Great Goodbye A4's

Paul_Sterling

Hi Chaps,

I've briefly browsed the forum to make sure I'm not duplicating a thread.

But has anyone heard what is going on with the 'great goodbye' orders, I've pre-ordered 3 of them, and Hattons have cancelled, so rang CMC and they've said they don't know what's going on either.

What's going round the mill?

Paul

It seems that Hornby only wanted to sell all six in a special case and any of us that wanted to buy separately some of the loco's, as I did, we got cancelled. Hornby are now only out to make money and don't give a tinkers cuse for it grass routes Modellers.

I very sadden by this action. All six for over £1000.00 too much for me.

Ok, that worries me, as I was kind of getting the same response from Locomotion when i was there for the "great Goodbye Exhibition" but put it down to the person on the desks stupidity in trying to sell all 6 on the day when they didnt even have them.

so has this impacted the retailers, and hence caused Hattons email to me>?

Paul.

I'm confused, it was The Great Goodbye, not Goodbye an A4. Of course they wanted to sell them as a set.

As for 'Hornby are now only out to make money' what's that supposed to mean, they a business not a charity.

Heaven forbid that a company should

dare to make money.

They have to pay wages, buy materials, pay tax etc. If they don't make money they won't exist. I think you will find the blue box version was even more.

WTD, I agree, but to buy the 6 separately costs more. So, if we assume for arguments' sake that all models will sell however they're sold, surely Hornby will make more selling some of them individually because there's no bulk discount?

Thank goodness I'm not interested in the set. I've got my Hornby "Sir Ronald Matthews" with sound as a token gesture to the A4 class. Well, I say that but I also have a Hornby fine detail conversion, originally from TMC (with TMC box) "Mallard", specially

lightly weathered and with a "Tees Tyne Pullman" headboard fitted. I think it could be DCC ready but I would need to have a closer look inside. I might well get rid of that one but keep hesitating.

walkingthedog said:

I'm confused, it was The Great Goodbye, not Goodbye an A4. Of course they wanted to sell them as a set.
As for 'Hornby are now only out to make money' what's that supposed to mean, they a business not a charity.

Heaven

forbid that a company should dare to make money.

They have to pay wages, buy materials, pay tax etc. If they don't make money they won't exist. I think you will find the blue box version was even more.

valid point WTD, but we arent all

in a position to spend the kind of money that all 6 cost, I bought SNG from the great gathering, and decided to buy 3 more from the great goodbye set, but could i justify or indeed afford all 6? absolutely not!

I agree that Hornby make an incentive

to buy all 6 in the offering of the display case, and that is the difference, you should be able to buy separately or as a set, I very much doubt that hornby would sell all of them if it was "six or nothing"

but sadly the impression i'm

led to belive is that is exactly what Hornby are going to do.

Paul.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that this was a set of six, not six individual locos. As they're special edition I guess they will be more expensive than ordinary A4 models.

Do they actually exist as individual locos?

There

are a lot of people willing to spend a lot on locos. On another thread there's a discussion about a set of seven OO coaches at £345 + vat each.

walkingthedog said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that this was a set of six, not six individual locos. As they're special edition I guess they will be more expensive than ordinary A4 models.

Do they actually exist

as individual locos?

There are a lot of people willing to spend a lot on locos. On another thread there's a discussion about a set of seven OO coaches at £345 + vat each.

no WTD, very much six separate locos, in their own boxes, buying

all six gets you nothing more than the ticket to buy the case to display them.

Paul.

Well four of the six are on the auction site. Whether there Gathering or Goodbye doesn't matter as it's only packaging. I expect Hornby sold-out on the weekend sale. They will continue to appear on the auction site over the next few months, and at far

higher prices than Hornby were charging . Perhaps Hornby should have staggered the release of these loco's - but then buyers would have started moaning about the delays in completing the set/collection.

Yes they are special editions - I meant that the loco in the box will be the same, whether its Great Gathering or Goodbye - the outer box will of course be slightly different. I have two A4's, Mallard - it's like Flying Scotsman, you have to have one,

and Golden Plover - both Super detail models and very nice, but I don't need any more.

I personally think that these sets were not great sellers at the cost. Many have just picked out an odd one or two locos and Hornby have done a regrouping exercise and are selling them as sets direct with stock left. There will be many oddball locos out

there as part of the set and it will make the price eventually go through the roof by those who wanted but couldn't afford at the time the full set. The winners here will be the buy to speculate crowd who will take the risk and hope of getting rich from their

purchase on ebaygum from the mugs who "must have" It may also be that there was a contract with Picture Pride Displays, who make the cabinets, for a specified number. These cabinets are superb but pricy. If you add that into the cost of production, Hornby

will be aware that they need to protect any investment made there. Personally why buy 6 locos that only ever met in the various liveries depicted in a museum in York. To me that is as daft as the Britannia in black, that had about 6 outings in that livery.

Yes, I agree, WTD. Unfortunately those people buying them as an investment could well find they are not. I have gold to burn, but not on that set. Like you, I never buy special editions, apart from one surprisingly cheap in my local model shop some years

ago, perhaps because they couldn't sell it! I like to run my locos and none of those A4s are with sound anyway.