original guise has got to win it hands down!!  I would not grumble if two manufacturers went head to head over one of those. :-)

As you guys know I manufacturer model railway bits and bods in with my other work.  Three years ago we did a mock up a rainhill trials set, initally we had looked into modelling an early tramway system but as we had to have the fishbelly rails and chairs and sleepers made we decided to look into making a rainhill trials set.  Response from the shops was mixed, I approached the big retailers with mixed views and results, the general opinion was that it wouldn't sell so we shelved the project. The prototype moulds are laying in the dump corner of the workshop over at Cambridge.

Despite its early demise the BR early blue was very smart especially when hauling red and cream BR carriages. On NYMR 60007 'Sir Nigel Gresley'  looks striking in this combination. The old GW green which was adopted for all express passenger locos looked dull in comparison, especially on big engines like the Stanier Pacifics. The lined mixed traffic black looked much better when kept clean than the green too.

This is one of the reasons I want a Merchant Navy in original condition. The blue suited them VERY well.

Archived