point motors and points

Yelrow

yelrow said:

hi, do the motors have to be the same make as the points, or can you pick and mix. I need 10 motors, and my need to eat outways somewhat inflated flebay prices, john

Which points and motors are you thinking about

using?

Some point motors will fit directly to many different makes of points. Some will only fit to the same make of point. With some point motors you may have to devise your own method of mounting and connecting to the points. P3co surface mounted

point motors can be used to operate Hornby points but Hornby surface mounted point motors (R8243) can't be used with P3co points because the hole in the Hornby point motor is too small to go over the pin of the throw-bar of P3co points.

thank you gentlemen, for your response to date.I only have Hornby points, and saw on flebay, other brands of motors, used, in lots of 4/5. I can buy new hornby surface motors, from the liverpool store for £6, but know nothing about them, the motors, not

the store. Graskie has forgotten my mounting problem, with ping pong table, so all have to be surface mounted, but i have seen, guagemaster, and another make, no longer in production. Trying to do this all on a shoe string, as budget very limited, john

@yelrow

I recently raised a thread under the General Discussion area called, 'What is your preference for Point Motors and Mounting' because I have found that the Hornby surface mounted point motors do not always operate the point completely, without

removal of the spring (this is recognised by Hornby and mentioned in the instructions).

I would prefer to use surface mounted because I tend to re-arrange my layout every few months because the modelling side of the Hobby does not really appeal to me, although

I do like to see modelled layouts that other people have created.

RDS, as long as that, i am of a similar mind, and keep changing, on a weekly basis, at times. I enjoy landscaped layouts, but they are not for me, as i want continuous running, of as many tracks as possible., john

Graskie, when i bought my fermette, the euro was 0.51, so i was very happy. Yoday its 0.817, which is the best it has been for a long time. Last year, it was 1.09. . First thing i do each day, just to see if we can still afford to eat. john

yelrow said:

RDS, as long as that, i am of a similar mind, and keep changing, on a weekly basis, at times. I enjoy landscaped layouts, but they are not for me, as i want continuous running, of as many tracks as possible., john

John
If

you wish to retain a measure of convenient changeability for your layout have you considered attaching a surface motor permanently to a point by way of say gluing a thin board (could be plastic or metal sheet) under the point with an extended part big enough

to hang the motor on. You could use double sided tape for the attachment of both board and motor and even have a 3-way terminal block for easy wiring.
Where a motor is difficult to install to a point that is close to another track you can as stated previously

use wire extension rods (I have used large paper clips straightened and bent to shape for the job. You may have to clip the plastic link between sleepers to get them to pass through).
Rob

Archived