Narrow Gauge

LCDR

I had my first view of the new British outline narrow gauge RTR rolling stock and narrow gauge set track at the York show (no RTR loco yet) and I wonder why Hornby hasn't taken up this idea too.

Narrow gauge (OO9) has many advantages over full

sized OO in that anyone restricted for space can make a layout with plenty of operating potential, and even an OO layout may be able to incorporate a narrow gauge feeder line, or heritage line for modern image modeller.

I have to admit I was tempted.

There

are now many little lines in the UK and a large variety of locos to choose from.

My initial suggestions for locos if Hornby does take it up are -

Kerr Stuart 'Tattoo' type 0-4-0ST (Edward Thomas in Talyllyn), - ubiquitous

Penrhyn Hunslet

0-4-0ST (Various on Llanberis Lake Railway) - another well loved common type

NG16 2-6-2-2-6-2T ex South African Beyer Garrett, now Welsh Highland, Big and magnificent

Motor Rail Simplex Petrol / Diesel 4w shunter - extremely common and versatile

Anyone

else think narrow gauge might be useful?

Hi LC&DR

I've got to go along with WTD, leave Graskie behind, and say that Narrow Gauge does very little for me. I'll look at it, photograph it, but don't expect any enthusiasm from me.

Same with Industrial I'm afraid

At the same time

I'll admit I've seen some superb layouts - there was one at Eastleigh earlier this year which was a moorland scene with the railway running through it. Even without the narrow gauge railway we, that's me, WTD, and BB, would have still been entranced!!

All that being said there seemed to be a lot of interest at the show, well over a dozen narrow gauge layouts attracted a lot of interest, and the extra number of traders stocking narrow gauge kits and bits was noticeable.

The other surprise was

'T' gauge. Way too small for me, (I struggle with N) but this Japanese innovation was attracting loads of attention.

I suppose that the nature of this forum will tend to exclude people who might consider narrow gauge. (apart from 4' 1.5" gauge which seems to be in the majority). If it isn't "Flying Scotsman" it isn't really that interesting. :-)

Hi LC&DR

Flying Scotsman doesn't 'do' that much for me, as of late, although that is a result of the thinking you pointed out - if it's not Scotsman or Mallard, 'forget it'. And that's speaking as an LNER fan.

Like the late, lamented

Mortehoe I'm far more interested in the run-of-the-mill workaday types which actually ran the railway rather than the glamour locos that got all of the publicity.

LC&DR said:

I suppose that the nature of this forum will tend to exclude

people who might consider narrow gauge. (apart from 4' 1.5" gauge which seems to be in the majority). If it isn't "Flying Scotsman" it isn't really that interesting. :-)

The reason behind my original post was to investigate if Hornby ought to venture into narrow gauge, and not to discuss the merits or otherwise of the existing products of other manufacturers, or the popularity of it amongst forum members who are already

committed to OO (which IS narrow gauge anyway as the trains run on scale 4' 1.5" track, and not of 4' 8.5"). If the answer is 'yes' and personally I believe it should be, then what should they start with.

Narrow gauge does offer advantages to people

who have limited space because tight curves and short trains don't look quite so ridiculous, and somehow have an appeal to non-railway people who often think of it as 'cute'. N, Z and T gauges can be too small for some people (myself included) but OO9 has

the advantage of utilising 4mm scale accessories and scenic detail, but allowing tinier trains.

I have certainly noted a pro-LNER express train bias on the forum, with Flying Scotsman, Mallard, Cock of the North and Prince of Wales all coming in for

exceptional column inches, whereas small engines (e.g. those locomotives running on standard gauge on six or eight wheels only), and even such magnificent specimens as Duchess of Hamilton, Clan Line, Evening Star or King George V get scant mention.

Oh

well I'll now go off and play with my electric multiple units that EVERYBODY else dislikes. (Grumble, Grumble), until somebody brings out some nice industrial narrow gauge models.

Fazy, as I believe you are a LMS fan, have you ever considered the Leek and Manifold Railway, which was built by the North Staffs and absorbed into LMS at grouping. They had some rather splendid and chunky 2-6-4Ts on 2' 6" gauge. They had a very unusual

method of bringing standard gauge wagons along the line on a specially constructed transporter wagon. The wagon which arrived In a normal LMS goods train was rolled on to the narrow gauge transporter at the Waterhouse terminal and then was hauled to the destination

where it would stand to be loaded or unloaded. Sadly the line closed in 1934 and the engines scrapped 3 years later, but the track bed was converted to a footpath, which I can attest makes a delightful ramble.

fazy said:

i would be happy

with "Exe", "Yeo"Taw" and Lew" and lyn.

Graskie i can only agree 75% with you, what's that about Clan Line... tut tut

Naughty boys! 'Clan Line' is a magnificent machine and equal, if not superior to 'Flying Scotsman'. All 30 Merchant Navy class once rebuilt were extremely powerful and fast. Even before Jarvis rebuilt them they were exceptional performers. Read the published

results of 'Belgium Marine' during the Locomotive Exchanges in 1948 and you will see.

Archived