Simon Kohler to leave Hornby

Jeremiah

As seen in today's (17th March MRE mag) Simon Kohler will be leaving Hornby.

It's surely sad to hear that Simon is leaving Hornby, though I've never had a chance to see him I've chatted with a lot via email and through Hornby's facebook page. A

gem of a person. Very polite and I must say one of the best people I've ever come across in the management world.

I sincerely wish him all the very best for his future....! Thanks to him and Hornby for giving me some excellent models and service for

over 15 years!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read MRE this morning and agree with the sentiments mentioned above. I was at the Basingstoke show last weekend (8th/9th), and it was the general topic of conversation on many trade stands. He has been the face of Hornby for a long time - it will be

interesting to see how his replacement copes.

A very sad loss to all at Hornby and us railway modellers.I have had the pleasure of knowing Simon since he was the sales rep for H&M and I was at Hambling's,longer ago than either want to remember.One of the very nicest and friendly person in this very

friendly business,and very approachable.I wish him ell for the future.

John Shaw.

I've not met nor personally chatted via any form to the man but from what I hear he is very well liked.

When someone of his ilk leaves a company it is always a difficult job to replace them with someone who knows his traditions and means of doing

business. His ideas were obviously of a scale where a grand vision for Hornby was formed and with that aforementioned transition to Super Detail models it will be hoped that his successor can follow on with his work and take the company to another, higher,

level.

I join you all in wishing him well and here's hoping Hornby either bring in a great visionary or at least someone who can match his prowess.

Sad to here the news that Simon Kohler is leaving Hornby. He was not only a good man, genuine, honest, cautious, professional, hard working and loyal, he was not just part of the furniture for Hornby, he was the furniture, he had been there so long. He

is also a wealth of knowledge, now that itself is one of the hardest things to follow or for someone to slot into.

We wish him well for his future, how could we not.

I am sure he has seen a lot this last two years, things we will never know

about, I am sure he, being the person he is, has been very frustrated. I am also sure he is seeing changes now that he never thought he would see. We are all getting older and as we do with so many years under our belt there comes a time to 'change track',

this is Simon's time.

Good luck for the future and thanks you. Simon I am the one at the shows, Great Electric and NEC with the red Pride power chair, you always found time to speak with and if you were with others you always smiled and acknowledged

you had seen me. Yet I am no-one really, I only came back to the hobby 6 months ago!

walkingthedog said:

Graskie said:

Never heard of him. Please don't moderate this message, Hornby.
That's strange Graskie. He said he's never heard of you either.

Hornby Forums, sometimes known as the Mutual Ignorance

Society. But the forums are working, the range of topics about which we know nothing is expanding all the time.

Fishmanoz said:

walkingthedog said:

Graskie said:

Never heard of him. Please don't moderate this message, Hornby.
That's strange Graskie. He said he's never heard of you either.
Hornby Forums, sometimes known as the Mutual

Ignorance Society. But the forums are working, the range of topics about which we know nothing is expanding all the time.

You can say that again!

(I daren't say that to WTD or Graskie)

I'm not bothered any more if nobody knows me. Even my wife looks at me like a stranger at times nowadays. Or, at least, I think she's my wife. I said before on this forum that Simon Kohler used to work at our long-established local model shop, didn't I?

Was he pushed or did he jump? (With no disrespect to an obviously great bloke).

Hi Graskie

I was careful not to walk the plank on this one keeping full compliments to a great guy.

If I was to guess it would definitely be jumped.

You said... Even my wife looks at me like a stranger at times nowadays. Are you stranger

now? LOL. Keep talking to her, I don't mean... Yes love I am coming ;-) or sorry love I was just counting my gold bars!

PJ

I am sad to see Simon leave. I don't know how they will replace 35 years experience and to be honest I do feel some trepidation at Hornby's future. The guy must be a saint with all that has gone on recently; there must have been times when he struggled

to keep calm but he did and I wish him all the best for the future.

Hornbys loss is someone else's gain.