Loco, lights on DCC

Yelrow

At the risk of being told to read the manual, i have locos whose lights are fine on DC, but when put on DCC, are lightless. I know its something to do with the drop down on the right, where it says cab lights, and have in theory clicked on this, but to

no effect. Have not had the courage to try my lighted coaches yet. Do i also, have to do something , for them to work. I would prefer to br given a simple solution, as the manual and i , are not as one, something to do with being an aged one, thanks, john

Hi yelrow

I am with you on this, we should not have to worry about being told to read the manual, when something is new or different to what we have done before sometimes even reading the manual doesn't give us a clear vision of the problem or how

to fix it. The forum is designed for us to chat and help each other, share how problems and get answers from those who know.

I would prefer to be given a simple solution.. Amen

Back to your main question...I am sure a member will help you.

PJ

Lights are function controlled, if you are using the elite it's a simple matter of using the function button to select function and pressing the on button and hey presto on the loco light come.

If you are using the likes railmaster then I carn't

help as full computer control isn't of interest to me as it takes a lot of the fun out of operating a model railway.

@yelrow

You must be nearly there if you have found the drop down menu on the right, whilst in the Loco set-up area.

I have just checked how mine operate and as well as having the cab-lights or coach lights selected from the drop down menu, I have

also got a tick in the little box against each of these.

If you have done that, close that screen down and go back to the main screen. You will find now that the Blue boxes at the bottom of the relevant loco entry now have the description you selected

from the drop down menu. You can just click on the blue button you need now to select your lights. They do not come on all the time like they do on DC, you have to switch them on or off. This can of course be done in a program.

yelrow said:

At the risk of being told to read the manual, i have locos whose lights are fine on DC, but when put on DCC, are lightless. I know its something to do with the drop down on the right, where it says cab lights, and have in theory

clicked on this, but to no effect. Have not had the courage to try my lighted coaches yet. Do i also, have to do something , for them to work. I would prefer to br given a simple solution, as the manual and i , are not as one, something to do with being an

aged one, thanks, john

Hi John,
No one has asked you this question yet...
You say your locos lights work ok on DC - does this mean you have converted them to DCC yourself by adding a decoder, and, if so did you wire the lights to the correct

wires coming from the decoder. Or were they 'DCC Ready' locos running on DC ?
Ray

Hi ray, Good question. No these are Brand New locos with fitted lights, DCC fitted. Run happily on DC with lights on, but on DCC, no lights. Its my lack of knowledge, thats the problem, but following up advice to date. My problem, is i am not a reader,

dont read books of any sort, and find reading massive on line manuals difficult to grasp. I really am a plug and play guy, and have struggled with railmaster since december. I like the CDS that come with printers, etc, that show you where things go, demonstate

etc. The product is great, its just all that reading ............. john

Yelrow. I assume, from what you say, that you are not able to get certain functions such as lights to work on RailMaster. I've pointed this out before elsewhere, and it could help you. Incidentally, SoT, function 0 is usually lights and function 1 is always

sound on/off. In the same way as the sound command, yelrow, have you set function 0 to "lights on/off"? If you don't do that, as I myself learned fairly recently, whereas you can switch that function on and then off on the Elite, without the on/off included

in the RM lights function, the lights will just very rapidly switch on and then go off. This also applies to several other functions such as shunting mode, cylinder drain cocks, blowing off etc.

Hi yelrow, You didn't say if you are using a standard DCC controller. or Railmaster? (there is a forum for RM!).

If a basic DCC controller, then F0 is used to switch lights off/on. Can't comment on RM. Coach lighting, unless fitted with dedicated DCC

decoders, will always be on, as supplied by track voltage.

• 5 months later...

I had a similar problem and eventually found that CV29 had been set to the wrong value.

Briefly (because I barely understand it myself) the CV29 value should be set to the sum of various numbers that YOU need to add up depending upon what you want to function. One of those selection is whether you want the lights to work. Unless CV29 is set to the right value, no amount of fiddling with F0 settings and buttons will make the lights work. 

It sounds more complicated than it is. I suggest you search for guidance on the 'net for setting CV29. 

• 2 weeks later...

If we're talking about using RailMaster to control the lights on a DCC fitted and working loco, then it ought to be straightforward.  The names assigned to the buttons on the screen that maps functions to actions are just names, they are not significant (except for the on/off bit at the end).  So when it says lights on/off that generally refers to directional lights which are generally set with F0.  But you could call it "custard on/off" if you wanted; Hornby just provide a list of commonly occuring actions.  So rename F0 to "directional lights on/off" if you wish.  The key thing is to know what function turns the lights on/off and to assign that function in the RailMaster screen accordingly, remembering to include the on/off at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the solution? Contrary to what has been written if you ask Railmaster to check CV Values and double click on CV 29 a question mark

comes up. If you click on this information about the bits found in CV 29 comes up. Bit 2 clearly states that it must be on for directional lights to work ( different to bit 1 which is loco direction) set bit 2 correctly and the lights will work again. I did this and it worked.

Archived